X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thaile88
    • May 2008

801d and 800d

Hi all!!

Do you have any experience compare A/B between the 801D and 800D? If you do can you tell me something about it.

1: Is the bass between the 800d and 801D that much difference? (the punch, bass-weight, deep,v..v?????)

2: i think in the 800d model, B&w put a totally difference cross-over(better) than what they put in the 801d and 802D. Is it help? Did it help the 800d sound more details, open, wider-sound stage than the other?????

3: Overall dynamic, which one have better sound? (800d or 801d)

Thnk
    I will appreciate all your reply.
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by thaile88
    1: Is the bass between the 800d and 801D that much difference? (the punch, bass-weight, deep,v..v?????)
    The 801D delivers more bass extension but the 800D delivers more bass accuracy.

2: i think in the 800d model, B&w put a totally difference cross-over(better) than what they put in the 801d and 802D. Is it help? Did it help the 800d sound more details, open, wider-sound stage than the other?????
    Yes, yes and yes.

The 800D is quicker and more dynamic but the 801D can pack a punch.

If you have the room and need the lowest octaves then the 801D maybe the ticket. My preference was the 800D for it's brilliant presentation balanced across the entire spectrum.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
      • Jun 2006

Hi all!!

Do you have any experience compare A/B between the 801D and 800D? If you do can you tell me something about it.

Thnk
      I will appreciate all your reply.
      I don't have the D's, but I have the N801's and Signature 800's. I can say that they are more similar than different. Imaging is a little different on the S800's (maybe bigger and higher up).

I do need to state that my room is very large and I have always needed a subwoofer, even with speakers with 15" woofers so I cannot really speak to the differences in bass response.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I read somewhere in an article directly from B&W, that proper room placement and acoustics are critical for the 801Ds to perform properly. I think they also said that the 801Ds were more designed to be in controlled environments like studios. It was mentioned that the 800Ds were designed to perform well in the normal everyday home environment.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by beden1
          I read somewhere in an article directly from B&W, that proper room placement and acoustics are critical for the 801Ds to perform properly. I think they also said that the 801Ds were more designed to be in controlled environments like studios. It was mentioned that the 800Ds were designed to perform well in the normal everyday home environment.
          I found placement to be relatively easy for the N801's and the S800's. Again, no overwhelming bass issues either.

Comment

• thaile88
            • May 2008

HI! Thank you

Thank you guy for reply.
            That is exactly what i am looking for.
            :T
            Appreciate it.
            So i think i should go for the 800D.

Just one more question FOR RebelMan

You said "The 801D delivers more bass extension over the 800D"
            SO IS THE BASS-EXTENSION DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 801D AND 800D BIG OR JUST A LITTLE BIT"

If anybody also know about the bass-extension, Please tell me more about it
            :B

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Just one more question FOR RebelMan

You said "The 801D delivers more bass extension over the 800D"
              SO IS THE BASS-EXTENSION DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 801D AND 800D BIG OR JUST A LITTLE BIT"
              Relatively noticeable.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                Relatively noticeable.
                I personally would get the 800D and a couple of JLAudio Fathom F113 or the Gotham
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Pedro
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                  I do need to state that my room is very large and I have always needed a subwoofer, even with speakers with 15" woofers so I cannot really speak to the differences in bass response.
                  How larger is your room to still use SW ?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Pedro
                    How larger is your room to still use SW ?
                    My family room and kitchen are one room,about 19' x 50' x 9'

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

You will need several subs to fill that kind of space.

Check out the new JL Audio Fathom F212 :T
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Pedro
                        • Jan 2006

My Goodness ;x( , that represents almost 88 square meters ??

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

My Goodness ;x( , that represents almost 88 square meters ??
                          Yes this is real American size for you super size everything that is why there is so much Obesity in the US ovr 60% of adults are obese!!!! Which explains the mega houses, mega sofas, mega cars......:B

Comment

• Allegiance
                            • Sep 2006

Holy hell! :E

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                              • Apr 2007

wow
                              :E
                              "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• Matt M.
                                • Oct 2005

Hi all!!

Yes, quite often...

801D has deeper bass, more punchy and dynamic too...

2: i think in the 800d model, B&w put a totally difference cross-over(better) than what they put in the 801d and 802D. Is it help? Did it help the 800d sound more details, open, wider-sound stage than the other
                                800D is more detailed, and also more subtle, more clear.

No doubt: 801D. It is more dynamic, more "alive", wereas the 800D is more
                                "fluid", subtle, and more "calm".

Last point: contrary to appearencies, the 801D is much less demanding
                                regarding the amplifier.

In sort, both are awesome and each is its advantages. Some can prefer
                                the 800 whereas others will prefer the 801.

