• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

B&W 801D

All,

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of 801D's that were traded in on a pair of 800Di. These 801D's are a couple of years old and are in mint condition on display at my dealer. He wants to sell these and is willing to deal. I believe I can get them taxes in delivered for ~$10k (this is in Canada).

For the time being I will have my Chord amp only to power them. I have heard this combo before and it sounded great although I am sure they could use more power. The Chord is 130w into 8ohm, 170w into 4 ohm and 210w into 2 ohm. The amp although rated low is extremely stable into low resistance speakers. Obviously I would not be able to crank the hell out of them though.

Thoughts???? Thanks!
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

I know in Hong Kong a pristine used 801D will go for around 12k but that probably doesn't help. you can check audiogon.

Comment

• Pedro
      • Jan 2006

For $10K? I wouldnt think twice. Amazing speakers one of the best I ever heard even compared to big and two times more expensive.

Regarding your gear dont worry. They wont play all Its full potential (especially in bass area) but they will sound incredible as they arent too dificult to be loaded (minimum impedance doesnt down below 4ohms accordingly some measurements).

Then the only thing you would check is your room size. They will play a lot better if placed into rooms above 40sqm area.

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Thanks Pedro,

My rooms is quite large.. 15ft wide by 25ft long. It is actually even bigger then this, but this is the area I have my speakers centered in. The total area is 42 sqm. I also have room treatment.

See pics below. My 804s are 10 ft apart on center. and out 3ft from the back wall. I will sell my center speaker and gear and go strictly stereo..

Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pedro
          • Jan 2006

Great room, you wont have problem. I second you having a stereo setup especially if you dont enjoy too much movies and is more into the music and live videos. I´ve always had an opinion HT and stereo cant live in the same room, except when you have too much money to build a very large room where you can sit far enough from the speakes to get all that result.

Hope you can get them soon, dont lose that oportunity! Have you already got a chance to listen to them?

Comment

• Rod#S
            • Oct 2010

I wouldn't think twice about it. If you had no plans on say upgrading to perhaps 800 Diamonds at some point in the future having an opportunity on 801D's for 10K Canadian no less how can you say no, I mean really, They will absolutely destroy your 804S speakers. Many have preferred the 801D's over the 800D's back when both were being produced so that says a lot as to their qualities. Moving the 804's to the surrounds will be super sweet as well. As to the amp, don't sweat it, you can always upgrade that later if you wish, no biggie.
            B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Pedro
              Great room, you wont have problem. I second you having a stereo setup especially if you dont enjoy too much movies and is more into the music and live videos. I´ve always had an opinion HT and stereo cant live in the same room, except when you have too much money to build a very large room where you can sit far enough from the speakes to get all that result.

Hope you can get them soon, dont lose that oportunity! Have you already got a chance to listen to them?
              Thanks Pedro!

I find I mostly use my system for stereo, so I would rather put the money into that. I will sell the 804s, the HTM3s and the amps for them.

Even when I watch Bluray music concerts I find I prefer in stereo instead of surround.

I will try to jump on this...
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
                I wouldn't think twice about it. If you had no plans on say upgrading to perhaps 800 Diamonds at some point in the future having an opportunity on 801D's for 10K Canadian no less how can you say no, I mean really, They will absolutely destroy your 804S speakers. Many have preferred the 801D's over the 800D's back when both were being produced so that says a lot as to their qualities. Moving the 804's to the surrounds will be super sweet as well. As to the amp, don't sweat it, you can always upgrade that later if you wish, no biggie.
                Rod,

I have heard the same thing about the 801D.. Aside from being monsters people have said great things about them. I have no plans for 800Di.. I was thinking at some point for a some 802Di, but the used 801D is much less expensive and should also be amazing. Since I have the space for it, I think it makes sense.

Unfortunately the 804s and the HTM3s will have to go in order to make this a less costly upgrade (best angle to go with the wife). I have been wanting to go to a stereo only setup anyways as I listen almost exclusively to stereo.

Cheers!

Stuart
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

Do you guys know of any good reviews of the 801D.. I can't find really anything.. When I type 801D into google I get a whole bunch of Youtube videos of Perdro's 801D's playing rock and roll...
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                    Rod,

I have heard the same thing about the 801D.. Aside from being monsters people have said great things about them. I have no plans for 800Di.. I was thinking at some point for a some 802Di, but the used 801D is much less expensive and should also be amazing. Since I have the space for it, I think it makes sense.

