X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bombayteddy
    • Oct 2008

CM10 speakers

I am considering purchasing a pair of CM10 speakers along with the CM-C center-channel, for use in my home-theater which is located in a dedicated, acoustically-treated room. I was told by the designer that I needed a speaker with strong low frequencies, for the bass to register in this room. I wont be using a subwoofer but bi-amping the front L/R speakers and sending ALL the low-frequency info to them. The receiver I am considering is a Cambridge Audio 751R (120 x 7) as an upgrade to my current Denon 2310.
    The room's dimensions (net, after treatment) are approximately 15'6" x 11' x 9'6" (ht) with the speakers placed in front of the 11' wall which is panelled with 4" thick foam. There is a false-ceiling made of a gypsum/Tecsound sandwich, lined above with 3" glasswool and suspended 4" below the real ceiling...which will create a basstrap. This is unavoidable, as I need to insulate the room from my neighbours! The walls are similarly sound-proofed but without an air-gap. The room will be carpeted wall-to-wall.
    My question is: would the three 6.5" woofers in the CM10 go down low with enough power for full orchestra, opera and home-theater? I am NOT a basshead but I do enjoy a solid underpinning to music and movies. Would I be better served by, say, the Revel Performa F208 which has two 8" woofers in a larger cabinet?
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

The F208's are by far an amazing speaker and IMO a better sounding lower end digging deeper speaker then the 10's. The 10's like the rest of the CM line are a magical speaker. You will need a subwoofer with the music you want to listen to. Not needed with the F208's.

Comment

• bombayteddy
      • Oct 2008

Thanks for your response! I have yet to hear both....will schedule auditions soon with their respective dealers.
      Good to know the Revels have a solid, deep low-end and dont need a subwoofer. How are the mids and highs, in comparison with the CM10? I am a little concerned because I have read somewhere they are not particularly "refined". Hope their aluminium drivers dont have a metallic "ring", especially on voices.
      Another alternative is the new Monitor Audio Silver 10, a 3-way floor-stander with two 8" woofers. Yet to be imported here....

Comment

• dan87951
        • Nov 2005

It's a toss up really. It all depends on how much bass you like. The CM9's that I had did wonderfully well but I like balanced sound that isn't bass heavy on music. On movies the speakers were lacking serious bass or punch though! I tend to like to feel stuff that blows up than just hear it. If you are speaking of needing bass for movies than I can definitely tell you the CM10's probably won't cut it. Why can't you use a sub? They do wonders in situations like this. Is a 803 Diamond out of your budget?
        dan87951
        audio guru

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

Second hand 803S or 803D could be an option? I can't tell when my sub is on in my room with my 803Ss except on extremely low stuff
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• bombayteddy
            • Oct 2008

Thanks for your response, Dan. I have never used a subwoofer and am not sure I would have the space for one....or where to put it! My old B&W 640i's certainly didnt need one for music or movies; and could reproduce (for example) the famous dance with drums from "House of Flying Daggers" with authority. However, those tweeters got ragged on top as they aged; and so the speakers were sold.
            I guess my primary need would be for a MUSICAL sound; and a (very) brief audition of the CM10 showed they have that....but at the expense of some treble air and detail, which are there in the 800D series in spades! I guess an alternative would be to go for the 805D with the matching centre and a sub. I really need to audition both properly to determine if the much cheaper CM10/CM-C combo cuts it in terms of bass weight and treble sweetness.
            Any thoughts on the Revel F208 and how it would compare to the CM10?

Comment

• bombayteddy
              • Oct 2008

Thats a good idea Tom....though I find the 803D rather too plummy in the mid-bass. I might be able to find a 2nd-hand 803S though....if thats the one with 2 bass-units (instead of 3) its a lovely speaker.

Comment

• TomScrut
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by bombayteddy
                Thats a good idea Tom....though I find the 803D rather too plummy in the mid-bass. I might be able to find a 2nd-hand 803S though....if thats the one with 2 bass-units (instead of 3) its a lovely speaker.
                My dealer who sold me the 803Ss suggested to me that the 803Ds were far too expensive for the price difference
                Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• bombayteddy
                  • Oct 2008

The entire 800D range is exorbitantly-priced in this country, owing to our currency's poor exchange rate AND the excessive import duties and local taxes.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

If your not going to add a sub then the choice is the Revel F208's. They are truly amazing at the low end.

Comment

• bombayteddy
                      • Oct 2008

Thanks....but how do they compare in the midrange and treble?

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"