X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herbonbay
    • Jan 2005

Comcast and a new Sony ?

Last week I bought a new 42 inch Sony 3LCD projection TV. Untill today I've only had Comcasts basic analog service, so I've been playing around with the Sony's built in tuner. I found it interesting that the Sony found more than 80 digital channels, some of which seem to approach HD. Actually, the picture quality of many of the ntsc channels was so good that I was thinking of forgoing the extra $40 that Comcast wants for their DVR cable box and HD service. I should also mention that the picture quality from DVDs played on my Pioneer Elite Universal disc player was astounding. Needless to say, so far I'm very happy with the Sony. Today the Comcast technician ( delivery guy ) shows up, takes 10 minutes to hook up the DVR cable box and was unable to answer even one of my questions. The main question was, " where is that ungodly BUZZ coming from?" Actually I'm wrong, he was able to answer one of my questions, his answer was , "Its coming from your right speaker." Thanks! I've never even had a low hissss in my system, so this was immediately maddening. The delivery guy suggested I adjust the volume, so I signed his work order and let him leave. Unfortunately, I also had to leave for work so didn't have a chance to fiddle with anything. My assumption is this. The Comcast box is suppose to be sending a digital signal. I also assume both the video and audio signal are digital. Yes/ No? The Sony has 2 digital audio outs ( optical or digital coax) that should run back to the receiver. This morning I didn't have either of these digital cables that were long enough to reach from the TV to the receiver. Currently I only have the analog connection that worked fine before the DVR cable box was connected. Does my assumption that the problem is the current lack of a digital audio feed from the TV to the receiver ring true with the AV Gurus here? Also would you go with optical or digital coax? I'm also thinking that a cable card might be the way to go since the Sony's tuner seem very capable. I'm not sure if Comcast in Maryland is even offering the card yet and I'd hate to give up the DVR option. Regards
    Herb
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

The hum could just be from a ground loop issue caused by the cable.

I'm not faimilar with sony...but most menu systems with cable card would be inferior to the comcast cable box. Personal prefernce is the key here...plus you won't get any special features like, on demand or any ppv.

Optical/digital...shouldn't really matter, whatever cable you have laying around would do the trick.

I would think comcast would scramble the HD channels, so surprised you can recieve them without the box. Once you see TRUE HD 1080i or better, the channels you thought were in HD aren't even close.

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

Herbonbay-
      The Sony is a great TV. I am assming that you have the KDF-42A10 that just came out last month? What a wonderful set. I have last years modle of 55 inch RP LCD.
      The ATSC and NTSC tunners built in are awesome! Here is what I did.

I chose NOT to pay the extra money for the Dish Network HD package. I am also saving money by not getting the HD reciever as well. I kept my Dish reciever from 2 years ago. I use the Tunner built in to the Sony to get all my local chan (abc, cbs, nbc, and fox) in HD for FREE! I too have digital outs. I run my digital out from my TV to my Denon 3805 so that I can enjoy the programing in Surround Sound! :T

Unless you are planning on getting HBO, or some sports package, I would say save your money and stick with what you have. Almost all the new cable/sat boxes now come with Digital outs! If you do get one, then hook it up to your reciever and enjoy the digital outs of the cable box.

I also went into the set up for my TV and turrned off my speakers in the TV. So all my sound must come through my stereo. It is an awesome set up for me.
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

Junior Blue- The Sony's built in tunners will recieve and decode all the way up to 1080i. When I first hooked my TV up, I had the basic cable as well as the dish so that I could get local channels. Local chan just now came availible to dish customers in my area.

But I got some 180 channels from the Sony. HBO, all kinds of cools tuff. TWC then figured it out and turrned off the feed. But any ways that is my thoughts on this.

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

That's something I've been meaning to try...using the rabbit ears to pick up the local HD channels. Since I have 2 attenae inputs...

I have the DVR box with HD from comcast, very nice...not perfect but It beats the $600-700 units from sony and the likes. Something like this, I don't mind renting. If it breaks get a new one...until the prices drop down to much more reasonallbe...i.e. less than $100.

Comment

• Herbonbay
            • Jan 2005

The Sony is a great TV. I am assming that you have the KDF-42A10 that just came out last month?

Yes it's the KDF-42A10. I always liked the Sonys, but due to size limitations and the fact that Sony, until now, stuck several inches of speakers on the sides , I had to look at other sets. I was thrilled when the KDF came out. I've been at work since noon Sunday, so I've down loaded the manual for the Comcast DVR from the Motorola website. Ok, how do you guys spend most of your time at work? Working?! If you have the motorola box, I would highly recommend downloading the manual, it's been very helpful. Tomorrow I'm going to unconnect the Comcast technician/delivery guys work and start over. The question is which of the connections on the box are actually active?
            Herb

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

Post the link to the manual download?

Comment

• Herbonbay
                • Jan 2005

#hellomoto | Discover our new unlocked Android phones from motorola and stay informed about our offers and promotions.
                Herb

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

Thank-you!!

Comment

• westrock
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by junior77blue
                    The hum could just be from a ground loop issue caused by the cable.
                    I had this happen with my Comcast feed, I had to position the cable just right to get rid of the hum.

Today the Comcast technician ( delivery guy ) shows up, takes 10 minutes to hook up the DVR cable box and was unable to answer even one of my questions.
                    Don't feel bad, when I had the Charter guy come over I told him there was a S-Video and Optical in the empty spot ready to plug in, he said "That OK, I always use the RF" ;x(

Comment

• Snap
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2005

:laughat: that is funny.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"