X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John22614
    • Feb 2010

How to get the widest sweet spot.

Hi all,

I have been enjoying my 804s for well over a year now. I am very impressed with the quality of sound, width and depth of soundstage, vocal realism, etc.

But, there's one area I would like to improve while listening to music in stereo, and that's width of the sweet spot.

The speakers are 7 feet apart and I sit 8 feet in front of them. The drivers are a bit more than 2 feet from the back wall and the plasma is in the middle set back about 8 inches from the front plane of the speakers. Due to room constraints, I can't move the speakers out any further from the back wall.

I have tried various toe in angles, but no matter what I do, I can't create a sweet spot of more than about a foot wide. Is this pretty much all I can expect?

I really would it to be more like 2 feet, so two people can enjoy comfortably.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.
    B&W 804s Mains
    B&W HTM4 Center
    Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
    Marantz AV 7005 processor
    Anthem MCA 30 Amp
    Panasonic 3D BluRay player
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Have you tried just positioning the speakers straight forward, and without any toe-in?

Comment

• John22614
      • Feb 2010

Well, I just tried that and also moved the couch back another six inches or so, both seem to help. Thanks!
      B&W 804s Mains
      B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
      Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by John22614
        Well, I just tried that and also moved the couch back another six inches or so, both seem to help. Thanks!
        :T I was just doing the same thing a couple of nights ago.

Comment

• John22614
          • Feb 2010

Beden,

I see on your profile you have 803d's......man, I love the sound of those. How far apart are they and how far do you sit from them? How much were you able to improve the sweet spot by facing them forward?
          B&W 804s Mains
          B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
          Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by John22614
            Beden,

I see on your profile you have 803d's......man, I love the sound of those. How far apart are they and how far do you sit from them? How much were you able to improve the sweet spot by facing them forward?
            My 803Ds are about 10' apart and I sit about 9' from each speaker. I used to have them toed in which was how I always did it, or thought that was the best way.

I was playing with another system that I have and placed those speakers straight forward to limit what I felt were bright highs with the new 804Ds. It worked very well and I noticed the "sweet spot" became larger. Those speakers are about 7' feet apart and I sit 7' from each speaker (similar to your setup).

My 803Ds already had a very good sound stage because they are 10' apart. When I positioned my 803Ds straight forward, I mostly noticed that the bass tightened up and became more defined.

Comment

• John22614
              • Feb 2010

Very nice....appears you have two great set ups Beden. Thanks for the suggestion.
              B&W 804s Mains
              B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
              Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"