Unfortunately the 804s and the HTM3s will have to go in order to make this a less costly upgrade (best angle to go with the wife). I have been wanting to go to a stereo only setup anyways as I listen almost exclusively to stereo.

Cheers!

Stuart
                    Going stereo eh, that's quite the move. It'll certainly help pay for the speakers though. If you had been thinking of the 802Di, can you get an opportunity to hear the 801D's and 802Di's at your dealer's, preferably in the same room? The reason why I bring that up even after saying people have preferred the 801D over the flagship 800D is that the concensus is that the new Diamond series are a very nice refinement to the speakers and are a noticeable imporvement over the original diamonds so it's possible you may like the 802Di more than the 801D.

Will you be selling your subs? If getting the 801D's and going stereo you may not need/want them anymore. If you still plan on using them then the combination of stereo speakers and subs may suit a 802Di system more than a 801D system. Just something to noodle on.
                    B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Rod#S
                      • Oct 2010

Do you guys know of any good reviews of the 801D.. I can't find really anything.. When I type 801D into google I get a whole bunch of Youtube videos of Perdro's 801D's playing rock and roll...
                      Weird, I just did a search as well and can't find any official reviews. There are reviews for the old 801 Matrix and 801N but nothing for the 801D which is strange. The reviews are all for the 802D and 800D.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
                        Going stereo eh, that's quite the move. It'll certainly help pay for the speakers though. If you had been thinking of the 802Di, can you get an opportunity to hear the 801D's and 802Di's at your dealer's, preferably in the same room? The reason why I bring that up even after saying people have preferred the 801D over the flagship 800D is that the concensus is that the new Diamond series are a very nice refinement to the speakers and are a noticeable imporvement over the original diamonds so it's possible you may like the 802Di more than the 801D.

Will you be selling your subs? If getting the 801D's and going stereo you may not need/want them anymore. If you still plan on using them then the combination of stereo speakers and subs may suit a 802Di system more than a 801D system. Just something to noodle on.
                        I have listened to the 801D and the 802Di, but not at the same time to compare. My dealer has both so I could do this. I did like the 802Di, but I also like the 801D. But when you consider $10k for 801D vs. $15K for 802Di it would be hard to justify even if I did like the 802Di better.

I think I will keep the subs for movies only. I still think the 801D would not have that on demand deep deep bass you need for movies.
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                          • May 2005

Stuart, it sounds like you are maybe in for a nice upgrade to your already outstanding room and sound system. I only have my 802D's in 2 channel format and love it every time I sit down and listen to music with my IPAD and Squeezebox Touch (thanks again for that suggestion!). Fortunately the 804's still have very good resale value so the upgrade should not cost you too much after all is said and done.......go for it :T

Comment

• Pedro
                            • Jan 2006

Sorry for that. I love them

Pls send me a PM with your email address and will send you a great review from hi-fi world published at B&W website years ago.

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Hi Stuart,

That sounds like a wonderful upgrade to me.

I'm intrigued to know how you will integrate your two subs because if I owned a pair of 801Ds then I'd probably want to listen to them at full range, which may require a more powerful amp as others have mentioned.

Nigel.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

What's the resale value on 804s as a percentage of the rrp? Of course I am in a different market. I figured the 804 would be hard to shift these days so I was going to keep mine either at the rears or stored in a spare room. They are still nice speakers so I would rather keep them than get poor resale due to a slow market.
                                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                                  Stuart, it sounds like you are maybe in for a nice upgrade to your already outstanding room and sound system. I only have my 802D's in 2 channel format and love it every time I sit down and listen to music with my IPAD and Squeezebox Touch (thanks again for that suggestion!). Fortunately the 804's still have very good resale value so the upgrade should not cost you too much after all is said and done.......go for it :T
                                  Rick.. Yours is a sweet setup. How are you liking that DAC.. It has been a while since we talked...

Just an FYI.... Logitech is cancelling the Squeezebox :cry: .. So if you want another, now is the time.

