X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimbaLand
    • Aug 2013

HTM2 Diamond vs HTM4 diamond

I just got me a pair of 804Ds and I'm looking for a matching centre. I was using the CM centre 2 which is 3 way. The htm4 Diamond is affordable vs the htm2 diamond so it makes it easier to get the htm4diamond an accessible choice but my worry is that its 2 way which may be a sound " downgrade" vs the cm centre that I'm used to.

What's your experience on the HTM4 diamond vs having the 2? I know the 2 will be better but will I be far behind sonically if I go the htm4 diamond and not the htm2 dusmond? Ill appreciate you guys experience
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I haven't had that exact setup, but I was in a similar boat with the previous series which I think would be quite similar to your situation.

I used to have 804s with HTM4s and it was quite good. Then I upgraded to the HTM3s (which was the exact match for the 804s) and there was noticeable improvement. In fact, if movies are your priority I would get the HTM2D for sure.
    Last edited by stuofsci02; 05 August 2013, 14:58 Monday.
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• windshear
      • Dec 2004

Welcome Timbaland, glad to see you made it here

Comment

• TimbaLand
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by windshear
        Welcome Timbaland, glad to see you made it here
        Thanks Rudi. I see there's a dedicated B&W community here

Comment

• stevek
          • Oct 2011

[QUOTE=TimbaLand;578578]I just got me a pair of 804Ds and I'm looking for a matching centre. I was using the CM centre 2 which is 3 way. The htm4 Diamond is affordable vs the htm2 diamond so it makes it easier to get the htm4diamond an accessible choice but my worry is that its 2 way which may be a sound " downgrade" vs the cm centre that I'm used to.

What's your experience on the HTM4 diamond vs having the 2? I know the 2 will be better but will I be far behind sonically if I go the htm4 diamond and not the htm2 dusmond? Ill appreciate you guys experience[/Q

Great question,i have the exact same set up,804d2 with the cmc2 center,i was going to just go with that because I had been really happy with the cm center. but after 48hrs of listening I can no doubt tell the difference between the 800 and cm series.
          My question would be would I lose out on home theater performance going from the cmc2 to the htm4d2.I realize that the timbre match and sonics will improve with the d2.

Comment

• leo2498
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by TimbaLand
            I just got me a pair of 804Ds and I'm looking for a matching centre. I was using the CM centre 2 which is 3 way. The htm4 Diamond is affordable vs the htm2 diamond so it makes it easier to get the htm4diamond an accessible choice but my worry is that its 2 way which may be a sound " downgrade" vs the cm centre that I'm used to.

What's your experience on the HTM4 diamond vs having the 2? I know the 2 will be better but will I be far behind sonically if I go the htm4 diamond and not the htm2 dusmond? Ill appreciate you guys experience
            I firmly believe that the HTM4Di is a better central speaker than the CM2, you need hear for yourself but I sure the HTM4 will be the winner; its better mid range and wonderful highs will love to any room, obviously the HTM2Di is a better speaker but it cost twice too.
            Leo,
            Saludos
            My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• kcsun
              • Jan 2012

I have the 803di's and went for the HTM2di centre, we have a large room and 90% of our listening is tv and film so "no contest" for us

kc
              Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
              B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• TimbaLand
                • Aug 2013

Any more of you guys with HTM2 Diamond vs HTM4 Diamond

Comment

• Rod#S
                  • Oct 2010

First my thoughts on the 2 Diamond centers. Although I have never heard the HTM4, I own the HTM2 and have heard and love the little 804 Diamond. Although B&W markets the HTM4 as the center for both the 805 and 804, I've said it before on numerous threads so I'll say it again that I don't consider the HTM4 a true match for the 804. The HTM4 has a combined mid/bass driver just like the 805 which is why I think it's the obvious perfect match for that speaker however with that combined mid/bass driver the HTM4 is lacking the FST mid range driver that is on the 804 which can create a tonal mismatch in a similar way that the HTM2 is not a true match for the 802's and 800's. Unlike that situation where there is literally no better center channel option in the lineup aside from using a 3rd 802/800 up front, with the 804 you have the HTM2 available.

