Need Upgrade Advice- Buy matrix 801 series 2 ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stereoud7
    • Aug 2012

Need Upgrade Advice- Buy matrix 801 series 2 ??

My local Stereo shop has some matrix 801 series 2 speakers for sale. They are asking $1,500 and have some cosmetic issues. I only have room for one set of large speakers so to get them i would have to sell my infinity Kappa 8 speakers.

let me tell you a bit about my set up. I have 2 adcom GFA-555 II power-amps, a rotel 972 pre-amp, and a cambridge qaudio DAC magic plus that I feed .wav files to from a lap top.

The kappa 8's are bi-amped.

I aslo have an adcom GFP-555 pre amp i'm not using.

The power amps were both purchased off ebay for like $350 each and i can tell have had heavy use. My system sounds good but i think it should sound alot better than it does. The rotel pre amp was bought new by me like 15 or so years ago and has had extremely heavy use. The dac is almost brand new. I use lower end audioquest interconects and speaker cable.

if you had $3-4k to upgrade this system what would you do. It is set up in a ~500sft room with high ceilings.

thanks for your help.
  • Antus
    • Apr 2008

Matrix 801 S2 are great speakers. but they are so old that parts may need replace.

500sqft is not that big, u can looking for newer 800 series speakers but smaller. for example, 804S or N803/N804. u will have less problem in the long run.

adcom 555 should works just fine. u will need to spend a lot more to get a feel of an improvement.

Comment

• Freddie40
      • Jun 2009

I would assume that you would need (at the very least) new tweeters and midranges. I am guessing that these would be about $700 or so for all 4. Assuming that you need all 4, are you willing to pay $2200 for these speakers. With the fresh drivers the speakers will so very very nice

My room that had Matrix 802S22 and now 802DI is about 225SF so 500SF should be just fine

Dave

BTW: My Matrix 802S2 which have new tweeters and Midranges and Midrange grills are probably worth (at least to me) about $1500, so the 801S2 with new Tweeters and Midranges are probably worth $2200. You may also want to get midrange grills if they are worn. Better to get them now while they are available.
      Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• Joawen
        • Mar 2006

There is in my opinion nothing that says the tweeters and mids NEED to be replaced, if it sounds ok and they move/LOOK as they should i think You will be happy with them as they are!

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Sound wise, I think you will be happy with them - but they sure do look like something from the 70's or the 80's. So unless you have a dedicated sound room/home cinema I think your other half will not be too thrilled about them..
          Also, depending on the cosmetic flaws I think the 1500 is somewhat high for them.. So check your local market before jumping on to them.

Comment

• JürgenW
            • Jul 2004

Very nice sounding speakers in a good environment.
            The rendement is low, so you need a powerful amp.

Ask before buying to have them heard in your room, then you will also know how they will integrate in the room.
            Price is a bit high, but you could ask for some guarantee.

Parts are still available.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"