X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spaceteddy
    • Jan 2011

803D or 804D ?

Hi, my first tread ever in a AV forum
    I am selling my 804S because I want to upgrade to the new D serie. My listening room is quite small, 200 ft2, so I wonder if the 803 would sound any better at all than the 804 ?? I live in an apartment so for the most of the time I play at moderate volum levels, just occasionally turning up to "10-11"
    if the neighbours are gone.. Distance from speakers 9 feet. I appreciate every answer... Thanks from norway
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

spaceteddy,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

Your room is only a little bit bigger than my HT room (200 sf vs. about 175 sf). I actually have 802D's (prior series) as my main speakers (and they are in a 9 foot triangle with my listening position). I have 804S' as my rear speakers.

So I would say that either the 804Di or the 80Di would work fine. Longer term, I would suggest getting as much speaker as you can afford (803Di). If you go with the 803D, they would benefit from a high powered amp. What electronics will you be driving these with?

Also, consider acoustic treatments if possible (my HT room is treated). These make a noticeable improvement.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hi spaceteddy,
      welcome to the fourm!

I had the 803D and I have the 803DI now at front end of my HT system.

the 804DI and the 803DI are 2 great speakers and not so easy the decide...

the 803D was too much "boomy" in my room but with the new serie DI is all really controlled and they sound amazing.
      all depend how your room give as response from the speaker!

I will say go with the 803DI , with this upgrade you will be happy for long time.
      maybe in the future you can go with a acoustic treatment, or other things...
      The new DI serie is very transparent in sound vs. the "old D" serie and the 803DI can to be used with pleasure without subwoofer....

you go use the speaker for a HT or a stereo system? what do you use as ampli?

greetings Style

Comment

• spaceteddy
        • Jan 2011

Thank you both I went from HT and back to straight stereo system a few years ago when I found out music listening is my absolute main.. I now have the NAD M3/M5 and this works fine with my current 804S, and as far as know this will also work fine for 803.. I might should upgrade the amp some later..
        Well, my thought was that the 803di just is "too much" for smaller listening rooms, but reading your suggestions seems like this may not be true.. The price difference here is $2700 so I just dont want to "waste" money needless if you understand. but if the 803di's overall soundquality benefit over the 804di I might go for them..

Comment

• dukester
          • Sep 2010

Something to think about; I have 803Di's and initially drove them with 150wpc. The soundstage dynamics were not as good at low level listening. I have since upgraded to 300wpc w/substantial improvement in bass and mid-range (vocals); problem solved.

Welcome!
          McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by spaceteddy
            Thank you both I went from HT and back to straight stereo system a few years ago when I found out music listening is my absolute main.. I now have the NAD M3/M5 and this works fine with my current 804S, and as far as know this will also work fine for 803.. I might should upgrade the amp some later..
            Well, my thought was that the 803di just is "too much" for smaller listening rooms, but reading your suggestions seems like this may not be true.. The price difference here is $2700 so I just dont want to "waste" money needless if you understand. but if the 803di's overall soundquality benefit over the 804di I might go for them..
            I would go listen to the 803Di at lower volumes, because my 803Ds (previous versions) really need larger amps to make them sing, especially at lower volumes. I have not listened to the 803Di speakers as yet, to know how they are at lower volumes.

I am extremely happy using my new 804Di speakers in a stereo only system, and they produce a very full sound at lower volumes. I'm sitting about 8 feet from the 804Di(s), which are spaced 8 feet wide. At this distance, I do not wish for any other speaker because they sound that good.

The new 800 Diamond Series of speakers seem to be more efficient than the speakers they replace, even though they show the same specs. I found this to be apparent while listening to the 805Di, 804Di and 800Di speakers.

Good luck with your new speakers, whichever ones you decide to get.

Comment

• dukester
              • Sep 2010

I used my NAD T785 to drive my 803Di's. I love the sound of it and use it as my pre amp. As i said earlier, and echoed by others, low level listening may be an issue. NAD is not known to under rate their amps but i highly recommend auditioning with your amp prior to getting into the 803Di's (bring yours in if you must) as they need good clean power (lots) to sound their best. And from my experiences with NAD, their amps perform best when you make them work...w/c means 803Di + NAD pwr=not the optimum combination for low volume listening. After my amp upgrade the woofers became much quicker and have better control (tight). Again, just something to think about with the 803Di's.
              McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                The new 800 Diamond Series of speakers seem to be more efficient than the speakers they replace, even though they show the same specs. I found this to be apparent while listening to the 805Di, 804Di and 800Di speakers.
                How can it be? If the specs are the same!
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                  How can it be? If the specs are the same!
                  I don't know? That's my conundrum (word for the day)!