As for the HTM4 vs the CM, this is tricky. Like the HTM4 I have never heard the CM speaker however I suspect the top end of the HTM4 would be much better then the CM due to the diamond tweeter and Nautilus tube, the bass is probably going to be better on the CM because like you mention it's a 3 way design with dedicated bass drivers. The tricky part is going to be the mids, part of me wants to say the HTM4 would be the better option because even though it doesn't have the FST mid range found on your 804's it is still using the 800 series technology and the mid/bass driver is 800 series tech. However the CM C2 uses dedicated drivers and it's a larger cabinet so may project sound better giving the sound more air. Tough one.

In the end only you can make the final decision. It would be great if you have a dealer that would let you take both a HTM4 and HTM2(only if you could find a way to afford the 2) home for a demo so you could decide for yourself what's the better option for yourself, your ears and your pocket book.
                  B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

TimbaLand, great to see you here. Wish I could offer some assistance on your choice but my best bet would be to support what Rod#S said above. Enjoy your 804D's!

Comment

• TimbaLand
                      • Aug 2013

Hi ShadowZA

Comment

• stevek
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Rod#S
                        First my thoughts on the 2 Diamond centers. Although I have never heard the HTM4, I own the HTM2 and have heard and love the little 804 Diamond. Although B&W markets the HTM4 as the center for both the 805 and 804, I've said it before on numerous threads so I'll say it again that I don't consider the HTM4 a true match for the 804. The HTM4 has a combined mid/bass driver just like the 805 which is why I think it's the obvious perfect match for that speaker however with that combined mid/bass driver the HTM4 is lacking the FST mid range driver that is on the 804 which can create a tonal mismatch in a similar way that the HTM2 is not a true match for the 802's and 800's. Unlike that situation where there is literally no better center channel option in the lineup aside from using a 3rd 802/800 up front, with the 804 you have the HTM2 available.

As for the HTM4 vs the CM, this is tricky. Like the HTM4 I have never heard the CM speaker however I suspect the top end of the HTM4 would be much better then the CM due to the diamond tweeter and Nautilus tube, the bass is probably going to be better on the CM because like you mention it's a 3 way design with dedicated bass drivers. The tricky part is going to be the mids, part of me wants to say the HTM4 would be the better option because even though it doesn't have the FST mid range found on your 804's it is still using the 800 series technology and the mid/bass driver is 800 series tech. However the CM C2 uses dedicated drivers and it's a larger cabinet so may project sound better giving the sound more air. Tough one.

In the end only you can make the final decision. It would be great if you have a dealer that would let you take both a HTM4 and HTM2(only if you could find a way to afford the 2) home for a demo so you could decide for yourself what's the better option for yourself, your ears and your pocket book.
                        Well I know for sure that the cm is not a match even though it has the fst.The tweeter while quite good just doesn't sound like the d2 but the htm2 is just not going to happen at this time for me not to mention I really don't have room for it. I wish I had a dealer near by so as to demo the 4 but that's out also.
                        Thanks for all your help guys I think that my only realistic option is the 4.

Comment

• leo2498
                          • Feb 2012

I have the HTM4Di one and a half year ago, I'm very satisfied with it so it will stay in my HT many years. I played music (bluray and sacd) and movies through it and the sound is really good in a small room. The FST driver is awesome but I don't know if is me but for the few music available in sacd that I prefer will not motivate me to get the HTM2Di in a future but one thing I'm sure is that no one will put more the 80 hz and below wave in a HTM2 so why spend more money in a driver that you will not use? my guess is the FST is the guilty to many people buy it.
                          Leo,
                          Saludos
                          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Rod#S
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by leo2498
                            I have the HTM4Di one and a half year ago, I'm very satisfied with it so it will stay in my HT many years. I played music (bluray and sacd) and movies through it and the sound is really good in a small room. The FST driver is awesome but I don't know if is me but for the few music available in sacd that I prefer will not motivate me to get the HTM2Di in a future but one thing I'm sure is that no one will put more the 80 hz and below wave in a HTM2 so why spend more money in a driver that you will not use? my guess is the FST is the guilty to many people buy it.
                            People have had varying results with the crossover. I had a couple movies give me issues at 60Hz and ended up at 70Hz however some have been successful at 60Hz and even lower if memory serves. The ability to go lower than 80 would mostly be room and placement dependant. I personally try and match a speakers capabilities whenever possible.
                            B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• leo2498
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Rod#S
                              People have had varying results with the crossover. I had a couple movies give me issues at 60Hz and ended up at 70Hz however some have been successful at 60Hz and even lower if memory serves. The ability to go lower than 80 would mostly be room and placement dependant. I personally try and match a speakers capabilities whenever possible.
                              I think that I was a little daring to assume that all people need to set this xover over 80 Hz, Rob what kind of issue you had perceived to 60hz?
                              Leo,
                              Saludos

