X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knot_m3
    • Sep 2012

Compare 805s vs PM1

Has anyone try audition between 805s vs PM1 for the front channel of a home theater set?
    Now, I already have htm4s for the center channel, Anthem MRX500 for the avr and Martin Logan Dynamo1000 for sub, and I'm deciding to buy a pair of new PM1 or used 805s for the front channels of my home theater system.
    I have listen to PM1 at the store and love the sound but I have never listen to 805s before. The thing is, many of my friends who has listen to both speakers said that PM1 will have less impact than the 805s. Also, PM1 tends to choke when it comes to a really deep bass in action movies, which is my main concern.
    So, which one is more suitable for watching (action) movies?

Btw, I choose these 2 speakers because my room is not so big (3.5m. x 5m.) and I have a 110" (16:9) projector screen. So, a bigger speakers like 804s will block out some view of the person sitting beside me.
  • leej
    • Feb 2009

Even though the 805s would be better, I don't think that either could provide the deep bass needed for the best HT experience. A good sub would be a solution with either pair.
    Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
    B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

I would go 805s plus a sub for sure..
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Antus
        • Apr 2008

traditionally, 800 series has MUCH better resale value over time. If you get a 805S, u will pretty much get all money back after few years of usage.

It would not be the case with PM1.

Comment

• leo2498
          • Feb 2012

I agree with neither will you get the bass for movie playback, the 804 neither. they are speaker for music performance so in this field they will give its best but for movies you will need to get a decent subwoofer and the other hand you have a big room so maybe with the PM1 you will no get the necessary sound pressure.
          Leo,
          Saludos
          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• knot_m3
            • Sep 2012

Thanks for the answers guys. I think I will go for 805s, with my existing dynamo1000 sub.

Comment

• John22614
              • Feb 2010

Good decision.....especially since you already have the HTM4. With the 805's you wil have a very nice set up.
              B&W 804s Mains
              B&W HTM4 Center
              Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
              Marantz AV 7005 processor
              Anthem MCA 30 Amp
              Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

I really like my PM1's! They have some great sound for such a small speaker. I do think the tweeter is a little crisper on the PM1 than the older 805S since it uses the older aluminum technology however the bass from the 805S is much better. If you have a small room to fill and love the gloss finish, the PM1's mounted on the factory stands are absolutely beautiful to look at!
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• philw101
                  • Jul 2012

I agree with the consensus here. The 805s sound so much better than the PM1s, the midrange and highs are roughly the same but the 805s have a superb amount of bass for such a small standmount.

For home theatre, a sub would be required. what ever you chose, post some pics in the gallery, would be interested in seeing the setup.
                  Samsung D7000 55" LED TV, B&W 800 Series - 804s,HTM3s, 805s (Rears), B&W ASW825 Sub, Onkyo PR-SC5508, Classe CA-5200, Classe CP-500, Classe CDP-102, Oppo BDP-EU95, SKY+ HD, Sony PS3 , B&W P5 Headphones. Pro-ject Debut III Turntable

Comment

• dan87951
                    • Nov 2005

Just to clarify I did some extensive testing over the weekend against a set of older Nautilus 805's (just picked them up) and the PM1's had better bass response than the N805's. Actually the PM1 was an overall better speaker than the older N805 in every category. However, my original statement comparing the 805S vs the PM1 still stands. The PM1's have a very similar topend/midrange as the 805S but cannot compare to it in the bass department. I do like how the PM1 has a tweeter enclosure made out of metal to further reduce resonance and give that feeling of a better build quality though. The N805 and 805S are plastic tweeter enclosure and the new 805D is metal like the PM1.
                    dan87951
                    audio guru

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"