I have more experience listening to my 804Di(s), but, and parlicularly at lower volumes, they just seem to be much more expressive and free. I am hearing more detail than I do with my 803Ds that are driven by much better front end equipment.

I sensed the same while listening to the 800Di(s) driven by McIntosh MC501s.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

In my experience I found the 804Di more detailed and airy then the 804s or the 803D and as such I think you can play it at a lower volume and still hear all the nuances. This might give the impression that it has a higher sensitivity.
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                      In my experience I found the 804Di more detailed and airy then the 804s or the 803D and as such I think you can play it at a lower volume and still hear all the nuances. This might give the impression that it has a higher sensitivity.
                      +1.

The magnets of the new Series' definitely are making a perceivable difference (to me at least). I compared the 804S and 804Di and even at higher SPL's, probably greater than >95db, the 804Di sounded cleaner and felt you can go much higher in volume. The ability of the speaker to be more efficient is a bonus as one does not need to spend as much on amps!

I did not listen at lower levels, but it's good to hear the new drivers are also making a tangible difference.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

Question: Is the OP deciding between the 804Di and the 803Di, or the 804Di and the older 803D?
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• spaceteddy
                          • Jan 2011

Question: Is the OP deciding between the 804Di and the 803Di, or the 804Di and the older 803D?
                          Yes, between 804Di and 803Di

Thank you all, good to hear advice from people who know what they are talking about! I'm learning something here ! :T
                          Seems like I should invest in better amp to get the better result out of the 803Di than I'm capable of now. This is not on the budget for 2-3 years i think.. I will have a pair of 804 on loan from tomorrow and I'm exited to hear how they sound compared to the old.

Comment

• spaceteddy
                            • Jan 2011

By the way, the new D series are still just called D (not Di) in norway.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009

Yes, between 804Di and 803Di

Thank you all, good to hear advice from people who know what they are talking about! I'm learning something here ! :T
                              Seems like I should invest in better amp to get the better result out of the 803Di than I'm capable of now. This is not on the budget for 2-3 years i think.. I will have a pair of 804 on loan from tomorrow and I'm exited to hear how they sound compared to the old.
                              I think based on your roomsize the 804Di will be best for your current setup. Although I always recommend good amplification I think the M3 is a quality piece. Maybe you can borrow another integrated too and see if you like that better.
                              Main System:
                              B&W 801D
                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                              Oppo BDP-105
                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                              B&W CM7
                              Emotiva UMC-1
                              Emotiva UPA-2
                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• dukester
                                • Sep 2010

By the way, the new D series are still just called D (not Di) in norway.
                                I believe the Di designation is for forum purposes only

Comment

• style
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2006

well in every case or the 804D or the 803D is GREAT choice!!! :T :T

very clear HF& Midrange, the LF is very controlled!

----
                                  from the 804s and the 804D is whitout story, the 4D an the 3D CAN be a personal taste.

meybe my venter is the "old" Htm2D in bluray concert or action movie they match very good together!

Style

Comment

• Pedro
                                    • Jan 2006

A good comparison would be 803Dx803Di and 803Dx804Di. And at what point 803Di should be better than 803D for example.

804S yet sounded more open and detailed in midranges than 803D(old) too laidback. The 804S i was able to listen more details at low volume with same gear. But on the other side the 803D(old) has of course better highs and lows. I dont know how is the 803Di, but probably some would still prefer 804Di over it.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2009

Pedro,

I did compare the 803D (old) vs. 804Di a couple of months ago.

Not sure if anyone has noticed. The B&W website was updated sometime this week. I can't say I like the new layout. If I did not know the 600 series existed I might not have found it. Also the CM7 is no longer shown as a current speaker. The CM8 is now in its place. We all knew this was coming, but the transition was

I think Beden1 also has both these speakers so I am sure he can chime in.

Cheers.
                                      Main System:
                                      B&W 801D
                                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                      Oppo BDP-105
                                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                      B&W CM7
                                      Emotiva UMC-1
                                      Emotiva UPA-2
                                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pedro
                                        • Jan 2006

You exactly describle at you review the same impression i had:

The funny thing is I listened to the 803D right after, and it had the same voicing as my 804s where the vocals seemed more toward the listener..
                                        Probably would occur the same with 804Dix803Di

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

Pedro,

I did compare the 803D (old) vs. 804Di a couple of months ago.

Not sure if anyone has noticed. The B&W website was updated sometime this week. I can't say I like the new layout. If I did not know the 600 series existed I might not have found it. Also the CM7 is no longer shown as a current speaker. The CM8 is now in its place. We all knew this was coming, but the transition was

I think Beden1 also has both these speakers so I am sure he can chime in.

