X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBibber
    • Jan 2010

Which center for my 803S

Hi,

My old matrix center died and I'm wondering which center will blend with my 803S.

I had an opportunity to buy a new HTM 3S (still closed box) but the WAF was not ok :-((.

I tried to find a HTM 4S but couldn't find any available so I'm wondering if a HTM 4 Diamond would blend in very well or if I should go for a CM C2 since it also has a Aluminium Nautilus Tweeter.

Thanks for any advice.
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

I have been thinking the same thing too recently. I would be interested to know where you found that htm3s! As far as I am aware it's very important to voice match your centre to the fronts. The Diamond I think will sound too different but it's probably worth a listen if you can. The HTM4 doesn't have an FST and the CMC2 does, but the HTM is 800 series and the CMC isn't. It's a difficult one that I think you will need to go and listen to if you can. At least the HTM4 Diamond and CMC2 can be bought new so a home demo could be an option?
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• BBibber
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TomScrut
      I would be interested to know where you found that htm3s!
      It's available in the Netherlands for pick-up (you google "b&w htm 3s marktplaats")

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

Thanks!
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

I would never let a woman run me over like this. If fact, every girl I've ever went out with loved my sound system even if they weren't into it as a hobby and I know plenty of my friends where their wives tolerated large Cerwin Vega boxes. I mean sheesh, you already have the 803S. I'd do it right and get the HTM3S and tell your wife to get over it. Still closed box you say? What I wouldn't do to be able to find a pair of closed box 805S....

Comment

• BBibber
            • Jan 2010

Tomorrow I can have a HTM 4 Diamond for the weekend.
            Let's find out if Diamonds are truly Girls Best Friend...

Comment

• emig5m
              • Aug 2008

Well time to sell the 803S and get 805D's..... :yesnod:

Comment

• BBibber
                • Jan 2010

I just got the HTM 4 Diamond connected and it blends perfectly with the 803S.
                The highs are a little sweeter but absolutely not disturbing.

Somehow the 'sharpness, (compared to the Diamond tweeter) of the 'S' tweeters improve the stereo image.

Tomorrow I'll some more testing but my feeling tells me this will be OK.

Comment

• TomScrut
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by emig5m
                  Well time to sell the 803S and get 805D's..... :yesnod:
                  That's wouldn't cost a lot to do second hand either. There is a 3 week old pair for sale over here

Comment

• BBibber
                    • Jan 2010

After a full day testing with both music (multi channel from sacd source) and movies (blu-ray DTS Master) I have to say that the HTM 4 Diamond blends in pretty well. I tried the sweet spot position switching between 2 channel and multi-channel and I could not tell a difference in tonal difference except a better sound spread over the front when in 3 channel mode.

I've never heard a blend of Diamond speakers with the 'S' line before but now I really wonder how big the differences are.

So for those that would have doubts, there is no reason to.

Even the WAF improved upon hearing.... At unpacking I got the message that I shouldn't even try but everything changed after 1 day

Tomorrow I'll place my order for under the Christmas tree

Comment

• TomScrut
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Nov 2013

That's good, I might have to keep an eye out for a HTM2D or Diamond as my long term plans are 802 Diamonds anyway and HTM3Ss are like rocking horse s***! I want one in cherry so the one you diverted me towards isnt any good. It is also too expensive in my opinion!

Tom

Comment

• kcsun
                        • Jan 2012

Hi Tom
                        This one is in the UK and has been advertised for at least 6 - 9 months

I reckon they will take an offer if you are serious with them

kc
                        Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
                        B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• TomScrut
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Nov 2013

I think it's too expensive and I actually approached them about the 802s and HTM and they wouldnt knock a lot off! I would say it's worth more like 2 grand than 3! Thanks anyway though

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"