X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beamobhoy
    • Apr 2013

New B&W CM1 owner - needs help with stands

Hi there, just restarting my hifi adventures after a few years out due to carpet crawlers! I have always wanted a pair of CM1's due to their gorgeous looks (the only speaker the wife would have) so ordered a pair and they arrived this Thursday (my first ever B&W). I am starting out by pairing them upto an Onkyo AVR (NR515) as I already have this in situ in the lounge (play a lot of spotify, internet radio etc). I know it's not the best of amps for the CM1s but I will eventually upgrade my amp to a Rotel sometime in the future (wanted to get the speaker right first!).

My question comes out of trying to find a speaker stand to suit - I don't like the cost or looks of the B&W stand so wandered what any other CM1 users have and how did they attach to the speaker (easily or some mods).

Thanks
  • cunningjim
    • Apr 2013

Hello beamobhoy,

I recently purchased my first CM1 rosenut veneer speakers and am very happy with them. My space is small (12x18) so I decided to mount them on speaker wall-mounts (VideoSecu Side Clamping Speaker Mounting Bracket from Amazon) about 7 ft above the listening area. Floor stands would not work for me but with proper placement on the wall (0.5M from the back wall) and experimenting with the foam plug, I am happy with the sound. I also have a subwoofer and surround speakers but the CM1's are my two main LR speakers. Just a suggestion.

Comment: the CM1's are not as efficient as the other small B&W speakers so you may find that your NR515 will need to be cranked up a bit to really open up the CM1's.

Jim

Comment

• beamobhoy
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by cunningjim
      Hello beamobhoy,

I recently purchased my first CM1 rosenut veneer speakers and am very happy with them. My space is small (12x18) so I decided to mount them on speaker wall-mounts (VideoSecu Side Clamping Speaker Mounting Bracket from Amazon) about 7 ft above the listening area. Floor stands would not work for me but with proper placement on the wall (0.5M from the back wall) and experimenting with the foam plug, I am happy with the sound. I also have a subwoofer and surround speakers but the CM1's are my two main LR speakers. Just a suggestion.

Comment: the CM1's are not as efficient as the other small B&W speakers so you may find that your NR515 will need to be cranked up a bit to really open up the CM1's.

Jim
      Thanks for the reply. My space is about 25x14 but the speakers will be in a corner so angled towards the rest of the room. Due to a patio door, wall mounting is not an option for me. Seen a few stands but getting hole positions information is near enough impossible! Going to end up getting some gloss black stands - the same as the speakers and will not worry too much about the sound implications!

My NR515 is not the best match but for the time being i'll have to crank it up - god help the neighbourhood!!

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Just good search speaker stands... there's TONS out there.

For my 602s3, I go the VTI VSP ones, filled them with sand and they are awesome!

Shop Wayfair for A Zillion Things Home across all styles and budgets. 5,000 brands of furniture, lighting, cookware, and more. Free Shipping on most items.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• beamobhoy
          • Apr 2013

There certainly are loads of stands out there! Plumped for some Norstone Stylum 2's as they are slim, gloss black good lookers like my CM1's! Shall await delivery of both and then play!

Comment

• Grzywa
            • Apr 2013

What about making pair out of black marble ? Sure You can find marble stonecutter someware near.
            example - http://www.norstone-design.com/media...AND_HEADER.jpg
            Audio
            Source/Display
            Cabling/Power
            AV: Onkyo TX-NR818 + BT
            F: 683 (Bi-amp)
            C: Boston VR12
            S: 685
            Sub: 2x SVS SB13-Ultra
            12TB Media server (XBMC Database)
            Intel NUC i3 XBMC Media clients
            PS3 Slim SSD
            xBox 360 Slim
            D-Link WiDi
            Samsung 51" PS51E6500
            Optoma HD33
            Gigabit Cisco SLM Switches
            HDMI - all 1.4a 1m to 15m long
            Fornt LFQ: 4mm OFC solid core + thin fibres
            Front HFQ, Center: Belden Audio 4mm OFC - med fibres
            Rear: 2,5mm OFC (15m)
            CyberPower UPS (Sine wave)

Comment

• beamobhoy
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Grzywa
              What about making pair out of black marble ? Sure You can find marble stonecutter someware near.
              example - http://www.norstone-design.com/media...AND_HEADER.jpg
              I'm not that adventurous!

Comment

• Grasynoll
                • Mar 2006

Check out Sanus, alot of options

Comment

• beamobhoy
                  • Apr 2013

Got them, fitted them onto the Norstones and enjoyed some music yesterday. However, I managed to "pop" one of my tweeters already - arrrrrrgh! Just got a straw and sucked it out but there's still a "ring" visible. That's life!

They are sounding good already but the Onkyo definitely needs cranking up a notch or 12 to get them to perform. I have read reviews about these speakers and many of them have said they lack bass - not here! Had to dampen them with the bungs.

Comment

• Nuz1
                    • Jun 2011

If I may ask, how did you pop a tweeter?

Comment

• beamobhoy
                      • Apr 2013

Not entirely sure, guess it must of been when I was repositioning them, I did have them pushed onto my body whilst moving.

Comment

• Nuz1
                        • Jun 2011

Thanks. I have CM5s. I'll make sure to take care when I move them.

Comment

• ears to you
                          • Jan 2013

Attaching Speakers to Stands

Originally posted by beamobhoy
                          Hi there, just restarting my hifi adventures after a few years out due to carpet crawlers! I have always wanted a pair of CM1's due to their gorgeous looks (the only speaker the wife would have) so ordered a pair and they arrived this Thursday (my first ever B&W). I am starting out by pairing them upto an Onkyo AVR (NR515) as I already have this in situ in the lounge (play a lot of spotify, internet radio etc). I know it's not the best of amps for the CM1s but I will eventually upgrade my amp to a Rotel sometime in the future (wanted to get the speaker right first!).

My question comes out of trying to find a speaker stand to suit - I don't like the cost or looks of the B&W stand so wandered what any other CM1 users have and how did they attach to the speaker (easily or some mods).

Thanks
                          Hi beamobhoy,

I have CM5s on Sanus Ultimate stands, and I attached them with poster putty. Many, many posts have discussed using Blu Tack under the speakers, and this is the same stuff, albeit a generic version from the stationery store. You roll 8 pieces, each about pea sized and shaped, and put 4 underneath each speaker (one near each of the corners). You then push down on the speakers to squash the peas, and this creates a nice, removable, non-marring seal, as well as helping to sonically better mate the speaker to the stand. If you need to remove the speakers from the stands, you simply grab the speaker and twist from side to side (rotating it in relation to the top of the stand). Trying to lift them straight off will damage the finish, as the bond under the speakers becomes incredibly strong, but I have done it the other way several times with absolutely no problems. I don't know if your CM1s have screwholes on the underside like my CM5s, but if they do, be sure to first cover the holes with scotch tape to prevent the putty from getting into those threads.

I hope that this helps in what you are trying to do, and good luck with your new speakers!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"