Is my reciever up to the test for B&W's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaguarXKR
    • Aug 2012

Is my reciever up to the test for B&W's?

I currently have a Pioneer SX-1080 and a Sony STRDH520. Currently looking for Sansui G-9700. Are my two current recievers decent enough to power my B&W's 684's and most likely CM9's?
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

What do you find yourself between the Pioneer and the Sony? The Sony looks to be a budget model to me. Power supplies are the expensive part of a receiver or amp, even when you are spending lots of dish the better models are often distinguished by the quality of the PS which is ultimately driving your speakers.

In theory the pioneer should do better but that depends on how it has aged and on the quality of the original implementation. I have a 100 watt Nakamich power amp and it was better than my Marantz 7300OSE (135w).

Everything in your system makes a difference and only experimentation will tell you what is adding what to the sound. A balanced sound should be what you are after, one that you can happily live with over time. That is achieved through synergy of you components and your room.

I would try and borrow a range of different amps, including a valve amp, to discover what works for you. You may discover that the pioneer is all you need to get that synergy.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• JaguarXKR
      • Aug 2012

Everything was checked on the pioneer and everything was cleaned and checked out good.
      Originally posted by Briz vegas
      What do you find yourself between the Pioneer and the Sony? The Sony looks to be a budget model to me. Power supplies are the expensive part of a receiver or amp, even when you are spending lots of dish the better models are often distinguished by the quality of the PS which is ultimately driving your speakers.

In theory the pioneer should do better but that depends on how it has aged and on the quality of the original implementation. I have a 100 watt Nakamich power amp and it was better than my Marantz 7300OSE (135w).

Everything in your system makes a difference and only experimentation will tell you what is adding what to the sound. A balanced sound should be what you are after, one that you can happily live with over time. That is achieved through synergy of you components and your room.

I would try and borrow a range of different amps, including a valve amp, to discover what works for you. You may discover that the pioneer is all you need to get that synergy.

Comment

• stevek
        • Oct 2011

i have been down the road it looks like you are headed down.from my personal experiance i would tell you to get a processor and seperate amps if you wan to get the most out of your b&w's.i started with avrs,"denon then a pioneer elite vsx 52" and wasnt happy with the sound.once i went to seperate's it was a night and day difference.if money is no option there are tons of options,if you have a budget like me there still are some great options.emotiva,nad .i also have the cm9's.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"