X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Juzam
    • Jan 2010

Going from 683s2 to CM10 for more SPL?

Short version: Will the CM10s produce more volume running on the same equipment than 683s2s ?

Long version: I have a Rotel RB1582MKII poweramp and a Marantz KI-Pearl Lite I use as a preamp. The turntable (Audio Technica AT-LP5) is directly connected to the marantz's phono stage. The CD player (Panasonic DMP-UB900EGK) is connected to a Denon AVR-X7200WA which in turn is connected by Zone 2 to the Marantz's aux input.

I have no complaints whatsoever with the sound quality but when I play LPs the volume is lacking. I mean it can get pretty loud but not as loud as "OMG MY EARS HURT" loud.

When I play a CD, it's a very different story. It is LOUD. Very, very LOUD. %99 of the loudness I'm looking for in fact. But I like spinning records more so I want at the least the same amount of loudness.

Should I get a pair of CM10s ? Will the volume get higher?

Or should I bite the bullet and get a Technics SL1200G ?

Is this my turntable's fault or am I at the limit of that analog technology?

Another interesting observation I made when playing LPs is that the lowrange drivers are constantly on the move no matter what track I listen to but there's no sound coming from them to warrant such an extension. It's really weird seeing them extend like this. As I get closer to the absolute maximum on the volume knob resonance and a low frequency humming starts and I fear it will destroy my speakers so I turn it down. When I play CDs none of that silly business happens with the lowrange drivers. As far as the volume knob goes, the SPL gets to uncomfortable levels when I push near the maximum so I don't do that.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

short version since i am on my phone at the moment.....

most likely the output voltage the Marantz is seeing from the the CD player is higher than than the output voltage from the turn table.
    you may be able to match output voltages by adjusting the volume on the Denon.

playing near or at full volume will induce distortion from your amp. it can also potentially cause permanent damage to your speakers & worse, to your hearing.

some phono pre amps have what is called a rumble filter to deal with the low frequency woofer excursion that is inherent to vinyl.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 12 November 2016, 13:12 Saturday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TomScrut
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Nov 2013

As wkhanna has already said, it is that the gain on the Marantz phono stage, combined with your cartridge, are not supplying the voltage equal to that of the CD player. This is the main issue, and is pretty normal I would say, but could be corrected by a higher output cart (as long as it doesn't clip the phono stage) and/or an external phono stage that has a higher gain than your current one.

Just for reference, your question about speakers. The CM10 and 683 have very similar sensitivities IIRC and therefore you wouldn't get a noticeable amount of extra volume by swapping. The speakers are not the issue here at all.

Alternatively you could get a pre amp that can apply more gain (the issue you are facing is exactly why they are called pre amps I believe), as long as it doesn't send the amp into clipping. Another potential solution would be a more powerful amp but this would also be a bit futile since if you double the power you only get 3dB more headroom, and it would need either a higher internal gain or a new pre to go with it.

Ah, and the reason your speakers drivers are moving excessively is possibly because of feedback or rumbling on the record. Either way a rumble filter is the solution, or if it is feedback, place the turntable somewhere where it's less likely to be affected by the speakers.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Juzam
        • Jan 2010

I had dreadful feedback before and moving the turntable helped. The issue I'm having is not feedback, it is indeed rumble as you've pointed out. I've ordered a 20Hz inline crossover.

I think I'm expecting too much from the turntable. I want to get a Technics but the new one is unreasonably expensive. And the price they want for the old ones are just ridiculous. I might try changing the cartridge.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"