Comment

• Rod#S
                                • Oct 2010

For me the speaker was distorting with intensely loud passages especially when they had strong bass content. My SSP only allows setting of the crossovers in 10Hz increments so I went from 60 up to 70 and things have been great ever since. It would have been nice to have more finite increments because it would have been interesting to find out at what exact frequency the issue resolved itself in my room.

Comment

• leo2498
                                  • Feb 2012

Ohh I see, thanks for the input
                                  Leo,
                                  Saludos

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

So I'm the only person that likes my crossover at 40Hz... and even that, at times, I think is too high. ha ha.
                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                    -Dan

Comment

• leo2498
                                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                      So I'm the only person that likes my crossover at 40Hz... and even that, at times, I think is too high. ha ha.
                                      it's a little lower than what B&W recommend for this speaker, Frequency response 41Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis
                                      Leo,
                                      Saludos

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                        Ahh... nope. I crossed a pair of 800D and an HTM1D at 40Hz. However, a pair of 803S and an HTM3S was crossed a little higher at 60Hz. The lower the better if your amps will let you get away with it. Less localization issues (twin subs can mitigate this some but most people don't roll that way) and low distortion are the benefits - as I am sure you know.
                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                          • Aug 2013

It sounds like the scale is tipping more towards the HTM2Di from what most of you say

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                            • Aug 2013

I got the HTM2 Diamond a few days ago. It sounds very lovely and its so huge it fills the room physically and sonically

Comment

• cyisone01
                                              • Feb 2012

I would have to agree - I started with the CM series then went to the 804d2 with the cm, then went to the 802d2 and htm2d2. Each step was a clear improvement. The HTM2 is huge so check out the size differences to make sure it works for you. For me I have a larger room and it fills the room like you would not believe. There are times I am not sure where the music is coming from. If you ever want to upgrade the mains this is a center channel you can keep for a long time and be very pleased with it.

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cyisone01
                                                I would have to agree - I started with the CM series then went to the 804d2 with the cm, then went to the 802d2 and htm2d2. Each step was a clear improvement. The HTM2 is huge so check out the size differences to make sure it works for you. For me I have a larger room and it fills the room like you would not believe. There are times I am not sure where the music is coming from. If you ever want to upgrade the mains this is a center channel you can keep for a long time and be very pleased with it.
                                                My intention for going the HTM2 Diamond was to future proof my upgrade to the 802s should it happen one day so I agree with you

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

I have never been completely satisfied with the HTM2(D/D2) when paired with the 802/800(D/D2). There are glaring timbre issues and lobing effects that smear tonality between the LCR which I find difficult to ignore, even when casually listening. Though it is an acceptable compromise for music systems that occasionally play movies. If you favor movies more, then the 803D2 is where you want to be for the best blend between the LCR when it's time to upgrade.
                                                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• scanido
                                                    • Apr 2006

I own the HTM2D2 and it blends surprisingly well with my 802D2. On 3 channel stereo music and movies the frontstage to me sounds well integrated, possibly a reason why B&W didn't find a need to re-introduce the HTM1D because the HTM2D2 is sufficient. Great center speaker, and leaps ahead of the HTM3S it replaced. Very happy with it.

