X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kobestonecold
    • Sep 2007

Diamond Tweeter vs. aluminium dome tweeter

Hi, in the near future i am looking to upgrade to 803d, 805s or 804s and i really want to know if the diamond tweeter is really worth the upgrade.
    I know that the Kevlar in the midrange sound the same but not so sure about the tweeter. Should i go with 805s with subwoofer vs. 804s or step into the world of diamond 803D.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

The price of 805 plus speaker stands is not much different from 804s alone. I have the N804 and use a ASW800 sub with them. Now, an 803D would be a huge jump in $$ but let your ears do the buying.

Comment

• shep
      • Dec 2004

you need to look at your budget, room layout, amplification, and (as mentioned), your ears before you can answer that.

Am very happy with the 803s. My neighbor is very happy with the 803d. Can't put a price on the difference in speakers as it is too subjective.

Comment

• kobestonecold
        • Sep 2007

So for those of you who used to have 800 series Diamond Tweeter and aluminum dome tweeter for sometime what do you really think about them?

Comment

• Nov 2005

Hi,
          I have the 805S which uses the aluminum tweeter. While shopping and demoing, I felt the diamond tweeter only started to show its advantages at high volume levels. Since the 805S is not suited to really high SPL's, the diamond tweeter is no advantage on that speaker. Make no mistake. The aluminum 800 series tweeter is very fine.

For the large floorstander's the diamond tweeter is the only way to go. It's expensive but worth the money in those cases.

Sparky

Comment

• cscuzzo
            • Jul 2007

Hi,

Personally, I think it depends on your priorities, too. For some reason, I've always been bothered by brightness and brittleness. I've owned N805s before, and they were never as clean as the ribbon Magnepans they replaced (had to downsize at the time). Traded those in for 803D. Wow. Clean. Better than the Magnepans, not having to worry about blown ribbons and with a bottom end, too. One hearing sold me. There's no replacement for a good audition, especially in your own home with your own equipment.

Clint

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kobestonecold
              Hi, in the near future i am looking to upgrade to 803d, 805s or 804s and i really want to know if the diamond tweeter is really worth the upgrade.
              It really is worth the upgrade. The aluminum tweets are great but they can quickly show their limitations on some source material. The diamond tweets are free of any audible breakup distortion and driver induced sibilance. Just have Diana Krall perform at the next audition and you should clearly hear the differences for yourself.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

I'm fussy regarding the quality of the source material that I listen to. Whist I found the aluminium tweeters to be adequate, I find that the diamond tweeters totally satisfy. I can and do listen for hours. Never did with the aluminium tweeters (but then my system was completely different back then).

I'd like to put forward an opinion that if you intend to use your speakers for critical music listening then I'd say: "Go 4 it!"

One thing I urge you to do before taking the plunge is take your best source material and spend some time listening to the difference.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  It really is worth the upgrade. The aluminum tweets are great but they can quickly show their limitations on some source material. The diamond tweets are free of any audible breakup distortion and driver induced sibilance. Just have Diana Krall perform at the next audition and you should clearly hear the differences for yourself.
                  HI Reb,
                  I have not heard the issue you mention. I suspect you need to provide a SPL context for your comment. Remember, I do have 250W/channel of Krell power driving my 805S's so I can certainly drive them loud; in fact louder than the speakers are designed to go. So, I don't do it. That will flat drive me out of the room before the speakers start to brake up.

Also, the 805S is designed for small spaces where high SPL's can be achieved without over driving the speaker.

We need to be very careful making blanket statements without considering the context.

As I said above, at very high SPL's the diamond tweeters start to show their stuff. At lower SPL's, I think the aluminum tweeter is just as good. Thus, the diamonds make sense on the big floorstanders in large rooms and the aluminum tweeters are just as good on the 805S's in a small room. That's my take on it. As usual, ther are no pat answers.