Cheers.
                                          I agree with most of your comments regarding the 803D and 804Di speakers. You had the benefit of listening to them back-to-back on the same system which I am not able to do. My 803Ds are in Florida and the 804Dis are in Pennsylvania.

I think much has to do with what type of room and the configuration, in how these speakers, or any speaker sounds. With regard to the OP, I really think the 804Di is a better choice given the size of his room.

In my large expansive room in Florida, the 803Ds are sweet sounding with possibly a more refined sound as compared to the new Di Series. Judging from what I have heard from the 804Dis, I think the 803Dis would be too energetic for my bright/lively sounding room. I am not interested in replacing my 803Ds in this setup as they sound great.

I think the other thing to consider is that the OP will be sitting relatively close to the speakers, and with the added height of the 803Dis over the 804Dis, the tweeter height could be problematic, particularly if he is sitting back comfortably in a couch, etc.

The 804Dis, or the new Diamond Series speakers, IMO, really perform great in a room that could use some added life and airy sounds to the music, played in a room that is well treated or has more flattened/deadened acoustics.

Comment

• spaceteddy
                                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by style
                                            from the 804s and the 804D is whitout story
                                            I'm having a pair of 804D(i) on loan now, no doubt that you are right, the tweeter sounds even more natural and melts perfectly together with the midrange, better than the S, the whole speaker sounds more complete and the new drivers certainly improve. I will stick for the 804, already ordered a pair.

Comment

• htsteve
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

spaceteddy,

Excellent! You really had two great choices to pick from. Enjoy those 804Di's when you get them.

Comment

• dukester
                                                • Sep 2010

What finish? Hopefully you get them soon...congrats :T

Comment

• spaceteddy
                                                  • Jan 2011

Thank you very much, I chose the piano black, amazing finish and a shape almost like a woman without.... (I said ALMOST ) and will be a change from the old rosewood. They are being shipped from England so approx 2 weeks he told me. Doesn't matter that much since I have those demo speakers on loan until they arrive. (Thanks hifiklubben!) They tip the 10 grand here, what will you give over there ?

Comment

• ullodea
                                                    • Oct 2010

spaceteddy, I also own the 804Ds (though I can't compare to any other models), purchased a couple of months ago in part after following beden's comments. I agree with the sentiment in this thread and if your experience is like mine you will be very happy. The only observation I will make is that, when the recording is right, they are THAT (goosebumps) good, that badly mastered material (there is way too much of it out there) will be very obvious and hard to listen to. Worthwhile trade-off in my opinion. Enjoy!! :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

Thank you very much, I chose the piano black, amazing finish and a shape almost like a woman without.... (I said ALMOST ) and will be a change from the old rosewood. They are being shipped from England so approx 2 weeks he told me. Doesn't matter that much since I have those demo speakers on loan until they arrive. (Thanks hifiklubben!) They tip the 10 grand here, what will you give over there ?
                                                      Whoa! interesting comparison!
                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ullodea
                                                        spaceteddy, I also own the 804Ds (though I can't compare to any other models), purchased a couple of months ago in part after following beden's comments. I agree with the sentiment in this thread and if your experience is like mine you will be very happy. The only observation I will make is that, when the recording is right, they are THAT (goosebumps) good, that badly mastered material (there is way too much of it out there) will be very obvious and hard to listen to. Worthwhile trade-off in my opinion. Enjoy!! :T
                                                        To limit what you are hearing with the bad recordings, try positioning each speaker straight forward as opposed to a toe in positioning. I've played with this quite a bit as my stereo setup is very revealing, and this has really made a big difference. Now, it is rare that my ears get that bleeding feeling.

As I've gotten older, my ears have become very sensitive to harsh sounds, and hopefully this helps you as well.

I'm glad to read that you are also enjoying your 804Di speakers! :T

Comment

• ullodea
                                                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by beden1
                                                          To limit what you are hearing with the bad recordings, try positioning each speaker straight forward as opposed to a toe in positioning. I've played with this quite a bit as my stereo setup is very revealing, and this has really made a big difference. Now, it is rare that my ears get that bleeding feeling.
                                                          :T
                                                          I'll try that - thanks!

Comment

• spaceteddy
                                                            • Jan 2011

Summary:
                                                            After listening for some weeks I must say I'm very pleased.
                                                            I have this feeling this speakers are a little bit less forgiven
                                                            than the 804S, when playing rock music with average recording quality
                                                            it seems like the old ones sounds better. but when it comes to high
                                                            quality recordings like Dire Straits, Pink Floyd etc the difference is obvious.
                                                            I'm now saving for better amps, hoping to be able in 2 or 3 years.
                                                            Thanks for all your inputs folks.
                                                            Last edited by spaceteddy; 06 February 2011, 14:07 Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"