X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

7.1 setup- B&W DS3's or CM1 S2's??

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide on whether I should purchase a pair of DS3's or CM1 S2's to complete my 7.1 home theater setup. I have all CM series speakers in my 5.1 setup currently. According to the Dolby site I see the surrounds would move to the sides of my couch(at ear level) and the Centre back speakers would be placed in the back directly behind me. My back wall is 24.75 inches from the wall to the back of my couch. If I purchased the DS3's and mounted them on the back wall 65 inches high( this is where the bottom of the speaker will be) then it would clear the cut out in my wall that was there when I moved in and mount them flush to the back wall. Would I get the intended surround effect from this setup or would they be mounted too high? I could alternatively get speaker mounting brackets and point them down but I feel that the whole point is to get the best surround effect possible from the limited space I have to work with here.

The CM1 S2's match my other CM series speakers and I can purchase the matching stands and/or buy Target stands that are 28 inches in height which would give me an optimum height for my centre back surrounds. The only issue there is the speakers would be approximately 15 inches away from where I sit. Is that a sufficient distance to acheive the 7.1 surround effect? I'm not entertaining staying at 5.1 because I have 2 extra amplifier channels for this purpose and want to do the best i can to make this setup work.

On the cost side. For the DS3's I would require cabling, wire management cord covers and for the CM1 S2's just the speaker cable, blu tac possibly if I get the Target stands, and speaker stands.

Which setup would work best given the space dimensions? My living room is adjoining to my dining room so cant place the DS3's on the side walls.

Any ideas, comments, experiences are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

RoMan
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

Anybody here to provide some advice on my situation?

RoMan

Comment

• RoMan
      • Jan 2007

Hi all,

I figured it out and I have the direction I want to go in. Thanks for the views.

RoMan

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"