• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zork
    • Jan 2010

damage on my 802 diamond

hi
    just got my pair of 802 diamond
    when they installed them i noticed a scratch on one of the heads just above the midrange and also the seal of the midrange were damaged.
    i mentioned it to the supplier long story short,they are going to replace the head and put the midrange in again ,at my place.is this fine or should i insist on a new pair ?
  • dukester
    • Sep 2010

Bummer about the scratch, congrats nonetheless.

My thoughts on requesting a new pair; no guarantees there...not to mention the time you'd have to wait to get them. However, if they replace/correct on the spot, you're pretty much assured they would install them correctly since (if they've got any business sense) their goal would be to balance cost and customer satisfaction.

My concern and a question to others; how would you know if the speaker is performing to spec?
    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• sg2
      • Sep 2006

Hi Zork,

Did you shoot any picture of the damage ?

The Marlan material is extremely stiff, putting even a small dent into it requires a hard impact...

Also, if you are referrig to the 1-2mm black silicon seals around the medium speakers, those often look "uneven" and manually cut, but this doesn't hurt in any way.
      Regards,
      --
      Stéphane

Comment

• azazel
        • Dec 2010

The seal arround the midrange is a very squidgy gel material and it tends to ouze out and look distorted. I doubt its damaged. It could be reseated when the head is replaced due to the scratch. They scratch as easily as a car scratches as they are painted with car paint.

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by azazel
          The seal arround the midrange is a very squidgy gel material and it tends to ouze out and look distorted. I doubt its damaged.
          They tend to look a bit like that, a black rubber ring is compressed and it squidges out unevenly! Is it grossly different to the other one? Can you post a pic? Not much you can do about a big scratch
          Otherwise, congratulations on your purchase, I hope you can enjoy them soon
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• emig5m
            • Aug 2008

If you can't feel the scratch with your finger nail you can easily fix it yourself... Heck when my friend installed my carpet the other day his toolbox or one of his tools scratched my laminate flooring out in the kitchen. The three scratches was easily noticeable and yet easily fixed in less than a minute with my auto detailing knowledge. :B I would of said something to him, but well when you're getting a free install (his wife was so pissed because he was suppose to spend the day off work with her but wound up installing my carpet...boy the look of pure evil on her face had me scared, lol... :E )

Post a pic of the scratch. As long as it's not a deep scratch that can be felt with a finger nail, it should be super simple to fix.

Comment

• James63
              • Dec 2006

Demand a new pair. If you put them on a credit card you can hold the payment if you make a claim.

Comment

• spaceteddy
                • Jan 2011

[IMG][/IMG]
                Originally posted by zork
                hi
                just got my pair of 802 diamond
                when they installed them i noticed a scratch on one of the heads just above the midrange and also the seal of the midrange were damaged.
                i mentioned it to the supplier long story short,they are going to replace the head and put the midrange in again ,at my place.is this fine or should i insist on a new pair ?
                Hi! Almost exactly the same story here, there are scratches on the lower bass speaker on one of the speakers. (NIB) I tried to remove the scratches carefully, they then dissapear for a few seconds, only to return. The dealer will replace the bass at my place. I'm pleased with that.

Comment

• sg2
                  • Sep 2006

Hi,

Okay we're not talking about the FST silicone surround seal here. Those bass driver suspensions have been scratched and this has to be replaced given the price of the speakers.

Regards,
                  --
                  Stéphane
                  Regards,
                  --
                  Stéphane

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"