X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stereophonic
    • Dec 2010

B&w 802 diamond vs Sonus Faber Elipsa

Hi.
    I've been comparing those speakers with my Dartzeel cth-8550, Esoteric X03 SE and my cables Mit Shotgun Ma, Transparent Reference RCA.
    My conclusion is that the 802 are too analitical with the musicality of the Dartzeel, who is more balanced on the Elipsa and the diamond tweeter is too shiny on the armonics.

Attached Files
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by stereophonic
    Hi.
    I've been comparing those speakers with my Dartzeel cth-8550, Esoteric X03 SE and my cables Mit Shotgun Ma, Transparent Reference RCA.
    My conclusion is that the 802 are too analitical with the musicality of the Dartzeel, who is more balanced on the Elipsa and the diamond tweeter is too shiny on the armonics.

I guess it is all about different taste for different people :T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• stereophonic
      • Dec 2010

The question is: Have you heard this speakers?

Comment

• Pedro
        • Jan 2006

I would consider a listening of 801D if you can buy it semiused. It is very musical and in this aspect could be a great if not better option than Sonus Faber :T

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I will say this much.. I have not heard the Elipsa, but it is one ugly speaker..
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Freddie40
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by stuofsci02
            I will say this much.. I have not heard the Elipsa, but it is one ugly speaker..

:T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
            Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• stereophonic
              • Dec 2010

Thanks Pedro.
              There's a problem with the 801. It's too big for my room and the Dartzeel is not enoght to move it.
              I'm going to listen the elipsa deluxe, who has the same tweeter of the Stradivari and is finished in red violin lacker.
              Another chance could be to change the Mit to Transparent in the speakers to down the highs on the 802.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I had a quick squiz at the Stereophile review of your amp (interesting) and the photos of your room on this forum in the system pics section. Somehow your conclusions do not surprise me.

Like most systems it would seem that domestic constraints dominate your listening room and setup. I see no room treatment of any kind and you have a hard coffee table top reflecting the highs in your face. Detail does not sound analytical if you have your system set up right, detail is engaging.

I have a friend with an Esoteric player and it does benefit from vibration control. If the benefits are similar to my experience with my DAC you will get better highs as a result.

Based on the room as you have it you may find the SF offer the better compromise, it may or may not be the best speaker however if other factors are colouring the sound.

Good luck with your speaker hunt
                Attached Files
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• stereophonic
                  • Dec 2010

Great opinion ,Briz. Thanks.
                  Really i don't have acoustic treatment ( WAF ). Tomorrow i'll recieved the Elipsas to compare. I'll try to retire the glass on the table to compare the high's changes.
                  But i'm interested in your opinion of the best compromise of SF in that kind of situations and your conclusion on the stereophile review of the Dartzeel.

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

well with two GREAT "gears" like Dartzeel cth-8550, Esoteric X03 SE a SF or the 802DI is really a personl taste.

the SF give a sound a lof "hot", the 802DI is more analitic, faster as the SF...

are 2 "soud" very different: Personally I found the SF not simply to drive and have a sound that is not for all....and for a B&W fans is more harder..

personally : 802DI :T :T

style

Comment

• Canuck525
                      • Sep 2010

Take the Esoteric X-03se out of the picture. I had that cd player and it simply isn't a good match for the B&W 802D.In my opinion the sony xa5400es at $1500 is a better sounding player.

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Take the Esoteric X-03se out of the picture. I had that cd player and it simply isn't a good match for the B&W 802D.In my opinion the sony xa5400es at $1500 is a better sounding player
                        wow, I dont't elieve in a player with a price from $.38000.- (like Weiss medea) but the Sony 5400, with al respect is really another planet vs. esoteric!!

the Esoteric, the more "simply SA50" is amazing and you don't can compare the x03 with a ca5400 from Sony!!!

at this point point I say you bay a Ipad as music source and you have the same as the Esoteric?!?!?! 8O 8O

forgot this "pojt of view" ...I have respect for your "idea/opinion" but hey man a mni copoer is not a maserati!!

PS: I beliebe in the peformance from Sony or the ROtel Rcd1520, Denon 1510,....but is another world!!

style

Comment

• Canuck525
                          • Sep 2010

I had the sony scd-1, simaudio moon eclipse, esoteric x-03se , bryston bcd-1. All of these players were good, especially the moon eclipse and bryston bcd-1 .My least favorite of these players was the esoteric.It all comes down to system matching and I just didn't like the esoteric.The esoteric was simply too digital sounding.Otherwise it would have been a very good player. I didn't even keep it long enough to break it in but got rid of it. The sony xa5400se doesn't have the razor sharp imaging of these players but the tonally quality of the sony is better( imo). I just wish it had the imaging of the eclipse,esoteric or bryston.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Hi,

at the TopAudio in Milaan I had in MY hand the transport sistem from a cd player from Esoteric:
                            around 1 kilo very steel and not "plastic or similar..."

Top job in construction, top in persormance.... :T :T :T :T :T

other brads make a cd player very nice at very good this is sure but I can say:
                            ar first a cd player "great" (Esoteric, Bryston, Meridan,Weiss-_Mede,...)
                            and for a moie a bluray palyer not too much expensive (buy a Denon Ad1UD or the Marantz UD9004 = waste money!!)

I have a Pioneer lx91(09 in Usa ?), a Denon 3800 but with a player like the oppo (1/3 the price from Pioneer ) or other model CALLED mid level like the deon 2010/2011 you can have the topin video and change this player every year!!! (thing - normally - not possibile with a cd player from 5000$$ at minimun)
                            Bluray rub too fast for invest much money for it ...and the "super" model like Deon or Marantz are "death in a litle time vs. a long long life from a CD player high end like Esoteric/Meridian/Bryson/Marantz/Electrocompaniet....

greetings stykle

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"