My personal opinion is...a clear preference for the 801D.

Rgds
                                Matt

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Matt M.
                                  Yes, quite often...

801D has deeper bass, more punchy and dynamic too...

800D is more detailed, and also more subtle, more clear.

No doubt: 801D. It is more dynamic, more "alive", wereas the 800D is more
                                  "fluid", subtle, and more "calm".

Last point: contrary to appearencies, the 801D is much less demanding
                                  regarding the amplifier.

In sort, both are awesome and each is its advantages. Some can prefer
                                  the 800 whereas others will prefer the 801.

My personal opinion is...a clear preference for the 801D.

Rgds
                                  Matt
                                  Thank you for the nice comparison between these two speakers. I agree with your impressions. I thought I was one of the very few who liked the 801D. Everytime I ask a B&W dealer about their impressions of the 801D, they just say they don't like it. In fact, most I've visited don't even display a pair in their demo rooms.

I had the opportunity of finally listening to a pair this year and I really liked the 801Ds, and also felt they were more dynamic. The only issue that I have is that they look like monsters, even as compared to the 800Ds.

It's interesting that you mentioned they were less power hungry. I had asked that during the audition, but got a differing opinion from the dealer. I asked this as I sensed they seemed to be more "alive", and with more breathing room when powered with the CAM-400s as compared to the 800Ds.

Comment

• Matt M.
                                    • Oct 2005

I had the opportunity of finally listening to a pair this year and I really liked the 801Ds, and also felt they were more dynamic. The only issue that I have is that they look like monsters, even as compared to the 800Ds.
                                    Yes they do !
                                    But they sound so well...

It's interesting that you mentioned they were less power hungry. I had asked that during the audition, but got a differing opinion from the dealer..
                                    Maybe many of them (dealers or not), still have the impression let by
                                    previous series. The 801 Nautilus indeed, was particularly difficult to drive
                                    and to integrate in a domestic environment.
                                    However, it is no more the case with the 801D...

This review from "hifi world" (available on BW's home page), is extremely instructive:

In particular this section:
                                    "Where the 801Ds score over [Yamaha] NS1000Ms, and in a massively convincing way,
                                    is their amplifier friendliness. Yams will eviscerate any half-decent amp
                                    that’s called upon to drive them, and simply start to say, ‘come and
                                    have a go if you think you’re hard enough’ (and few amps are). But the
                                    801Ds are a far, far more forgiving load. This means that they’ll go loud
                                    with surprisingly few watts
                                    , and not tax valve amplifier output transformers
                                    either. For me personally, this is the ‘genius move' of the B&Ws."

I asked this as I sensed they seemed to be more "alive", and with more breathing room when powered with the CAM-400s as compared to the 800Ds.
                                    And you were right !

My experience with both of these speakers made me totally agree with
                                    the author of this review.
                                    With its two 10" woofers, the 800D is, regardless of its outstandind sound
                                    quality, a much less forgiving load.

Cdlt
                                    Matt

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                      Yes this is real American size for you super size everything that is why there is so much Obesity in the US ovr 60% of adults are obese!!!! Which explains the mega houses, mega sofas, mega cars......:B
                                      Easy cowboy. I'm 6'1" and weigh 184 lb. But yes, you are generally right.

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Easy cowboy. I'm 6'1" and weigh 184 lb. But yes, you are generally right.
                                        Didn't mean to offend any one we just need to go exercise and eat smaller portions!! The 801D weight more that I do and yes I am much taller 5'9"

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                          • Jun 2006

Didn't mean to offend any one we just need to go exercise and eat smaller portions!! The 801D weight more that I do and yes I am much taller 5'9"
                                          None taken.

As for finish, try the 801's in black with black grills.

Comment

• beden1
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2006

None taken.

As for finish, try the 801's in black with black grills.
                                            I was just on the B&W website, and they only listed Rosewood and Cherry finishes.

I also found it stange that they do not list size specs for these speakers. Those sections were blank?

Does this mean they are phasing out this speaker?

I could only use black to go with my other speakers. Not that I am ready to jump on them at this point.

Comment

• Pedro
                                              • Jan 2006

About the colours, the rosewood is the best for 800D/801D IMHO

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

It depends on your taste, I agree the rosewood looks very nice, the Cherry is not bad either it depends on the look you are looking for! :P

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                  • Jun 2006

it is all personal preference. The old 801 with a 12" woffer had better proportions. The 15" woofer gives the newer 801's an odd proportion and the other colors seem to call attention to the circles that break up the front.

