X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player - pixel count/conversion

I read the following in the March 2004 Home Theater (page 28) stereo magazine:

Regarding the Pioneer DV59-AVi universal disc player, "The DV59-AVi uses 14-bit/216-MHz video DACs that deliver professional-quality video processing; higher bit rates translates into higher visual resolution. A new pixel conversion IC called T-Rex is also included, which automatically increases a DVD's pixel count from 720 by 480 to 1280 by 720 or 1920 by 1080 from all video sources. This specialized saurian chip allows for upconversion of traditional DVD signals to high-definition resolution"

Does anyone know what this means? Does it work, or is it a case of making something from nothing? Would this player display DVDs with a noticeable improvement (over other DVD players) on a Sony CRT 36HS500 TV, for example, with a component video connection?

I've read and heard many comments about the high reviews of the Denon universal DVD players, but haven't heard much about the Pioneer DVD products. In this magazine article, they seemed to indicate this Pioneer is a very top notch machine. Any comments? Thank you.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

In general, the verbage you're referring to is how scalars, video processors, etc "upconvert" video from one resolution to a higher one. This is how the HD-output DVD players are able to put out an HD resolution from a standard DVD. Don't be fooled, this is not a true HD picture. Yes, it will look better and cleaner than a standard progressive scan player, but the extra information is just doubled and extrapolated from the existing lines, it is NOT 720 lines of original, unique data.

This Pioneer is a good player, along with the Denons.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris
      the extra information is just doubled and extrapolated from the existing lines

Chris nailed it here - it ISN'T a true HD image.

I just want to add that how well the interpolation is displayed will only be as good as the coding that was written to accomplish it. In other words
      1. it may look dynamite
        it may add some perceived amount of detail
        it may not add anything
        it may actually detract from the quality of the picture
      Now, if it's Faroudja-based, you have a good chance of a dynamite image, but just be careful about scaled imagery. If you are serious about a possible purchase of this model, go to a retailer armed with high-quality DVDs you are familiar with and do side-by-side comparisons with other players, if at all possible. Remember: caveat emptor.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

You may also want to look in to purchasing a separate scaler or putting together a HTPC with scaling capabilities as either will allow you to have more than just 1 source scaled and, in the case of the HTPC, also allow you to play games, surf the web, email and compute (ie: word processing, drawing programs etc). I mean would you rather have a scaled DVD image or a scaled everything image? (Keeping in mind that yes it is "just" extrapolated information)

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

One such scaler is the DVDO Iscan HD.

I like this unit although it is expensive at $1500. Just one of the neat features is the Automatic Video Format Routing.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Those are quite nice :P but if it was my $$$, I'd still go the HTPC route...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"