X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j1982
    • Aug 2011

Rotel 1520 integrated amp, B&W CM1 vs CM5

Hello, I just purchased a Rotel 1520 integrated amp, I am setting it up to my iMac and have ALAC files for music (still searching for a DAC under $500). My system will be in the living room of an apartment (about 12x13). Which speakers do you recommend, B&W CM1 vs CM5, I have listened to both at a local shop but cannot decide if $500 extra is worth it. I think the CM1 have clear sound than the CM5, does anyone here have listened to both? Thank you.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

j1982,

Congratulations on purchasing a nice integrated. Rotel and B&W make a very nice combo.

As to CM1 vs. CM5, I think you already have hit upon it. The best thing to do is listen to them yourself, with very familiar source material. Your ears are excellent guides.

Either speaker will be quite fine with the Rotel.

Do you plan to have a sub with the system? If no, then I might opt for the CM5 with the larger mid/bass driver.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

I think you will find the CM1 will get out of the way of itself a little better due to its smaller size, but the CM5 will have a fuller sound.

The CM1 presents a more amp friendly load with min impedance at 5.1 ohms vs. the CM5 at 3.7 ohms, so that little Rotel should have an easier time with the CM1.

But as always, let your ears decide....
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• bebop
        • Aug 2011

I went through this process a few months ago. I listened to the RA 1520 with the CM1 vs CM5 vs CM8.

I chose the CM5 in the end. I would have been happy with either, but got a good deal on the CM5 that made them only $250 more then the CM1, so it made the choice easier. I think in the end, I'm happy I chose the CM5. I live in apartment also and the CM5 are really not that big. And with the RA 1520, the volume knob rarely goes past the 9 o'clock point for my prefered level of listening.

But let your ears decide and get the one that makes your toes tap to the music .
        Analogue Source: Rega P1 w/ Ortofon OM30, Digital Source: Mac Mini (late 2009), PS3 -> Rega DAC -> Amplification: Rotel RA-1520 -> Speakers: B&W CM5, Wharfedale SW150

Comment

• j1982
          • Aug 2011

Thank you so much for your help! I went ahead and got the cm5 since I will not be using a sub. I still think the cm1 sounded more clear and detailed but I liked the bass on the cm5. Thank you all.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

j1982,

Congratulations! Post some pictures and impressions soon.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"