X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • horndog
    • Sep 2010

Speakers to use with Rotel 1520 Amp/CD setup

Hey guys, first time poster here. Found this site doing research for my entry level foray into hi-fi. Based on excellent reviews and my amour for Rotel aesthetics, I've decided to get the Rotel 1520 CD player and pair it with the matching 1520 integrated amplifier for a 2 channel music listening in my 1 bedroom apartment living room. But now comes the question: which speakers? I'm probably doing this backward, and should have built the CD/Amp around the speakers, but I'm not the most sensible guy sometimes.

I hear that B&W matches quite well with Rotel so I've been scoping out some a pair of B&W CM1's, but would like to know (from experience if possible) other, good-sounding alternatives from other makes. Candidates include the NHT Classic 3 and Paradigm Studio 20, though I hear the Paradigm's could make this system too "bright."

Your thoughts? I may soon audition some speakers at a nearby shop that carries Rotel, but my budget only allows for used or discounted online purchases.

Thanks
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

I wouldn't call the Studio 20s bright but they can tend to have a little more sibilance on the top end then the CM1 or CM5. The best way I can describe it is cymbal hits tend to blend together a little more on the Paradigm, they're not as defined. Some people might take that as bright but to me it's a different thing. The midrange is really good on the Studio 20 and the bass is nice and fast.

If you are looking at the Studio 20 then I'd look at the CM5 instead of the CM1 (there is only a $200.00 difference in retail between them). I personally like the CM5 better but a friend of mine likes the Studio 20 so it just comes down to personal taste.

I don't know enough about the NHT to comment on them so I can't help there.

Eric

Comment

• cZwUV620
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by horndog
      Your thoughts? I may soon audition some speakers at a nearby shop that carries Rotel, but my budget only allows for used or discounted online purchases.
      I'd strongly recommend a pair of Energy Veritas v2.2i. They're not as power hungry as their bigger brothers. You should be able to find a used pair online for a decent price without the stands. I'd take the Veritas series over anything by Paradigm, B&W, etc.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"