X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hberg
    • Apr 2008

Advice from Classe' Friends

I have an opportunity to purchase a Shunyata Hydra 8, from the original owner that he says is in perfect condition - $1,100 ($2,500 new). Also available is a Shunyata Anaconda Helix Alpha (excellent condition), 6ft. power cord w/ 20 amp I.E.C. plug which mates w/ the Hydra 8 - $900 ($2,000 new).

I need advice from my friends on this board. Is this something that is going to make a difference in the sound of my system?

My current system consists of the following:

Classe' SSP-800
    Classe' CA-3200
    B&W 804S (L&R)
    B&W HTM3S (Center)
    Rotel RMB-1075
    B&W Signature 7 (L&R Surround)
    B&W CCM817 (L&R Surround Back)
    SIM2 Domino 30H
    Stuart 100" Screen
    Playstation 3
    RTI T2C Remote
    Rotel RT-1084
    Denon DVD-2900
    Denon CDRW-1500
    Apple TV

I value your opinions, and I thank you in advance for your input.
    "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

Sounds like a good deal to me. I have the Hydra 8 and the next one below in the line, namely the Python, and I love it.

There is a fairly expensive upgrade to the Hydra 8 if you are interested. Check the Shunyata website.

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I don't have experience with the shunyata, but I've heard different reports from it. some think its snake oil and some swear buy it. personally, I opted to go with the APC s-15 for the battery backup capabilities. here in florida we get a lot of power flickers and its not good for the equipment in those circumstances.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Hberg
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
        I don't have experience with the shunyata, but I've heard different reports from it. some think its snake oil and some swear buy it. personally, I opted to go with the APC s-15 for the battery backup capabilities. here in florida we get a lot of power flickers and its not good for the equipment in those circumstances.
        I've heard the same different reports; however, I am looking for the opinions of those in this thread. This way I hope to form a more informed decision based upon the opinions of my friends in the Classe' Forum. While the opinions may differ, I still value the input.

I've also seen that Shunyata has a "new and improved" power condition in the Hydra V-Ray or the Hydra 8 Version II, but I've heard so much about the Hydra 8. I am curious as to what everyone thinks about this opportunity.
        "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hberg
          I've heard the same different reports; however, I am looking for the opinions of those in this thread. This way I hope to form a more informed decision based upon the opinions of my friends in the Classe' Forum. While the opinions may differ, I still value the input.

I've also seen that Shunyata has a "new and improved" power condition in the Hydra V-Ray or the Hydra 8 Version II, but I've heard so much about the Hydra 8. I am curious as to what everyone thinks about this opportunity.
          I know MrDoggy had a shunyata. He'd be a good reference to ask.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

I was told by many non box pushers plug it in the wall and forget these plus they will limit the current
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ChrisssB
              • Feb 2006

I don't think it is current limiting as it's passive..
              Anyway I used Hydra 8 (with anaconda helix) for a few months...
              I was pleased with what it did: more and better bass, blackness etc..
              at the same time I didnt notice it did anything wrong to the sound..(everything plugged on it: cp-500, ca-2200, technics transport, Benchmark dac 1 usb)
              The dealer gave it to me, to try it.
              I got the Vray II and it does the same, only more.

BTW couldn't the seller give it to you for a day to try it?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"