X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drewbert
    • Aug 2005

N803s or 703s....?

Im looking around on audiogon for some 700s... And I ultimatly want 804s or 803s. But I noticed that I can find N803s for a little bit more than the newer 700s.... so would you go for the N, or just save a little more and buy the newer 800s? For me the 703s are much easier to get, and I love the way they sound.

Also, as I watch movies all the time, I was thinking of 703s as my mains and a nice HTM3S as my center.... thoughts?
    Last edited by Drewbert; 06 December 2005, 14:28 Tuesday.
    -Drew
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I have 703's and love them. I have the HTM7 and dislike it every time I hear it. So, definitely go with the HTM2S. Then, you can upgrade to the 803S later for the fronts and get quite the improvement. That'd be my suggestion.

Comment

• jayskumar
      • Nov 2005

Hi Drewbert,

I'm actually in a similar boat. I am looking at the 804s and the 703's. It seems that for my needs (2 fronts and a center) the 804's along with the baby 800 center is only 1500 more than the 703's + 700 center. To me, everything about 804 is cleaner than the 703's. I'm leaning towards the 804's personally.

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Oh, don't get me wrong... I'd take the 804S and HTM2S over the 700s if I could do it again, but if there is a financial concern, the 703's sound great, just match them with an 800 series center. And when you upgrade from 703's to 803S's, you'll certainly appreciate the improvement.

Comment

• Drewbert
          • Aug 2005

Yeah good points, But Im saying.... 704s are just about the same price as the older N803s? But again, should I just wait around and buy what I want..... lol I think Im answering this myself.....
          -Drew

Comment

• jayskumar
            • Nov 2005

I auditioned the 704's and 703's and the 804s this past weekend. The difference between the 704's and the 703's was huge, especially at low volumes in the bass. In the high end and the middle range, both are the same, but the base doesn't drop out in the 703's like it does in the 704's at lower (read NYC apartment) levels. I was originally thinking the 704's and after that started thinking 703's or 804's.

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I say get the older N803's. Even though there is a new line, there is nothing bad or regrettable about getting them.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Drewbert
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                I say get the older N803's. Even though there is a new line, there is nothing bad or regrettable about getting them.
                Is there really that much difference to justify the extra cash?
                -Drew

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Drewbert
                  Is there really that much difference to justify the extra cash?
                  Between the old and new 800 series, or between the 700 series and 800 series?
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

before the new series came out, N800 series was still better than the 700 series. they did not suddenly become intolerable because an upgraded version came out.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Drewbert
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                      Between the old and new 800 series, or between the 700 series and 800 series?
                      well both....
                      -Drew

Comment

• nyny
                        • Jul 2004

I cannot comment on the diffs between the old and new 800s. But IMHO, there is really no comparison between the new 804S/803S and the 703s. The 800 series is a lot more open and has tighter bass. It has a more out of the box sound. I would definitely suggest that you get the 804S or the 803S if funds permit.
                        Tony

Comment

• dan87951
                          • Nov 2005

I have a pair of N803's and the only difference is the 803S adds the new bass drivers from what i'm told. I can't hear the difference betweent the two but thats me. I also have had a pair of 804's and if you have a larger room you need to fill I would definitely get the N803's I think they're one of the best bangs for the buck in the B&W line up. I have seen used B&W 803's for $3250-3500 on audiogon quite abit.
                          dan87951
                          audio guru

Comment

• Angioguy
                            • Nov 2005

800 vs 700

Bottom line--> get what sounds great to you.
                            B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• pinoy_g35
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by grit
                              I have 703's and love them. I have the HTM7 and dislike it every time I hear it. So, definitely go with the HTM2S. Then, you can upgrade to the 803S later for the fronts and get quite the improvement. That'd be my suggestion.
                              How can you dislike the HTM7 this much? Is it really night and day? I will be in the same boat as you are, I have 703's now and will be getting a HTHM7 in a week. Will $1750 really justify the difference between HTM7 and HTM3S in sound quality? My pocketbook doesn't think so.

Comment

• weijst
                                • Jun 2004

One might argue the compatibility of the HTM7 with 703's, but that doesn't mean the HTM7 is a bad / dislikeable speaker! What this is all about is the 'normal' mid/bass-unit vs the FST mid-unit.

A while ago I was thinking about making the step to the Nautilus series. The N805's were the models I was contemplating and people were praising the old HTM2. When I was unexpectedly able to get a hold of a pair of N804's and a HTM2 for a very reasonable price, those same people started depicting the HTM2 as being 'bad' and praising the 'old' HTM1... Yes, the HTM1 would have made a better match for the N804's. However, why the HTM2 was suddenly a 'bad' center has kept me wondering ever since...

Bottomline, the HTM3S (or the old HTM1) might be a better partner for your 703's, BUT that doesn't change the fact the HTM7 is a very nice center!

FWIW:
                                - I had a HTM7 and was very pleased about it
                                - I never had any regrets about combining the HTM2 with the N804's
                                Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• RobP
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Drewbert
                                  Im looking around on audiogon for some 700s... And I ultimatly want 804s or 803s. But I noticed that I can find N803s for a little bit more than the newer 700s.... so would you go for the N, or just save a little more and buy the newer 800s? For me the 703s are much easier to get, and I love the way they sound.

Also, as I watch movies all the time, I was thinking of 703s as my mains and a nice HTM3S as my center.... thoughts?
                                  Drewbert, If you really want to go to the 800 series or even the Nautilus line then I would go that route, I have the N803's and I love them, I dont think that the extra price for the new 800 series is justified for the minimal gains IMO. The N803's has been one purchase that I have never second guessed.
                                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Fife
                                    • Apr 2004

Richer folks get the newer series.

Smarter folks get the older top of the line.

The smartest folks ask questions.

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Fife
                                      The smartest folks ask questions.
                                      ...and?

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"