X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doviiman
    • May 2012

room size

In your opinion, if your room was about 11 feet wide and about 18 feet long/deep. (small to medium size room), what diamond serious woud you consider? I like the 803D, but I am afraid might not get the proper sound from the speaker, becasue the room does not allow much for spacing.Then there is the fear of getting the 804D, but missing the mid bass the 803D gives you. Any opinions or experience on this topic.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Go for the 803D (or Diamonds?), you won't regret it....over all that room is perfectly fine.

It'd be small, but even the 802Diamonds would work in that room (providing you can dedicate all 11 feet to them)....but one thing I've learned is through placement, toe and basically trying to make the best "triangle" between the speakers and you, almost any speaker can basically work in any room. Just takes some tweeking.

I had my 604s3s in a 9 by 11 room (only 5 feet between them) and they honestly almost sounded better than anywhere else I've had them until currently where they are about 8 - 9 feet apart. So anything can potentially work.

Though with that and not anything to do with room. People have said the mid-range of the 804Ds is better than the 803Ds...I've not compared...but if you don't need the bass and this is infact true... then the 804Ds might work out better...!??
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• doviiman
      • May 2012

Thanks for the response. I do need the mid bass, and I am afraid I won't have much mid bass if choosing the 804d. Which is kind of an issue I have now. I am upgrading my klisph references towers with in wall surround, and.Velodyn DD 12. Driven with a denon 4306 receiver

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

doviiman,

I agree with PewterTA's analysis.

I have 802D's in an 11' X 16' room. They sounded excellent when they went into the room. I've spent a few years adding acoustic treatments, and now they sound awesome.

So I would not be afraid of the 803D's.

Another thought. You will have quite an excellent set of speakers and sub. The 800 series speakers are really designed to be driven by an external amp. The Denon, while nice, has it's work cut out for it.

Give Rotel or Emotiva a look. Or maybe some other high quality used amps. You B&W's will really open up with lots of current.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by htsteve; 03 June 2012, 17:30 Sunday.

Comment

• BWLover
          • Jan 2009

Htsteve

Do you have photos of your set up? I'd like to check out how you fitted your acoustic treatment into your system. Thanks
          Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
          Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
          Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
          Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
          Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
          Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
          Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
          Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
          Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
          Playstation 3
          Shaw HD PVR
          Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I use mainly Real Traps.

Mondo Traps on stands behind the 802D's. They basically cut the corner off. RFZ panels on the ceiling reflection points (not pictured).

The traps in the upper corners (front and back) were made out of a panel a friend gave me. It's a thin board with fiberglass, wrapped in a felt like fabric. The same type panel are in the side wall first point reflections.

Here's one of the rear of the room. I recently replaced a bookshelf with a real diffuser (one in the middle), which turned out to be an excellent move.

In addition to the Real Traps diffuser, there are two mini traps. All three are mounted with 3" brackets off the rear wall, to help with some bass trapping.

I also have High Frequency Micro Traps on either side of my listening position (not pictured).

Comment

• doviiman
              • May 2012

Originally posted by htsteve
              doviiman,

I agree with PewterTA's analysis.

I have 802D's in an 11' X 16' room. They sounded excellent when they went into the room. I've spent a few years adding acoustic treatments, and now they sound awesome.

So I would not be afraid of the 803D's.

Another thought. You will have quite an excellent set of speakers and sub. The 800 series speakers are really designed to be driven by an external amp. The Denon, while nice, has it's work cut out for it.

Give Rotel or Emotiva a look. Or maybe some other high quality used amps. You B&W's will really open up with lots of current.

Hope this helps.
              Hi Again Steve

I have decided to modify my Theater room from a clean enclosed look to and put the B&W in front to make a sound stage like yours.
              I had to put the project on hold for some time, but I am again ready to get my dream speakers.
              I am not sure if I will ever see a pair used black 803D anymore, but I will keep an eye out for a pair.

Comment

• doviiman
                • May 2012

I use mainly Real Traps.

Mondo Traps on stands behind the 802D's. They basically cut the corner off. RFZ panels on the ceiling reflection points (not pictured).

The traps in the upper corners (front and back) were made out of a panel a friend gave me. It's a thin board with fiberglass, wrapped in a felt like fabric. The same type panel are in the side wall first point reflections.

Here's one of the rear of the room. I recently replaced a bookshelf with a real diffuser (one in the middle), which turned out to be an excellent move.

In addition to the Real Traps diffuser, there are two mini traps. All three are mounted with 3" brackets off the rear wall, to help with some bass trapping.

I also have High Frequency Micro Traps on either side of my listening position (not pictured).

Hey Steve
                How far are your 802D away from you wall front, back and side? Also are those 803D in the back or 804S? They look pretty close as well. Your putting the pressure back on me for some old 802D.. :lol:
                Lastly haw far is you seating from your front speakers?

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by doviiman
                  Hey Steve
                  How far are your 802D away from you wall front, back and side? Also are those 803D in the back or 804S? They look pretty close as well. Your putting the pressure back on me for some old 802D.. :lol:
                  Lastly haw far is you seating from your front speakers?

Below are measurements. Front measurements are from the mid range center.

Front Wall to Back of 802D: 25"
                  Front Wall to Front of 802D: 44"
                  Side wall to Rear of 802D: 12"
                  Side Wall to Front of 802D: 18.5"

802D's are 93" apart. I sit 102" from them. Not a perfect triangle, but it works quite well.

804S's are the rear speakers. The midrange is 15" from the back wall, and 22" from the side wall. They are toed in to point to my head at the listening position.

802D's are pretty awesome. Especially with high current and acoustic treatments.

Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by htsteve; 05 June 2012, 13:00 Tuesday.

Comment

• doviiman
                    • May 2012

Below are measurements. Front measurements are from the mid range center.

Front Wall to Back of 802D: 25"
                    Front Wall to Front of 802D: 44"
                    Side wall to Rear of 802D: 12"
                    Side Wall to Front of 802D: 18.5"

802D's are 93" apart. I sit 102" from them. Not a perfect triangle, but it works quite well.

804S's are the rear speakers. The midrange is 15" from the back wall, and 22" from the side wall. They are toed in to point to my head at the listening position.

802D's are pretty awesome. Especially with high current and acoustinc treastments.

Hope this helps.
                    Ok, so you actaully have more space and distance inbetween the speakers and the wall, than what I can actually see in the picture. NICE!
                    Damn, those 802D are sexy, but my room jsut will not allow propper placement for them,,,It looks like 804D or 803D at best..

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

804D or 80D are very nice. Especially the 803D's.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"