X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j1982
    • Aug 2011

Rotel 1520 integrated amp with B&W CM1 vs CM5

Hello, I just purchased a Rotel 1520 integrated amp, I am setting it up to my iMac and have ALAC files for music (still searching for a DAC under $500). My system will be in the living room of an apartment (about 12x13). Which speakers do you recommend, B&W CM1 vs CM5, I have listened to both at a local shop but cannot decide if $500 extra is worth it. Thank you.
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

I see that you have received one response over at CA from someone that has used the CM1 with a Bryston B60. The Bryston B60 is a 60W/ch @ 8 ohm amplifier as is the Rotel RA-1520. Bryston also specs the B60 as 100W/ch @ 4 ohms. Rotel does not give a 4 ohm power rating, although I would guess it would be similar.

Beyond the obvious difference of a 5" midbass driver in the CM1 vs the 6.5" driver in the CM5, the CM1 is quite a bit less efficient. The CM1 has a rated sensitivity of 84dB with a minimum impedance of 3 Ohms vs the CM5 with a sensitivity of 88dB with a minimum impedance of 3.7 Ohms.

The CM5 will be an easier to drive load and will most likely make the modest Rotel seem like a bigger amplifier in comparison, with a bit greater control and headroom.

On the subject of < $500 DACs: There is a company by the name of Schiit who build headphone amplifiers, and whose owner/engineers come from Sumo and Theta. Their product line of solid state, tube and hybrid headphone amplifiers is being expanded with several new DACs. http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?mai...&products_id=7

The first one is the entry level Bifrost DAC scheduled to be shipped on September 30. It is built in USA and features a discrete output stage. It sells for $349, or $449 with an optional asynchronous 24/192 USB input.

You may want to keep your ears open at Audiocircle.com and Head-Fi.org for information and comments/reviews after it ships.

Steve

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

srb,

Where do you get that the CM1 has min impedance of 3 ohms? All specs I have seen have it at 5.1 ohms.

Aside from the obvious difference in effeciency which can be attributed to the smaller drivers, I think that the CM1 would present an easier load to drive then the CM5.

Cheers..

Stuart
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by stuofsci02
        Where do you get that the CM1 has min impedance of 3 ohms? All specs I have seen have it at 5.1 ohms.
        You're right, the B&W CM1 spec sheet and manual both say 5.1 ohms. I got the apparent 3.0 ohm misinformation from the vendor ListenUp webpage Features and Specs (http://www.listenup.com/B%26W+CM1-p-CM1-p-.html).

Steve

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by srb
          You're right, the B&W CM1 spec sheet and manual both say 5.1 ohms. I got the apparent 3.0 ohm misinformation from the vendor ListenUp webpage Features and Specs (http://www.listenup.com/B%26W+CM1-p-CM1-p-.html).

Steve
          :^x Cool!
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"