X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

CM1 sound fantastic...

I bought CM1 few years ago becouse i was impressed from the sound for such a small speaker, and use them as a rears for a while. After that i upgrade the rears with 805s to be match for my 803s/htm3s.... More then one year Cm1 was boxed ... Few weeks ago i decided to organize my work room (3m x 4,5m) and to make second setup for that room.. I used Cm1 and got original B&W stands (tigher bass when i put that). After few weeks of experimenting i got totaly emotive sound, even more emotive then my main setup based on B&W 803s. I got this with my McIntosh C2300 Preamp, Musical Fidelity V-DAC and Rotel RB-1080 as amp. For transport im using Pioneer DV-696 DVD Player..I have small problems with boomy bass but when i put the Cm's like 1M from the rear wall everything become very tight and clear.. Interesting RB-1070 dont sound good with Cm1, and RB-1080 is just right.. I tried different preamps like Rotel RC-1090 (good sound with RB-1080), RC-1550 (very bad ), and RA-1520 (very muddy sound and i was dissapointed).. Harman Kardon HK990, very clear sound, but a bit agressive and i realize that it's its a bit hard to listen long time.. And just for experiment i moved C2300 to this setup.. AWESOME..Another level.. Sound is so clear, so tight and very good imaging.. It's very emotive and envolving sound. Very close to the music.. U forgot about everything and just music is important.. This setup is more emotive then my main setup as i said before.. When i listen 803S sound is very good, but somehow more distant, more cold.. Anyway i found out that CM1 deserve good high class electronic and made me feeling so good while i listen..

Just to share my experience with u guys..

Greetings

Darko
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I understand what you are saying. I just picked up a pair of used CM7 and moved them into my listening room for a couple of weeks.. I was surprised at just how good these things sound. I also did have a bit of boomy bass too, but I used the port plugs and that really helped.. My review should be on here somewhere as it is only about a week or two old..

Cheers

Stuart
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• specialized
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by stuofsci02
      I understand what you are saying. I just picked up a pair of used CM7 and moved them into my listening room for a couple of weeks.. I was surprised at just how good these things sound. I also did have a bit of boomy bass too, but I used the port plugs and that really helped.. My review should be on here somewhere as it is only about a week or two old..

Cheers

Stuart

I tried with port plugs but i lost dynamics and sound was not so open.. So i decide to move them from the wall.. They are exactly 55 cm from the wall (measuring from the back side of speaker)

Darko

Comment

• greenhorn
        • Feb 2007

I have a pair of CM7 in the front and CM1 in the rear, very happy with the sound. While CD's often disappoint due to mastering and all, DVD's generally sound fantastic.

Comment

• specialized
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by greenhorn
          I have a pair of CM7 in the front and CM1 in the rear, very happy with the sound. While CD's often disappoint due to mastering and all, DVD's generally sound fantastic.

I had a feeling that Cm1 offer better sound then CM7.. When i was buying 2 years ago, i wanted Cm7 but it lacked something.. And i prefered Cm1.. After that i got 803s as well, then 805s as rears

Cm1 is very good speaker.. The main problem is if u use the rule that u'r electronics should cost as speaker cm1 wont sound good. It need very good electronics to start sounding very very good. As i said Rb-1070 dont sound good, and RB-1080 is ok with Cm1.

Darko

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

I can't comment on the CM1 vs CM7 as I have not heard the CM1. Greenhorn should be able to do a direct comparison though.

When you compared the CM1 to the CM7 was it in the same room with same electronics?
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• btf1980
              • Aug 2007

C'mon, the CM1 is not better than the CM7. I've had them both at the same time.
              A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by btf1980
                What did you find?

I have CM7 and also 804s, and I know that the CM7 sound very good even compared to my 804s :E . Better then I would have ever thought. If the CM1 is even close to the CM7, then they are one helluva deal..
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• specialized
                  • Apr 2008

I can't comment on the CM1 vs CM7 as I have not heard the CM1. Greenhorn should be able to do a direct comparison though.

