X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

B&w 685 loses details at higher volume levels

I am driving two B&W 685s (no subwoofer) with a 6 ohm rated Pioneer-Vsx-519V-K receiver and source is a desktop Pc with onboard Realtek High Definition Audio sound chip.

Pioneer Vsx-519V-K's max volume level is "80" and source Pc's volume level is at highest.When I turn the volume level on receiver to more than "40" or at most more than "46" level(with some songs),the sound loses its details and clarity very clearly .

If I connect the speakers to Tv,at the receiver sound level "40",sound power is less than when it is connected to Pc and I can turn the volume level up to about "50"-"60" before sound starts to lose too much details and starts irritating.

B&W 685 is rated at maximum 100 W if I know right,and Pioneer Vsx-519V-K:

Rated power output
    Front, Center, Surround
    . . . . . . . . .130 W per channel (1 kHz, 6 Ω, 1 %)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 W per channel (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.09 %)
    Total Harmonic Distortion
    . . . . . . 0.06 % (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 95 W/ch)

Signal-to-Noise Ratio
    (IHF, short circuited, A network)
    LINE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 98 dB

Is it a normal situation that the sound loses details and clarity (generally) when I turn the volume level more than "40" though it's about half of the receiver's max volume level?
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

The Receiver volume really doesn't mean much.. We would really need to know what dB you are running them at (if you have a dB meter).

The 685s are a nice little bookshelf speaker and unless you are driving them really hard, they should be clean. It probably has a lot, if not everything, to do with the quality of the receiver. I hate to say it, but a $200 5.1 surround receiver is just not going to be at the level of those speakers..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answer.

The Receiver volume really doesn't mean much.. We would really need to know what dB you are running them at (if you have a dB meter).
      I don't have a dB meter,unfortunately...

The 685s are a nice little bookshelf speaker and unless you are driving them really hard, they should be clean. It probably has a lot, if not everything, to do with the quality of the receiver. I hate to say it, but a $200 5.1 surround receiver is just not going to be at the level of those speakers..
      I think I am glad that I hear it's not the speakers' fault...

Comment

• ryan.devry
        • Apr 2008

AwArEnEsS.....

The speakers shouldn't be losing clarity. I have 120W going to mine, and I push them very hard, several times a week with no loss in clarity. I actually enjoy the detail the harder I push them. I don't know much about your receiver, does it have pre-amp outputs.....If so, try hooking up an amp to it just to compare results. Or maybe barrow some equipment from your dealer and demo some different electronics in your home....Just a thought, good luck!
        Ryan
        -------------------------

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I agree with stuofsci02 . You are pushing the receiver too hard. You need a better amp. The receiver has no guts too it. You need to get something with some amperage to it. If you can afford it, try Rotel.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• tyreman
            • Dec 2009

I would agree with the above posters.

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

I suggest upgrading the receiver to something with more clean power like the Pioneer Elite SC models. B&W speakers need more higher current amps to make them sing. Even at the 6 series. They are fantastic speakers and you will really benefit from the upgrade.

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                • Mar 2011

Sorry if this seems off topic, but reading the above posts in regards to surround processor + amplifier, and owning the 600 series of speakers and considering an upgrade to the CM series, would upgrading from the Pioneer VSX-LX62 to the Emotiva UMC1 and Emotiva XPA-5 be a worthy upgrade? Would it suffice for the 600/CM series of speakers?
                The Pioneer receiver at the time was about $1,900AUD and the Emotiva gear would be about the same price shipped.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nirvana_1911
                  Sorry if this seems off topic, but reading the above posts in regards to surround processor + amplifier, and owning the 600 series of speakers and considering an upgrade to the CM series, would upgrading from the Pioneer VSX-LX62 to the Emotiva UMC1 and Emotiva XPA-5 be a worthy upgrade? Would it suffice for the 600/CM series of speakers?
                  The Pioneer receiver at the time was about $1,900AUD and the Emotiva gear would be about the same price shipped.

Nirvana_1911,

In a word, yes. A set of separates with 600 or CM will be quite good. Pretty much everything would be improved. Soundstage, dynamics, bass, details, etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                    • Mar 2011

I'm really looking forward to it, as long as there is a definite perceivable difference, then I am satisfied.
                    I know that even an average separate pre-processor/pre-amp and amp is much better than the all-in-one receivers.
                    I was even told that before I go out and buy anything better than B&W 600's, to go from the source, toward the speaker in upgrades, i.e. processor/pre-amp/amp and not run out and buy a better speaker hoping to get the same great sound from the store from my Pioneer receiver.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                      • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.

Comment

• Charlieu
                        • Oct 2008

Something else to consider. When you turn up the volume, you are also increasing the intensity of room reflections. They may not be audible at lower volumes, but when you crank it, they can cause all sorts of havoc. They can cancel out some frequencies and reinforce others. Some acoustic panels at the reflection points in your room can solve the problem.

Comment

• emig5m
                          • Aug 2008

When I was playing around with my 685's for main speakers (normally use them as surround) I was a little leery about hooking them up to my Emotiva XPA-5 thinking I might damage or overpower them. Boy was I shocked how well the little 685 performed with the big power amp and how loud and clean they played with a much bigger sound than they look! If it wasn't for the obviously more open and detailed mid of the 683 which I already owned and tested back-to-back, I would of been content with the 685 as front mains! :T The 683 might need the power amp for the ohm drops, but the 685 also needs power for it's slightly less efficiency! Any good speaker should be powered by a decent power amp to perform it's best IMO. Even the little guys like the 685....

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by emig5m
                            When I was playing around with my 685's for main speakers (normally use them as surround) I was a little leery about hooking them up to my Emotiva XPA-5 thinking I might damage or overpower them. Boy was I shocked how well the little 685 performed with the big power amp and how loud and clean they played with a much bigger sound than they look! If it wasn't for the obviously more open and detailed mid of the 683 which I already owned and tested back-to-back, I would of been content with the 685 as front mains! :T The 683 might need the power amp for the ohm drops, but the 685 also needs power for it's slightly less efficiency! Any good speaker should be powered by a decent power amp to perform it's best IMO. Even the little guys like the 685....
                            I like this status.

I've got the 685's, 686's and HTM61 and I'm looking forward to getting my UMC-1 and XPA-5 for them all shortly.
                            I don't think the Pioneer VSX-LX52 is cutting it at all.
                            I've heard the 685's in a home theater store, with proper stereo gear and sounds amazing to my ears, for what they are.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"