X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Where To Buy

Hello all. I have a decision to make. One that can save me money. I currently live in Victoria British Columbia Canada. I also have lived, and visit often (family), Edmonton Alberta Canada. Now, I am close with a dealer (Vince) of B&W speakers in Edmonton. The showrooms in the Edmonton store definitely outdo the ones in Victoria. Victoria has up to the 803's only on display. Edmonton is an oil city. A lot of people with a lot of money. Victoria has a lot of rich people as well, but a very high cost of living. So, the Edmonton store sells a lot more 802 Diamonds then the Victoria store. Vince is not a slimy salesman. He has never lied to me to make a sale or pushed anything on me. But he tells me that (the Edmonton store) will be able to discount the 802 Diamonds far greater then the Victoria store. Which I do believe to be true. He said it will cost approx $400 to ship from Edmonton to Victoria. So what do I do? Save the cash and buy them from Edmonton and set them up MYSELF? Or buy them from the Victoria store and have those guys install them for me? I hear the 802's are difficult to get dialed in perfectly. Thoughts?
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

And don't forget if you purchase in Alberta, not sales tax. Although technically you should be self assessing the PST of 7%. I will let you do the math.

Just thinking that wouldn't you need to do some finer tuning once your speakers were placed? What does the Victoria store include in the installation? How many guys will come to deliver, unbox and place your speakers initially?

Do you have some other audiophile friends locally that would come and help? I'd love to be at an unboxing and setup of some 802's.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
      • May 2005

When I was at Sound Hounds in Victoria 3 years ago they had their previous generation demo 802 speakers for sale so I guess they never replaced them with the newer generation 802 speakers. I can`t remeber the exact quote (I think it was around $11,000 or $12,000) he gave me for their 4 or 5 year old demos but the discount was not that significant considering their age and they were the older generation 802 speakers.

I ended up buying my 802 Diamond speakers from MRAV in Richmond B.C. 2.5 years ago with a pretty good discount but MRAV has since gone out of business. MRAV delivered and had 2 guys setup my speakers for me. From what I could see you should have no problems if you have 1 or 2 guys to help you unbox and setup the speakers. You can finetune the actual placement of the speakers with the rollers over time as you have a chance to experiment with placement. Depending what your time is worth to you, I would probably say set them up yourself if your savings after shipping is more than $1,000.

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Paul Wu
        And don't forget if you purchase in Alberta, not sales tax. Although technically you should be self assessing the PST of 7%. I will let you do the math.

Just thinking that wouldn't you need to do some finer tuning once your speakers were placed? What does the Victoria store include in the installation? How many guys will come to deliver, unbox and place your speakers initially?

Do you have some other audiophile friends locally that would come and help? I'd love to be at an unboxing and setup of some 802's.
        Where do you live?

Total tax in BC would be 12% and in AB it would be 5%. So, I believe full retail on the 802's is $17500. So BC tax would be $2100 and AB $875. So a saving on tax ALONE would be $1225.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• BWLover
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
          When I was at Sound Hounds in Victoria 3 years ago they had their previous generation demo 802 speakers for sale so I guess they never replaced them with the newer generation 802 speakers. I can`t remeber the exact quote (I think it was around $11,000 or $12,000) he gave me for their 4 or 5 year old demos but the discount was not that significant considering their age and they were the older generation 802 speakers.

I ended up buying my 802 Diamond speakers from MRAV in Richmond B.C. 2.5 years ago with a pretty good discount but MRAV has since gone out of business. MRAV delivered and had 2 guys setup my speakers for me. From what I could see you should have no problems if you have 1 or 2 guys to help you unbox and setup the speakers. You can finetune the actual placement of the speakers with the rollers over time as you have a chance to experiment with placement. Depending what your time is worth to you, I would probably say set them up yourself if your savings after shipping is more than $1,000.
          I have never seen the 802's in the store. I asked why they don't carry them and it boiled down to how much money they had, or something to that effect. They can however order them.

Vince from the Edmonton store tells me shipping will be approx $400.

So if all the instal guys really do is unbox and place them, then I can probably do it myself.

Are they on the castors out of box? Or do I put them on myself?

But ya, if there is no real special knowledge needed to set them up, then I have to problem doing it will a friend. Is it basically like setting up my 683's? Just bigger, heavier, more fragile, and more sensitive to speaker placement? Because I can deal with that. Again, I just didn't know if the instal guys had some special knowledge in how to set them up. If there was some special magic in this process, then I would lean more towards buying in Victoria to get the instal, if not, I'll lean more towards Edmonton.

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
          Playstation 3
          Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by BWLover
            Where do you live?

Total tax in BC would be 12% and in AB it would be 5%. So, I believe full retail on the 802's is $17500. So BC tax would be $2100 and AB $875. So a saving on tax ALONE would be $1225.

I'm in Vancouver.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
              • May 2005

I believe there is an unboxing video of the previous 802 spealers on Youtube that you can refer to. At least for me, the guys that set it up pretty well unboxed it and just rolled them into place. I am not sure but I think the castors might have come already attached to the speakers.

Any more progress in your speaker purchase plans?

Comment

• ian1975
                • Apr 2009

Hi BWlover!

I'm sorry to hijack your thread, my twins have destroyed the tweeters of my 802d and I'm looking to upgrade to the 802di or 800di. By curiosity, what kind of discount that the dealer can give on a new order?

Thanks

Ian

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"