Classe CA-M 600 vs Electrompaniet NEMO for 800 Diamonds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

Classe CA-M 600 vs Electrompaniet NEMO for 800 Diamonds?

Hello everybody. My current system at the moment is all top of the line Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP/4.8/NEMO driving a pair of B&W 800 Diamonds (the latest ones, not D).While the system sounds impressive it doesn't sound as effortless as it should (keep in mind that I don't have dedicated lines yet and most of the living room seems to sit on one line!). I know that NEMO's eat tons of current so that could be the problem. I can't help but wonder if switching to all Classe set up (CP 800/CA-M 600) would be a good idea. The Classe/B&W set ups I heard at the dealers all sounded like the amps and the speakers were literally made for each other. How would you compare the sound of CA-M600 vs NEMO?
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Can you test at home, or take your amps to the dealer? This would be my recommendation..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Antonkk
      • Jan 2010

Anyone?

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

The Nemo is an impressive spec'ed amp, I've not heard one, but I'm sure its no slouch. I'm not sure what improvement you'd hear with an M-600 pair, but I think I'd look else where first. You've mentioned power, a dedicated circuit for the audio equipment often makes a very worthwhile improvement. You could also make sure your speaker cables are large enough (perhaps by bi-wiring), and perhaps play with speaker placement a bit. If none of this brings you anything, then I would try to audition the Classé amps at home. You would want a dedicated power circuit with a Classé setup too.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I think it will hard to find someone who has heard both on 800di..

I would also consider adding the Chord SPM 1400MkII mono power amplifier to your list to try..

Cheers..
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
            • Oct 2010

I looked up the Nemo on the Electrocompaniet site, if I'm looking at the right amp, the AW600 then it has 600 watts. I can't imagine going from one 600 watt amp to another 600 watt amp doing a lot for you if you are not getting an effortless feeling now. Different amps may produce different tonality so you may get an overall different sound but when I hear the word effortless I immediately think of more power being added to give more air to the sound so staying at the same wattage doesn't seem to me that is what you are looking for and it's more power you are after.

With that in mind I would look for some amps at around 1000 watts or more like the Bryston 28B-SST's, McIntosh MC1.2KW or MC2KW to see if those open things up and give you that effortless sound you are looking for. I'm not saying buy them I'm just saying try to get an in home demo with a more pwerful amp and those the 3 that immediately come to mind and see if it is really more power you are lacking rather than a different tonality you want to achieve which doesn't require more power.

If it's a different sound you are after then yes, giving the Classe a try will be worthwhile and I wouldn't stop there or even limit yourself to 600 watts, amps with less power may please you as well.
            B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I do not know what the current reserves of the Nemo are but you might like to take a look at the Krell Evo amps ... maybe an Evo 600. I'm driving 3 front-end 802D's (previous series) using a Krell Evo 403 and I can honestly say (always my humble opinion, of course) that the sound produced is effortless. I would say that current delivery is a very important amplifier characteristic when considering amp/800D compatibility.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

I have 800Diamonds with CA-M600 they are made for each other. I had heard the nemo as well before but decided to keep it in the family and go with Classe. In addition I was concern about customer service for Electrocompaniet here in the US.
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Antonkk
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by wettou
                  I have 800Diamonds with CA-M600 they are made for each other. I had heard the nemo as well before but decided to keep it in the family and go with Classe. In addition I was concern about customer service for Electrocompaniet here in the US.
                  Wettou, how would you compare the sound of Classe vs NEMO driving 800s?

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Antonkk
                    Wettou, how would you compare the sound of Classe vs NEMO driving 800s?
                    THe sound with the classe is very neutral it does add anything, where as with the nemo it is a bit warmer. Not my taste I like to hear the music the way it was recorded even if the recording is bad then I get rid of it
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Antonkk
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by wettou
                      THe sound with the classe is very neutral it does add anything, where as with the nemo it is a bit warmer. Not my taste I like to hear the music the way it was recorded even if the recording is bad then I get rid of it
                      What about the speed, sounstage, bass slam, control etc? I agree that Electrocompaniet adds a certain warm coloration. Not nearly as much as, say, McIntosh or tubes but still.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

What about the speed, sounstage, bass slam, control etc? I agree that Electrocompaniet adds a certain warm coloration. Not nearly as much as, say, McIntosh or tubes but still.
                        I find the ca-m600 very powerful, I am not sure what you mean about speed? Last time I checked my amps didn't move :B

Comment

• Marco Lisi
                          • May 2008

Hi Antonkk

Word is that the NEMO's were developed for the B&W 801's some time ago. So made to match...

The Classé as 'in house' product is also made to match.

I think that both amplifiers are very valuable and have their strong points.
                          They both are very powerfull, although the NEMO's give you more feel of that power..the really push strongly in the low frequencies.

Something you should really pay attention to is the powercords. Both amps will perform better with a 'reference grade' power cord.

In terms of capability to drive the bigger B&W's, both won't disappoint.

In my opinion the overall sound of the NEMO wavers slightly to the warm side. Mids and highs will run very smooth. Due to drive, speed and control it will open up the low end and offer a real 3D image in sound.

As the 800Di is more a 4 Ohm speaker, then a 8 Ohm speaker, we are talking 1200Watts of juice here 8O

The Classé then. They sound smooth, very refined and (more) involving. But as Wettou already stated they lean more to musically neutral then sligthly warm. That's a personal choice to make. In my opinion the Classé handles the lower frequencies in a slightly more balanced way. Everything is there, but without being obvious.

Summary? Both are great amps and very capable to drive the bigger B&W's, specially the 800Di. There is a slight difference between them, but that's a personal one to make.

Something to think about. The 'right' choice in powercords, interlinks and ls-cables can influence the end result in a positive way as well.

On a personal note: I've listened to a lot of different amps on the latest 800Di and went for the NAD M2, powered by a PurePower 2000. Although these products are not specially designed for each other, I think they are a match made in heaven.

Good luck!
                          Diamond Room
                          Acoustical treated room with reference 7.3 av system

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

Are you looking for a faster amp?

Cheers,
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

The thing I love about the CA-M600 is that they disappear and are able to drive the 800Diamond to levels that goes beyond anything I have heard with no distortion even for bombastic orchestral music. :T

Pick up this Blu Ray and play it loud you will see what I am talking about :E

Keeping Score-Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique [Blu-ray] San Francisco Symphony, Michael Tilson Thomas

With two 800Diamond and three 802D I closed my eyes and I am at the symphony

In addition customer service from Classé has been outstanding. I heard horror stories about Electrocompaniet in the US.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"