X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moneypit
    • Dec 2005

Subwoofer for finished basement

I previously built a seal subwoofer using an Adire Maelstrom driver and Parts Express 250 watt plate amp.

Having moved into a new house, I have a clean "canvas" to build a room to house my hometheater. This will not be a dedicated theater. This will be a family room/theater and a way for us to keep all of the HT gear out of the livingroom

I have a preliminary idea of how the basement willl be finished and have a place to easily hide a subwoofer measuring 32"w x 32"h x 54" dp. This will be for a finished room measuring approximately 14'dp x 22' wide.

There will be an open area measuring 5' by 8' leading to a stairway. There is an existing exterior door at the top of the stairway.

The TV, electronics and subwoofer would be postioned outside the 14' dp measurement. The room is restricted by support columns and the TV will sit in a recess between these columns. The electronics and subwoofer will be located to the right set back at approximately another 4' under a stairway leading to the first floor.

Unlike the Maelstrom, I am not holding to any preconcieved notion of what configuration to use (size and number of drivers, amplification etc.)

Any suggestions on how to narrow down my project development?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Is there an adjacent space so that you could build an IB subwoofer?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• moneypit
      • Dec 2005

There will not be much room left for an IB subwoofer once the basement is completed.

The space under the stairway is the largest area I could use.

Updated:

I modeled the basement to give an idea of the theater area. Yo can see a sectional in the image. across from this is the RPTV, centered. The "L" shaped stairs are to the right. I am planning on placing the equipment rack under the stairs at the highest point and the subwoofer to the right. The box will extend under the small landing/90° bend.

There will be a door to the left of the RPTV.

This will be a long process as the basement is completely unfinished and having just moved in, full of boxes. The family room/Theater is the first to be started and the subwoofer/equipment cubby are the first to be framed.

-
      Last edited by moneypit; 18 December 2005, 15:19 Sunday. Reason: Added image

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Though not large enough for a 'true' IB, the area under the stairway is propably your best option, since it's much larger than any 'box' you could build and easily integrate into the room

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• moneypit
          • Dec 2005

I took a few basic measurements and I can design a simple "box" measuring 76" w x 32" high and 54" dp. About 74 cu. ft.

Would you use two RL-P15 in this enclosure or would the one suffice? Looks like 10x Vas (Vas: 148.8 L ) is 52.5 cu. ft. (1488 liter = 52.5482239 cubic foot).

Having read through a lot of the postings here and elsewhere, I am thinking of going with a Behringer EP2500 Amp.

Ebay is my first thought for the amp but, if someone knows an online shop they can recomend, let me know.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I took a few basic measurements and I can design a simple "box" measuring 76" w x 32" high and 54" dp. About 74 cu. ft.

Would you use two RL-P15 in this enclosure or would the one suffice?
            That's a great option, yes you'd want 2 drivers..... :T

This is a very trustworthy online source for the EP-2500
            Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

You'll want a Behringer DSP1124P (aka BFD) as well.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• moneypit
              • Dec 2005

ThomasW

Thank you for the link, not much more money than taking a chance on ebay.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"