It is true the 804s have good resale. I am close enough to Toronto that I have 8 million possible customers within an hour... I don't expect to have any trouble selling them.
                                  Main System:
                                  B&W 801D
                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                  B&W CM7
                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2009

Sorry for that. I love them

Pls send me a PM with your email address and will send you a great review from hi-fi world published at B&W website years ago.
                                    PM Sent
                                    Main System:
                                    B&W 801D
                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                    B&W CM7
                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by bigburner
                                      Hi Stuart,

That sounds like a wonderful upgrade to me.

I'm intrigued to know how you will integrate your two subs because if I owned a pair of 801Ds then I'd probably want to listen to them at full range, which may require a more powerful amp as others have mentioned.

Nigel.
                                      I am not sure yet.. I have an Emotiva USP-1 preamp which has a built in analog crossover for the subs. This is how I do it now. So my 804s are crossed at 50HZ (which is the lowest).

With the 801D I might just run them full range, but with the subs hooked up too. For music I will turn the subs off, for movies I will turn them on and cross them on and cross them over low.

I haven't worked this out completely yet..
                                      Main System:
                                      B&W 801D
                                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                      Oppo BDP-105
                                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                      B&W CM7
                                      Emotiva UMC-1
                                      Emotiva UPA-2
                                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                        What's the resale value on 804s as a percentage of the rrp? Of course I am in a different market. I figured the 804 would be hard to shift these days so I was going to keep mine either at the rears or stored in a spare room. They are still nice speakers so I would rather keep them than get poor resale due to a slow market.
                                        The market here is quite strong.

I should be able to get $3000 for the pair. I think MSRP was $5000 + tax here in Canada.

For the HTM3s I should get $2200. I think MSRP was $3300.

I find in general the 800 series will hold at least 60% of its value.

In Canada where I live we have 13% sales tax, so buying used avoids this too, which I am sure helps the used market.
                                        Main System:
                                        B&W 801D
                                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                        Oppo BDP-105
                                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                        B&W CM7
                                        Emotiva UMC-1
                                        Emotiva UPA-2
                                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• akhter
                                          • Jun 2005

Thanks Pedro!

I find I mostly use my system for stereo, so I would rather put the money into that. I will sell the 804s, the HTM3s and the amps for them.

Even when I watch Bluray music concerts I find I prefer in stereo instead of surround.

I will try to jump on this...
                                          I went a similar route:

Initially I had:
                                          Anthem MRX700 receiver (sold)
                                          B&W N804 fronts (sold)
                                          B&W XTC Center (sold)
                                          Velodyne DD12 subwoofer (sold)

Now:
                                          B&W 802 Diamond fronts
                                          Linn Akurate DSM pre
                                          amp to be purchased.

Have a look at Linn Majik DSM.
                                          It is the only integrated stereo amplifier that also has HDMI (LPCM) and a audiophile grade DLNA streamer and DAC. Currently I use this but will move to my second home in a few weeks after buying an amp as the Akurate DSM doesn't have amps.

With the Majik DSM you will be able to replace your emotive preamp, the logictech squeezebox and the DAC for an overall better solution. The Linn also has a great ipad control app.

Comment

• Antus
                                            • Apr 2008

801D is the best speaker in the 800 series range. It too bad b&w discountinued it. for $10K, it a pretty good deal.

u will need a powerful amp to control the 15inch bass. I listened to 801D with Exposure MCX amp with around 200W/channel and the bass was only soso. may need something like Krell, Parasound JC1 or similier to make it punch.

804S are great speakers and one of the best wanted speaker in 2nd hand market. don't sell it too soon. when u regrate in the future, u will need to pay more to buy it back.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by akhter
                                              I went a similar route:

Initially I had:
                                              Anthem MRX700 receiver (sold)
                                              B&W N804 fronts (sold)
                                              B&W XTC Center (sold)
                                              Velodyne DD12 subwoofer (sold)

Now:
                                              B&W 802 Diamond fronts
                                              Linn Akurate DSM pre
                                              amp to be purchased.

Have a look at Linn Majik DSM.
                                              It is the only integrated stereo amplifier that also has HDMI (LPCM) and a audiophile grade DLNA streamer and DAC. Currently I use this but will move to my second home in a few weeks after buying an amp as the Akurate DSM doesn't have amps.