As for HTM4D2 this speaker holds its own for sure. Several steps above the CMC2 considering its a two-way and essentially an 805D2 but with better bass output. Depending on your room, I would be content with even the HTM4D2, its that good!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Congrats on your new HTM2D2, TimbaLand! It's a fantastic speaker and should provide you with outstanding results. Enjoy!!!

I used to own the previous HTM2D when I used 803D's as my front left & right. Had my preference been movies over music, or even a 50/50 ratio, I might very well have kept the HTM2D to partner the 802D's as a front end setup. In fact, the 803D's + HTM2D would have been perfect. I had, however, always been keen to come home to Marlan Head country and settle down with a pair of 802D's. As things are, my preference ratio is 90% music (pure audio and live concert blu-rays and of course CD's/SACD's) and 10% movies and so I chose to sell the HTM2D and replace it with a single 802D centre some 3 years ago. Music is now presented in the form of a seamless timbre-matched stage and is probably as close to perfect as I can get.
                                                      Last edited by ShadowZA; 11 October 2013, 02:15 Friday.

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                        • Oct 2010

I agree with RebelMan and ShadowZA in that I don't consider it an excellent pairing, very good depending on the circumstance but no way the equal of the 802 and 800. When running with my 802's the HTM2 did a very good job with movies but with certain music I could notice a mismatch and now with my 800's it's even more noticeable, with movies it still performs great. The HTM2 is clearely the match for the 803's with really great benefits also when usng the 804's. The added mid clarity, smoothness, etc. from the marlan heads of the 802's and 800's are just more then the HTM2 can deliver. As good as a HTM1 Diamond would be if it existed I still don't think it would be a perfect match just due to the design and the fact it would sit on a different horizontal plane then the 802/800 drivers but it would probably be a lot better closing the gap to as close as you could get aside from adding a center 802/800.

Comment

• beden1
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2006

I have the HTM4D paired with 804Ds, and also the HTM2D paired with 803Ds. I'm very happy with both, particularly for HT.

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Nov 2013

Sorry to wake this thread up, but does anybody have experience of the HTM4 Diamond with 802 Diamonds? I havent got £4000 to spend on the HTM2 Diamond but I can afford a HTM4 if I feel it is a worthy purchase. At the moment I don't have a centre speaker, just 802 Diamonds as fronts & SCM1s as rears using a phantom centre, would I be better off using a HTM4 or just leaving things as it is?
                                                            Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• leo2498
                                                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by TomScrut
                                                              Sorry to wake this thread up, but does anybody have experience of the HTM4 Diamond with 802 Diamonds? I havent got £4000 to spend on the HTM2 Diamond but I can afford a HTM4 if I feel it is a worthy purchase. At the moment I don't have a centre speaker, just 802 Diamonds as fronts & SCM1s as rears using a phantom centre, would I be better off using a HTM4 or just leaving things as it is?
                                                              I think that is better wait to have all the money, the HTM4Di will be enough to a small room but you will have the itchy about the HTM2Di in your head.
                                                              Leo,
                                                              Saludos

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Nov 2013

I do only have a small room despite having 802s
                                                                Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                  • Oct 2010

Well consider this, the HTM2Di does a good job with the 802's but it is far from their equal so even if you were to get one don't think it's going to timbre match the 802's.

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Nov 2013

Ok cheers well that has given me the answer I expected, I thought if they had a similar sound then it might work, but I appreciate they don't have an FST. In all fairness the HTM2 isn't really a perfect match for the 802 & 800 is it? They dont make a HTM1 Diamond!

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2010

Correct, it does a nice job and taken on it's own it's actually a superb center due to it's size but it isn't really in my opinion an appropriate match for the 802's and 800's, they outperform it but it's the closest thing we have now with the discontinuation of the HTM1D. It's the perfect match for the 803's and a great match for the 804's as I consider the HTM4 only a match for the 805 due to it having the same drivers, it's a horizontal 805 really.

Comment

Working...
                                                                      😀
                                                                      😂
                                                                      🥰
                                                                      😘
                                                                      🤢
                                                                      😎
                                                                      😞
                                                                      😡
                                                                      👍
                                                                      👎
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"