When I bought my N801's I did not want black, but after having them and putting the grills on I found that I prefer the black to the other finishes because it accents teh speakers outter lines rather than its big circles.
                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

When I bought my N801's I did not want black, but after having them and putting the grills on I found that I prefer the black to the other finishes because it accents teh speakers outter lines rather than its big circles.
                                                    What a beast I could never get this in my house

Comment

• beden1
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2006

it is all personal preference. The old 801 with a 12" woffer had better proportions. The 15" woofer gives the newer 801's an odd proportion and the other colors seem to call attention to the circles that break up the front.

I agree with you that black is the right color for this speaker. The other colors make the unit look too alien with the large circle bass speaker.

Your system must sound excellent, and very full bodied with those 800's and 801s.

I'd like to see more pictures of your setup, and with what is the size of your room?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                        • Jun 2006

I agree with you that black is the right color for this speaker. The other colors make the unit look too alien with the large circle bass speaker.

Your system must sound excellent, and very full bodied with those 800's and 801s.

I'd like to see more pictures of your setup, and with what is the size of your room?
                                                        N801's are gone. I just run 2 channel with the Signatures. Every once in a while I put the DM3000's in (Great 20+ year old B&W speakers that I tuned up)

Comment

• beden1
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2006

N801's are gone. I just run 2 channel with the Signatures. Every once in a while I put the DM3000's in (Great 20+ year old B&W speakers that I tuned up)
                                                          So I guess that means you like your Signatures better than the N801's. What was the primary benefit of the ones you have now over the other?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                            • Jun 2006

So I guess that means you like your Signatures better than the N801's. What was the primary benefit of the ones you have now over the other?
                                                            Signatures benefits: The Signatures are prettier and should go up in value.

N801's Benefits: The N801's are significantly less expensive and have a grill for the woofer to ward off evil spirits (my cleaning people).

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

Signatures benefits: The Signatures are prettier and should go up in value. N801's Benefits: The N801's are significantly less expensive and have a grill for the woofer to ward off evil spirits (my cleaning people).
                                                              Let me know when you see a pair of Speakers go up in value, they are worst than cars the minute you take them out of the dealer they drop in value by 50% (thanks to the dealer mark-up) Check Audiogon and see what I mean!!:B

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                • Jun 2006

Let me know when you see a pair of Speakers go up in value, they are worst than cars the minute you take them out of the dealer they drop in value by 50% (thanks to the dealer mark-up) Check Audiogon and see what I mean!!:B
                                                                Signatures are not available new. They should hold their value and possibly go up (not a lot). This is especially true if I want to ship them to Japan.

I was interested in a pair of N805's for my office a while ago. They sell for more now than they did a year ago (generally) because the new speakers have been getting more expensive.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Signatures are not available new. They should hold their value and possibly go up (not a lot). This is especially true if I want to ship them to Japan. I was interested in a pair of N805's for my office a while ago. They sell for more now than they did a year ago (generally) because the new speakers have been getting more expensive.
                                                                  No offense but a lot of people in Japan is well know to pay premium prices for brand ever spend time in Hawaii!

Any way the best to you if you think they are an investment great, sure better than the stock market!:B

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2006

No offense but a lot of people in Japan is well know to pay premium prices for brand ever spend time in Hawaii!

Any way the best to you if you think they are an investment great, sure better than the stock market!:B
                                                                    I don't understand your first sentence and yes, I have every cent to my name in these speakers and I am counting on them to retire. :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

my dealer wants to get rid of his signatures from his personal system and replace them with 802d's...
                                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2006

Does he just have the S800's or does he have a complete surround system and where is he located?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

I don't understand your first sentence and yes, I have every cent to my name in these speakers and I am counting on them to retire. :T
                                                                          What I mean is that in Japan B&W speakers commend a premium price and you will be able to sell them at a premium that is all. :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

Does he just have the S800's or does he have a complete surround system and where is he located?
                                                                            PM'd you. forgot to tell you where he is located. Will tell further through PM.
                                                                            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2006
                                                                              • 475

#39
                                                                              What I mean is that in Japan B&W speakers commend a premium price and you will be able to sell them at a premium that is all. :T
                                                                              Cool, then I am on my way to retirement. :P :T I actually called on a pair of S800's that were sold to someone in Japan at a premium.

In any event, I am not looking at these as an investment, but they should hold their value and may go up. I had a pair of rare Klipschorns in tigerwood (6 pairs made) and they did go up in value.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

#40
                                                                                Cool, then I am on my way to retirement. :P :T I actually called on a pair of S800's that were sold to someone in Japan at a premium. In any event, I am not looking at these as an investment, but they should hold their value and may go up. I had a pair of rare Klipschorns in tigerwood (6 pairs made) and they did go up in value.
                                                                                Cool :T

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"