With the Majik DSM you will be able to replace your emotive preamp, the logictech squeezebox and the DAC for an overall better solution. The Linn also has a great ipad control app.
                                              I appreciate the suggestion.

I would like however to match my Chord amp with the appropriate Chord preamp. I very much like the Squeezebox, so I will not be changing that out soon. I will however match with a very good DAC at some point..

Cheers

Stuart
                                              Main System:
                                              B&W 801D
                                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                              Oppo BDP-105
                                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                              B&W CM7
                                              Emotiva UMC-1
                                              Emotiva UPA-2
                                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Antus
                                                801D is the best speaker in the 800 series range. It too bad b&w discountinued it. for $10K, it a pretty good deal.

u will need a powerful amp to control the 15inch bass. I listened to 801D with Exposure MCX amp with around 200W/channel and the bass was only soso. may need something like Krell, Parasound JC1 or similier to make it punch.

804S are great speakers and one of the best wanted speaker in 2nd hand market. don't sell it too soon. when u regrate in the future, u will need to pay more to buy it back.
                                                I am not so sure about the powerful amp though. I would have thought this to be the case too, but Pedro sent me a very in depth review. And I quote:

"801Ds score over
                                                NS1000Ms, and
                                                in a massively
                                                convincing way,
                                                is their amplifier
                                                friendliness. Yams
                                                will eviscerate any
                                                half-decent amp
                                                that’s called upon
                                                to drive them,
                                                and simply start
                                                to say, ‘come and
                                                have a go if you
                                                think you’re hard
                                                enough’ (and few
                                                amps are). But the
                                                801Ds are a far,
                                                far more forgiving
                                                load. This means
                                                that they’ll go loud
                                                with surprisingly
                                                few watts, and
                                                not tax valve
                                                amplifier output
                                                transformers
                                                either. For me
                                                personally, this
                                                is the ‘genius
                                                move' of the
                                                B&Ws. I’ll make
                                                no bones about
                                                it, I’m convinced
                                                that high quality
                                                modern valve
                                                amplifiers are
                                                musically correct,
                                                and solid-state
                                                ones aren’t.
                                                Trouble is, there
                                                are so few great
                                                loudspeakers that
                                                work synergis-
                                                tically with valves,
                                                and the good news
                                                is that the 801D is
                                                one – maybe even
                                                the only one.
                                                With my
                                                World Audio
                                                K5881 (about
                                                17 watts per
                                                side), the B&Ws
                                                go ferociously
                                                loud, and never
                                                ever strain the output trannies; they
                                                give the amp room to breathe, and
                                                a great valve amp working without
                                                strain is an amazing thing to behold.
                                                B&W tells me that the company uses
                                                big Naims and Krells with the 801D,
                                                but from where I’m sitting even a
                                                Sugden A21a 20W Class A transistor
                                                integrated would get along famously.
                                                For me, this is a superb facet of these
                                                loudspeakers – they afford the chance
                                                for low power, high quality power
                                                amplifiers to fly."

So maybe my Chord which is 130w into 8 ohms, 170w into 4 ohms and 210w into 2 ohms would work well. The amp has no problem with current into low resistance (not that the 801D are low anyway).

Cheers,

Stuart
                                                Main System:
                                                B&W 801D
                                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                Oppo BDP-105
                                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                B&W CM7
                                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pedro
                                                  • Jan 2006

I second you. I´ve been loading my 801D with small amps and surprisely they sang loud every time. As the reviewer wrote they arent hard to be loaded. What happens is, when using a big amp they will sound way more natural wider and fuller bass than using a small amp. I´ve auditioned mine with Krell EVO 402 amp and lately with my EVO 600e amps and that´s noticeable. The more power you give them, more relaxing and less forwarding they will sound.

Can drive them with your amp, you wont repent, they will sound much better than your 804S which are in my opinion a bit more difficult to load. Then when possible you upgrade your gear

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                    • May 2005

Rick.. Yours is a sweet setup. How are you liking that DAC.. It has been a while since we talked...

Just an FYI.... Logitech is cancelling the Squeezebox :cry: .. So if you want another, now is the time.