When you compared the CM1 to the CM7 was it in the same room with same electronics?

Yes.. Exactly same room and electronics and side by side (i had them both in same time).

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• specialized
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by btf1980

Same here In Same time in same room same electronics

Darko

p.s. this not mean CM7 is not good, just that i prefered cm1 to cm7

Comment

• stuofsci02
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by specialized

Darko

I find this quite odd.. Since the CM7 and CM1 use the same tweeter they should sound the same on the top. With the FST and dedicated bass driver on the CM7, they should have a nicer midrange and certainly a deeper more balance bass.

The only thing I can see the CM1 having that would be better then the CM7 is a smaller cabinet and so possibly less coloration, and better driver integration which is usually the case when comparing a two-way to a three-way. I still think that this would be minimal however.
                      Main System:
                      B&W 801D
                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                      Oppo BDP-105
                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                      B&W CM7
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Emotiva UPA-2
                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• btf1980
                        • Aug 2007

What did you find?

I have CM7 and also 804s, and I know that the CM7 sound very good even compared to my 804s :E . Better then I would have ever thought. If the CM1 is even close to the CM7, then they are one helluva deal..
                        The CM7 has much better bass and authority. There really is no comparison between the CM1 & CM7 in this regard.

Comment

• btf1980
                          • Aug 2007

I find this quite odd.. Since the CM7 and CM1 use the same tweeter they should sound the same on the top. With the FST and dedicated bass driver on the CM7, they should have a nicer midrange and certainly a deeper more balance bass.

The only thing I can see the CM1 having that would be better then the CM7 is a smaller cabinet and so possibly less coloration, and better driver integration which is usually the case when comparing a two-way to a three-way. I still think that this would be minimal however.
                          Bolded the part I agree with. It's true.

Comment

• btf1980
                            • Aug 2007

Darko

Fair enough. We all have opinions. 8)

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

I think Specialized is making the point that the cm1 can make great music (better than $$$ speakers in this case) with well matched electronics and positioning being very important to achieving this. This does not surprise me at all really. "speakers first" is true to a point, but if you get a decent pair (like the CM1 obviously) then it is no longer the bottleneck in system performance compared to the other factors.

My 804s are less than 20% of the total value of my 2 channel gear, far from a typical example maybe, but a well executed system based on a good speaker can sound better than a so so setup with a "better" speaker. The skill (or luck) in getting good sound is partly what makes hifi a hobby.

On the other hand I have swapped in my 705 in the past and they didn't stay more than one song. All things being equal (including synergy) the "better" speaker will sound better in my experience.

I think Specialized needs to do something about his 803s system however.
                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                I think Specialized is making the point that the cm1 can make great music (better than $$$ speakers in this case) with well matched electronics and positioning being very important to achieving this. This does not surprise me at all really. "speakers first" is true to a point, but if you get a decent pair (like the CM1 obviously) then it is no longer the bottleneck in system performance compared to the other factors.
                                I agree to a point, however, he stated it was the same room and equipment. In this case the better sound should be the result of the better speaker. Now perhaps the room was too small for the CM7, however, I can think of few instances where a set of CM1 should outperfom the CM7.
                                Main System:
                                B&W 801D
                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                Oppo BDP-105
                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                B&W CM7
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

A B&W dealer said to me (this was pre di range) that his preferences were 802D then 805 then 705. Basically in the more modest speakers he was preferring the simple small box 2 way speakers over speakers like the 703 or even 804. This is only one opinion but he was able to listen to these speakers all day long.

That is not to say he is "right", its just one opinion. I know that he likes a very open sound and that this is more readily achieved with a small 2 way. I still purchased the 804 even though I knew the guy I was buying them off thought the 805 was better.
                                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• specialized
                                    • Apr 2008

On the other hand I have swapped in my 705 in the past and they didn't stay more than one song. All things being equal (including synergy) the "better" speaker will sound better in my experience.

