X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim92gts
    • Dec 2007

B&W 801D Amps

Hi All,
    new to the list and i don't even have B&W speakers!
    I'm in the process of planning a new listening room which will be four times the size of my existing area at 30x 33 feet.
    My plan is to install a pair of 801Ds , i have heard them and love the sound.
    The question is what amp to use, i have only heard the speakers in a small room without the capacity to run up to full power.
    I am thinking of using a pair of Bryston 7B-SSTs but can't get a demo; has anyone tried this combo?
    CD upgrade will come later.
    Any input appreciated
    Cheers
    Tim
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Look at the Classe line of amps/pres or integrated if the budget allows. Nothing short of 200w/ch. for the 801D.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

With the money your spending on the 801D's, you can't skimp on the amp. You wouldn't do the speakers justice. I'd recommend the classe ca-m400's to get the most out of the speakers.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Tim92gts
        • Dec 2007

Hi,
        totally agree with the need for plenty of power; that's one of the reasons for going to the Bryston at 900W into 4 Ohms.
        i guess there'd also be the option of biamping with the current C272s bridged in which case the Classe 400 would do the job but i don't think the NAD is in the same league.
        i tend to view handling capacity as a target esp as at the mo i'm running 2 200W channels plus a 400W sub in a room a quarter of the size. It definitely gets the most out of the NADs to let them run at 65% power.
        Cheers
        Tim

Comment

• RNKC
          • Jun 2005

I'll cast my vote for Mark Levinson. I like Classe, but I like the Mark Levinson sound better. I'm currently using a Levinson 432 with my N802 and I can't imagine it would have trouble driving 801 or even 800 speakers.

You might also want to consider Krell amps, but I'm not personally as familiar with them.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Tim92gts
            Hi All,
            new to the list and i don't even have B&W speakers!
            I'm in the process of planning a new listening room which will be four times the size of my existing area at 30x 33 feet.
            My plan is to install a pair of 801Ds , i have heard them and love the sound.
            The question is what amp to use, i have only heard the speakers in a small room without the capacity to run up to full power.
            I am thinking of using a pair of Bryston 7B-SSTs but can't get a demo; has anyone tried this combo?
            CD upgrade will come later.
            Any input appreciated
            Cheers
            Tim
            I am using Bryston 7B St's with N801's and am happy with them.

Hers is the stereophile review of them:

The Canadian audio industry has been mounting a challenge to other high-end manufacturers over the past few years. Ask any audiophile about Canadian audio manufacturers and chances are that he or she will have no trouble rattling off a string of respected names—Classé, Museatex, Sonic Frontiers, Mirage, PSB, Paradigm, Energy. And Bryston.

Bryston's used to be popular around here, but at some point everyone decided that they are poor amps. You need to make the decision for yourself. They are very well built and have a unbelieveable warranty.

Comment

• Glenee
              • Aug 2006

Classe, McIntosh, Bryston, Mark Levinson, Krell, Larger Rotel, Bel Canto Mono's, all of these are fine Amps and will do well with the 801's, it's just a matter of taste my friend and only you can tell. Please take the advice of a Old Fool and let your ears tell you whats right for your speakers. Go listen to all of them, take a little or a long drive, with that special someone. One word of advice. Buy all the power you can afford in any of them.
              Good Luck and take your Time.
              Glenee

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Glenee
                Classe, McIntosh, Bryston, Mark Levinson, Krell, Larger Rotel, Bel Canto Mono's, all of these are fine Amps and will do well with the 801's, it's just a matter of taste my friend and only you can tell. Please take the advice of a Old Fool and let your ears tell you whats right for your speakers. Go listen to all of them, take a little or a long drive, with that special someone. One word of advice. Buy all the power you can afford in any of them.
                Good Luck and take your Time.
                Glenee
                Great advice.

Comment

• RNKC
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                  Bryston's used to be popular around here, but at some point everyone decided that they are poor amps.
                  I wouldn't necessarily say that. I used to be a Bryston guy myself but I found that the sound of Mark Levinson was more to my taste, that's all.

Bryston makes very good stuff; build quality is excellent and the 20 year warranty is exceptional as well. As a high-end choice you'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with Bryston. But at the ultra high end, I personally think there are other choices.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

I am happy with my Brystons 7bs, however wouldnt mind trying out some "fancy" amps just to hear what the difference is.
                    B&W

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                      Bryston's used to be popular around here, but at some point everyone decided that they are poor amps. You need to make the decision for yourself. They are very well built and have a unbelieveable warranty.
                      I wouldnt say that Bryston's are poor, I just think they don't have the synergy with B&W speakers that the classe amps do. I liked bryston because they were available when Classe wasn't. Once I had an opportunity to compare against, classe, I decided I liked classe better.
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Tim92gts
                        • Dec 2007

Thanks for all your replies.
                        That's given me plenty of options so i'll have a more thorough look round to see who can demonstrate more combinations.
                        My local B&W dealer is not on the 800 list as he cannot demonstrate without upsetting the neighbours so i'll be scouring the country.
                        Trip up north after Christmas so can take in a few more dealers.
                        Thanks again
                        Tim

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"