It is true the 804s have good resale. I am close enough to Toronto that I have 8 million possible customers within an hour... I don't expect to have any trouble selling them.
                                                    He Stuart, all is well here now that the kids are back in school :T I can now sit down during the week and and enjoy the peace and quiet at my home office and then step out into my music room and spend an hour or more listening to some great music.

The squeezebox paired with my IPAD blows me away every time I use it, it is hard to believe 18 months ago I was walking back and forth changing CD's every time I wanted to change the music. I am enjoying the DAC also as it does warm up the sound but by far the biggest impact on my sound was the change from the AV receiver to dedicated amps and of course the change from the 804 speakers to the 802D speakers.

I looked back at my 804 speaker purchase over 6 years ago and I think the MSRP was $6,000 here in Canada and as you have indicated the net after discounts was around $5,000 + tax. It is amazing that the resale on them would still be as high as $3,000 or close to $3,000 after 6 years. Have you considered trading them in to your dealer to save the sales tax on the trade in value? Have you put any more thoughts into the possible upgrade?

Cheers,

Richard

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Hmm, maybe I should test the water here. 804 were 8000 in Oz and were rarely discounted if you believe the sales guy back in the day, he said the importer did not like them doing it. Of course I still kinda like them despite my niggle with them, they do alot right if you just like music, so maybe I will wait and see how I feel when the new speakers arrive.
                                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• leo2498
                                                        • Feb 2012

I have listened to the 801D and the 802Di, but not at the same time to compare. My dealer has both so I could do this. I did like the 802Di, but I also like the 801D. But when you consider $10k for 801D vs. $15K for 802Di it would be hard to justify even if I did like the 802Di better.

I think I will keep the subs for movies only. I still think the 801D would not have that on demand deep deep bass you need for movies.
                                                        Hi stuart I wondering if you will get the five years of warranty of this 801D from your dealer because if not I'm thinking that it is not a fair comparison because you could get a second hand 802di in this budget too.
                                                        Leo,
                                                        Saludos
                                                        My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• akhter
                                                          • Jun 2005

N804/804S have incredible resale value.

I used my N804s for eight years and recovered 90% of what I paid for them. I did buy the N804 heavily discounted right when 804S came out.

I couldn't believe that I basically used the N804s for less than $100 usd/year

Thank you B&W for not changing the design dramatically between updates

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by leo2498
                                                            Hi stuart I wondering if you will get the five years of warranty of this 801D from your dealer because if not I'm thinking that it is not a fair comparison because you could get a second hand 802di in this budget too.
                                                            Leo,

While this is correct, you will be hard pressed to find 802Di on the used market (at least where I am)...
                                                            Main System:
                                                            B&W 801D
                                                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                            Oppo BDP-105
                                                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                            B&W CM7
                                                            Emotiva UMC-1
                                                            Emotiva UPA-2
                                                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2009

He Stuart, all is well here now that the kids are back in school :T I can now sit down during the week and and enjoy the peace and quiet at my home office and then step out into my music room and spend an hour or more listening to some great music.

The squeezebox paired with my IPAD blows me away every time I use it, it is hard to believe 18 months ago I was walking back and forth changing CD's every time I wanted to change the music. I am enjoying the DAC also as it does warm up the sound but by far the biggest impact on my sound was the change from the AV receiver to dedicated amps and of course the change from the 804 speakers to the 802D speakers.

I looked back at my 804 speaker purchase over 6 years ago and I think the MSRP was $6,000 here in Canada and as you have indicated the net after discounts was around $5,000 + tax. It is amazing that the resale on them would still be as high as $3,000 or close to $3,000 after 6 years. Have you considered trading them in to your dealer to save the sales tax on the trade in value? Have you put any more thoughts into the possible upgrade?

Cheers,

Richard
                                                              Rick,

You made quite the investment in your system last year..! I remember watching your progress with envy!

Glad to hear it is still sounding good.. And while changing CDs can sometimes be enjoyable, the Squeezebox is just so great.
                                                              Main System:
                                                              B&W 801D
                                                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                              Oppo BDP-105
                                                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                              B&W CM7
                                                              Emotiva UMC-1
                                                              Emotiva UPA-2
                                                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• tanwn
                                                                • Jul 2004

I have the old N801, is it easy to drive like what is mentioned here about 801D? Should i still feel proud since it has been overtaken by 801D and 801Di

Comment

• Pedro
                                                                  • Jan 2006

The N801 are a bit harder to load, as they´ve got a lower minimum impedance (~3ohms). Also they´re not too much friendly when It comes to match the proper gear to drive them due their high frequency response be a bit louder than the diamond tweeter response.