To the OP: Don't ask us. Go listen. Listen at your accustomed volume levels using music you are familiar with. I never understand why people don't trust their ears. Ultimately, they ae the best tools we have.

Sparky

Comment

• lawoftrust
                    • Feb 2008

personally I do not believe that volume isof any relevance to prove the superiority of the diamond tweeter over the aluminium tweeter. I own the 804S and compared to the 803D or higher the diamond tweeter shows at any volume its advantages.

I do not believe there to be any space for personal likings but simply for acceptance that B&W offers an inferior product for a higher price, nevertheless giving high value for the money.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                      • Sep 2007

Thank you for all the comments, i have to make a booking at my B&W dealer. :W

Comment

• Gremal
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by lawoftrust
                        personally I do not believe that volume isof any relevance to prove the superiority of the diamond tweeter over the aluminium tweeter.
                        As a previous owner of the N802, having upgraded to the 802D, I fully agree. It's a better listening experience at any volume (and when it comes to the 802s, the treble is not the only difference).
                        Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                        Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                        B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                        VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                        Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• kobestonecold
                          • Sep 2007

The diamond tweeter won then?

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Hey Sparky,

What do you consider “loud”? I listen to an average 74dB level. I find anything over 82dB to be “loud”. OSHA defines loud at 85dB. Are you suggesting that “loud” is the point at which the tweeter voice coil is pushed beyond its excursion limits? I get the impression that you are. I wasn’t referring to the mechanical distortion that develops when a transducer is pushed to clip. If you are then I agree that can be a problem area too but that wasn’t what I had in mind nor was it conveyed that way in text.

I’m speaking about the point at which the driver begins to loose pure pistonic behavior and how that can manifest itself “downstream” the audible range. Some source material is more susceptible to these effects than others. These differences show up more readily between the two tweeter types with the same sources. I hear less etch, less grit, less resonance, less metalic tizz and less sibilance (my pet peeve) with the diamond tweets than I do the aluminum tweets at certain frequencies. SPL’s are not a factor here unless you have some limitation in hearing aptitude. It doesn’t require much effort from a careful and discerning listener.

I think more care should be taken to understand the information before misinterpretation and false assumptions are exercised.

I know you are proud of your 805S and rightly so. I think they are among the best of the two-ways out there. However, pride of ownership should not distort ones judgment. The OP wanted to know if the audible difference between the two driver types was/is worth it. He didn’t ask if YOU could hear a difference but rather implied to what extent that YOU could. Do you have a better understand of the unabridged version now that it has been presented to you? 8)

I repeat the diamonds are worth it!
                            Last edited by RebelMan; 03 February 2008, 22:05 Sunday.

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

The diamond tweeter won then?
                              Indeed! Get the 803D. No sub required!

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Reb,
                                I'm just reporting what my ears tell me. I think I gave the diamond tweeters their proper credit. This difference between the way the 805S's and the the floorstanders are used is the main reason I don't think the diamond tweeters add enough sonic value to the 805S's to be worthwhile without a major redesign.

Sorry, but I just can't confirm your claims about the aluminum tweeters at levels the 805S's are comfortable with. It has nothing to do with my liking the speakers (I do of course). It's the sound, period. I'm the first to upgrade when I hear an obvious defect. Now, I don't.

Sparky

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

I'm telling it like it is too. I think calling the 805S's tweeter defective is a little harsh, I don't see it that way either. But it does come with limitations and that is a fact. You don't hear them and that is okay. I do and find it's not.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                    Indeed! Get the 803D. No sub required!
                                    Ok. Let me save my money until that day. It costs about $16016.00 USD here in NZ for a pair of 803D. Jeezzz, having a family and a kid can be hard. :M

Comment

• Gremal
                                      • Apr 2007

Ok. Let me save my money until that day. It costs about $16016.00 USD here in NZ for a pair of 803D.
                                      Dang, isn't that list price on a pair of 802D?
                                      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"