I think Specialized needs to do something about his 803s system however.[/QUOTE]

I have the same feeling about 705s Very dry, not emotive, not musical.. I had a chance to use them one month and didnt enjoy at all..

About doing something about my 803s system... Well I did it.. Yesterday i got a Benchmark DAC1 PRE.. And well.. Another post would follow but im impressed from clarity , dinamics and imaging that i got..

U see? U Ask me to do it, and i done it with speed of the light

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• specialized
                                      • Apr 2008

I agree to a point, however, he stated it was the same room and equipment. In this case the better sound should be the result of the better speaker. Now perhaps the room was too small for the CM7, however, I can think of few instances where a set of CM1 should outperfom the CM7.

Nope In same room and i ended with 803s. So it's not small (it's like 28 square meters). I prefered Cm1 to Cm7 in term of imaging, and less coloration then Cm7. I feel that CM7 made more colored sound then CM1. Also Cm1 becouse are so small, in this room totaly dissapered in the space and i got impression that there is no speakers at all (which help in illusion of feeling music)

Again.. It's just my feeling about it..Dont meen it's absolute term And also i dont like the bass of CM7.. It produced more bass then CM1 but in the way that i dodnt like (like it was missing punch or definiton or something). Any way CM7 is much better speaker then 683 (also have on test in same period.. Maybe i'll find pictures from that test where i had at home in same time CM1, 803s, 683, 804, 705..).
                                      If u have a chance put CM1 on some better electronics (In my case dont work with RB-1070 Rotel, with RB-1080 start sounding ok, and i have a feeling that maybe if i had a chance to put them on McIntosh or something it would be even better.. My point is that in HiFi is not everything absolute.. And i have a feeling that sometimes we dont give a chance to very good equimpent based on some rules like "the most expensive part of the system should be the speakers.. etc.." The main thing is to listen and feel the music and emotion.. If u have that feeling that's the right thing.. The bad thing is that we dont have always chance to do that.. Lucky we have forums like this for that situations

Darko

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• specialized
                                        • Apr 2008

The only thing I can see the CM1 having that would be better then the CM7 is a smaller cabinet and so possibly less coloration, and better driver integration which is usually the case when comparing a two-way to a three-way. I still think that this would be minimal however.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

Darko

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

I have the same feeling about 705s Very dry, not emotive, not musical.. I had a chance to use them one month and didnt enjoy at all..

About doing something about my 803s system... Well I did it.. Yesterday i got a Benchmark DAC1 PRE.. And well.. Another post would follow but im impressed from clarity , dinamics and imaging that i got..

U see? U Ask me to do it, and i done it with speed of the light
                                          In defence of the 705 it does a great job at the rear of my HT, no problems there.

Re your 803S, if my 804s are anything to go by you can get some really really nice results out of them if you tweak the right elements in the system.

Comment

• specialized
                                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                            In defence of the 705 it does a great job at the rear of my HT, no problems there.

Re your 803S, if my 804s are anything to go by you can get some really really nice results out of them if you tweak the right elements in the system.

I got impressive result with this Benchmark DAC. So much details, dynamics and the words from my gf " I have the feeling like speakers start dancing and moving around"

I'll write more details after i do more listening. B&W 800 series need serious electronics.. If there is some bad part of the chain u gonna feel it.. But if there is good components, they obviosly sound very very impresive..

Darko

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

To me that is kind of the point of good speakers -ie revealing everything upstream for what it brings to the party.

I think that something missing from this forum is discussion on system building and lessons learnt along the way. I may take some photos and do a thread on it. Often the photo sets here are just eye candy for components without any story behind the system, what had a big impact and what had only a small impact, etc. I have not posted pictures for a while as my room and system is not that pretty al "house and garden", but a picture can tell a thousand words and the story of the build might be useful for some starting out, even if it is what not to do.

Comment

• dan87951
                                                • Nov 2005

For the size the CM1's are remarkable!
                                                dan87951
                                                audio guru

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"