But I think the N801 are still nowadays excellent speakers. If you can find a second hand 801D in mint conditions then that´s the way to go, or jump to 800di which are the most expensive since the new series doesnt feat a new 801di.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2009

Alright... I have reached an agreement with the dealer in order to get these things delivered and brought into my basement. My understanding is they are close to 300 lbs each in their packaging.

So they should be here on Friday.

I have already listed my 804s and HTM3s on Canuck Audio Mart if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Stuart
                                                                    Main System:
                                                                    B&W 801D
                                                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                    B&W CM7
                                                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2010

Congrats! Be sure to post pictures of the arrival and once they get setup

Comment

• Pedro
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Sounds awesome!!. Hope we get a review from you soon

BTW in what finishing are they gonna come?

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2005

Wow Stuart, those are going to look and sound great in that music room of yours! I look forward to lots of pictures over the next few days ;x(

Comment

• dukester
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2010
                                                                            • 198

Congrats Stuart! Great to see the meticulous development of your system. Look forward to your review/pics :T
                                                                            McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• madmac
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2010
                                                                              • 3122

#39
                                                                              300 POUNDS!!! Holy crap!!. Ok, you've gotta' post some pictures of those monsters ok??!!
                                                                              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2009
                                                                                • 1241

#40
                                                                                Sounds awesome!!. Hope we get a review from you soon

BTW in what finishing are they gonna come?
                                                                                For sure! They are Rosenut!
                                                                                Main System:
                                                                                B&W 801D
                                                                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                B&W CM7
                                                                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2009
                                                                                  • 1241

#41
                                                                                  Wow Stuart, those are going to look and sound great in that music room of yours! I look forward to lots of pictures over the next few days ;x(
                                                                                  Rick,

I am very excited...

BTW

I have already agreed to sell my 804s to someone. I posted them last night at around 5:30 pm, and the buyer emailed me at 10 pm (so 4.5 hours). Also I have had several other inquiries since then, so the market for 804s in the Toronto area seems strong.
                                                                                  Main System:
                                                                                  B&W 801D
                                                                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                  B&W CM7
                                                                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2009
                                                                                    • 1241

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by dukester
                                                                                    Congrats Stuart! Great to see the meticulous development of your system. Look forward to your review/pics :T
                                                                                    It has been a long and winding road....

On that note, I am looking forward to having a slice of Abbey Road at my house.

Since they used to use the 801D with Chord Amps I will have my own replica circa 2004.. Now of course they are using 800Di with Classe, but I am not going there..... YET....
                                                                                    Main System:
                                                                                    B&W 801D
                                                                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                    B&W CM7
                                                                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2009
                                                                                      • 1241

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by madmac
                                                                                      300 POUNDS!!! Holy crap!!. Ok, you've gotta' post some pictures of those monsters ok??!!
                                                                                      Yeah.. Holy Crap is right... I believe they are 260 lbs each once unpacked..
                                                                                      Main System:
                                                                                      B&W 801D
                                                                                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                      Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                      B&W CM7
                                                                                      Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                      Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2004
                                                                                        • 1216

#44
                                                                                        Stuart,

Congratulations! That will be a great upgrade. I did a similar path, going from N804's to 802D's. It was awesome.

Looking forward to pictures and impressions.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2009
                                                                                          • 1241

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by htsteve
                                                                                          Stuart,

Congratulations! That will be a great upgrade. I did a similar path, going from N804's to 802D's. It was awesome.

Looking forward to pictures and impressions.
                                                                                          When I bought the 804s I thought.. Wow.. I finally have 800 series speakers.. I won't ever need to upgrade again... That was sure BS....

Now with the 801D I told my wife there is nowhere to go from here.. I am at the top... Then she said why did the guy trade them back into the store.... I said... To upgrade ops:
                                                                                          Main System:
                                                                                          B&W 801D
                                                                                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                          Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                          B&W CM7
                                                                                          Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                          Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"