X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

802 Diamond dB Level

Hey people. So I was at a hi-fi shop demoing the 802 Diamonds (as I do a lot haha) and they seem to be able to play loud. Like loud. The sales guy let me be. And when I was done I asked him if I had them to loud, and he laughed and said God no. So what I am wondering is how loud can these things go? Decibel wise. With proper amplification of course. In the store it was powered by a Classé CA-2300.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Freddie40
    • Jun 2009

I was playing running with the Devil one day and my Bryston 4BSST2 clipped. It clips at 332 watts That is roughly 110DB. Normally I play at 85 to 90DB

Dave
    Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I've never found out... I crank it on a rare occasion....but normally not crazy. I'll have to whip out the DB meter the next time I feel inclined... I'm wondering how loud I do go.

I do know that since I got my PS Audio P10 Power Re-generator... I can turn it up higher on the Pre-Amp than I ever used to without feeling the uncomfortableness of it (harshness)... so I'm not exactly sure what that all means. It still "seems" as loud...but just easier to listen to at those levels. As in it doesn't sound like my amp is straining where before maybe it was?!?? I mean I think the Rotel RB-1090 should be able to handle it's own at 384 watts/ch. But who knows...I definitely could use better amplification.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

They should be (in theory) capable of 117dB @1M each, which is roughly 108dB per pair at a listening position of 4M. I drove a pair of 800D to 107dB (unclipped) at a seated position 12 feet back, but I wasn't "listening" to them when I did it. It was a test and my ears were protected. 90dB is VERY LOUD. If you routinely listen at this level you need to have your hearing checked, you better have your hearing checked.

During the music program at our church I was curious how loud it was because it would hurt my ears and I would have to wear ear plugs. I clocked it at a steady 92dB! Even my son complains that the children's program is too loud, I give him plugs to wear too, and it wouldn't surprise me if I were the only one. People neglect their ears and that's why deafness is on the rise. Something few people take into consideration when they read critiques. My hearing isn't ruler flat but it's damn close.
        Last edited by RebelMan; 08 October 2013, 12:55 Tuesday.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Just checked last night, my comfort zone is 75. 85 is pretty darn loud for me to stand to listen to. I can turn it up to 90db....but it's pretty loud!!!
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Freddie40
            • Jun 2009

How Loud and How Long

How Loud and How Long

One way that noise can permanently damage your hearing is by a single brief exposure to a high noise level, such as a firecracker going off near your ear. But hearing damage can also occur gradually at much lower levels of noise, if there is enough exposure over time. To protect your hearing, you'll want to limit your exposure to these moderately high noise levels as well, and give your ears a chance to recover after any period of noise exposure.
            For example:

At 91 decibels, your ears can tolerate up to two hours of exposure.
            At 100 decibels, damage can occur with 15 minutes of exposure.
            At 112 decibels, damage can occur with only one minute of exposure.
            At 140 decibels, immediate nerve damage can occur.
            Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• BVLDARI
              • Dec 2012

Not sure about db level (but must be over 100 from previous measurements) but I can tell you that the 802D2 run out of steam before the MC452 does.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Freddie40
                At 91 decibels, your ears can tolerate up to two hours of exposure.
                At 100 decibels, damage can occur with 15 minutes of exposure.
                At 112 decibels, damage can occur with only one minute of exposure.
                At 140 decibels, immediate nerve damage can occur.
                Just to be a little pedantic, it is unlikely that there is any immediate nerve damage but, rather, immediate damage to the receptor cells in the inner ear and/or other peripheral structures. Nerves, not likely.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"