X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BassThatHz
    • Jul 2006

Let me know what you think of these results

It's been a while since I've posted anything. Thought I'd try something a little different this time.

This is my only way of getting a somewhat unbiased opinion.

Main Speakers are N803's, subwoofers are on low, but 2-ch mode.

See if you can guess what electronics/config I am using, and let me know if this is good results or not.
    For example, what type of gear you have heard that produces results similar to this?

Think of it as a blind listening/hearing test. :W
    Hint: It is all out-of-the-box Brand Name products, that's all I'll say for now.

[youtube]IU0_13GZDn0[/youtube]
    Keeping in mind that this is youtube quality after all, I recommend 720p.

My previous posts sort-of give most of it away, so no search-cheating now!!! :B
    I'm hoping most that did read it have since forgotten, so that they can participate, I'm mostly looking for at-least partially unbiased opinions.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi BassThatHz,

It's a bit hard to tell listening to a 8.9MB MP4 file with an AAC 187KBps audio track through a modest pair of headphones plugged into the headphone socket on my laptop... but I'd say you've got your speakers crossed over at 120Hz, i.e your N803s are playing everything above 120Hz and your subs are playing everything below 120Hz.

This is a complete guess based on the fact that I tried this when I owned a pair of CDM9NT speakers and achieved acceptable results. I was looking for more bass than my bass-light 9NTs could deliver. The 9NTs are similar in size to the N803s. Is my guess close?

By the way, ever since I installed a pair of 803Ds this high crossover frequency has been unnecessary.

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

120Hz sub crossover????. WOW......That's high??!!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• BassThatHz
        • Jul 2006

Here's a another vid, exercising the bass and loudnest a bit more.
        [youtube]VxSf663JHmU[/youtube]

My mic is just the built-in one on the hand held, probably a whole 5 cents :P

Comment

• BassThatHz
          • Jul 2006

Hint: I have no high-pass crossovers above 45hz.
          That's as detailed all I can say for now without eliminating electronic config possibilities.

Comment

• BassThatHz
            • Jul 2006

So no guesses at all so far?

Is it a receiver or is it seperates or a mix of both?
            Is it Class A, AB, H, D or something else?
            Is it Solid-State or Tubes or a mix of both?
            Power range?
            Price range?

Comment

• BassThatHz
              • Jul 2006

I believe this track was recorded at Abbey Road.
              Maybe it will help judge it...
              [youtube]nV8wi8Poxx8[/youtube]

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I'm not sure how anyone can really guess from a clip posted on YouTube? Well, I'm not up to the task anyway! What I'd like know is whats that big bad boy doing in the forefront?! Please share your secrets!

Great track by the way, Damien Rice - 9 Crimes, recorded at Abbey Road.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• BassThatHz
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                  What I'd like know is whats that big bad boy doing in the forefront?! Please share your secrets!

Great track by the way, Damien Rice - 9 Crimes, recorded at Abbey Road.
                  I build my own subwoofers because the store bought ones I see out there aren't nearly good enough for me (I'm picky), I wanted the best money could buy.

The one on the right is a TC LMS 18 Ultra.

The other two are Mal-X 21's (which they stopped selling anymore).
                  The next closest thing still selling is the Mach 5 - FTW21

I got the inspiration from Mr. Rissanen

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

The only thing I can tell from the youtube video is the mids sound really thin and "echo-eeee"... does that count??!?!

Great job on building the sub though!!!!

Do we get any pictures on the insides or build process or any of the good stuff?!?!?!
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• BassThatHz
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                      The only thing I can tell from the youtube video is the mids sound really thin and "echo-eeee"... does that count??!?!
                      The "in the air" song has a lot of echo baked into it, that's for sure!

Um but, you are also hearing their room, inside my room, inside your room, so that definitely adds something to it; sounds roomy :lol:

The more transparent a speaker is, the more of the room acoustics that they are singing in, that it will convey 8O

Or at least, that's what I convenience myself to think :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"