802 Diamonds with DB1 on 2 Channel only ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edgeyboy
    • Nov 2006

802 Diamonds with DB1 on 2 Channel only ?

Hi.

I have a pair of the current 802 Diamonds, a Classe CP800 and Classe CA2300.

Would I gain anything adding a B&W DB1 to the set up purely for music listening ?

The CP800 has a sub out for 2.1

Thanks
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Edgeyboy
    Hi.

I have a pair of the current 802 Diamonds, a Classe CP800 and Classe CA2300.

Would I gain anything adding a B&W DB1 to the set up purely for music listening ?

The CP800 has a sub out for 2.1

Thanks
    I think you would as the DB1 is quite a great sub. Do you feel there isn't enough bass right now?

I have always been partial to two subs in a stereo setup..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Edgeyboy
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by stuofsci02
      I think you would as the DB1 is quite a great sub. Do you feel there isn't enough bass right now?

I have always been partial to two subs in a stereo setup..
      It's my inquisitive side making me wonder what I'm missing

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

B&W db-1 have two 12 inch woofers. One 802D have two 8 inch woofers, or the same square area as one 10 inch woofer - or adding up the two speakers what correspond to one 12 inch woofer. So DB-1 have two times as much woofer area to move air.
        So provided a successful integration you stand to gain a lot.

Comment

• windshear
          • Dec 2004

I have a pair of 800Di's with a pair of DB1's. I tested a CP800 a while back, now i dont remember the crossover settings that i used, however i do remember trying to use the secondary trigger on the DB1's to use the internal crossover corresponding to the 800Di's for supposed better integration. To put it into perspective i found when turning off the power amp there was no audio comming from the DB1's. Which tells me one of two things , firstly there was no bass in the music i used and it was a lot of different music or the internal crossover in the DB1 was working too severly and too low. When i used the settings in the CP800 it was usable. The bottom line is if you are a bass junky it will be possibly to add to the lower end. I dont believe there is a lot of music out there that would justify getting a subwoofer for your speakers.

However you may want to use the subwoofer to address a room mode or bass anomaly you might or might not be aware of. I have 4 subs in total in the room to address various issues mainly for Home theater. Ironically i enjoy the room induced boost i get off my 800Di's compared to crossing over at 40Hz and using my subs. It of course does vary with the source material , in general i enjoy it but sometimes it does become rather bloated. So for stereo i use my 800Di's in a direct mode without subs. I used to have the older 802D's and yes they did not go as low as my 800Di's, but i was only aware of that when running specific test tones and measuring the output. Under normal circumstances you would not be aware of it. Maybe you can organise a demo DB1 unit from your dealer as that will give you the best indication if it will work for you in your room and with your equipment.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"