X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zx_toth
    • Apr 2009

How do I get started w/ 800 series?

Good morning,

New poster on this Club. Have posted a bit in the Club Rotel as all of my gear is Rotel (Rotel 1570 pre-amp, Rotel 1085 5-ch amp, Rotel 1080 2-ch amp, Rotel CDP 15XX?). Im ready to make the jump from mid-fi audio to hi-fi. Im looking to replace my current 7.1 system with all BW 800 series. This will haveto be done one pair of speakers at a time due to the fact I bought a new house 1 month ago. What do you guys recommend. I can think of a few scenerios.

Im looking at a final set up of 802Di (front), HTM2, and either the 804Dis as surround and surround back or an 803Di thrown into the surround mix.

1) buy 804di, HTM2 and use as front and as I get other speakers in the line move 804dis back.
    2) buy 802di, HTM2 and buy surround speakers in time.
    3) but 803Di, HTM2 and move them back as other speakers are purchased.

Perhaps none of this makes much difference but I wanted to throw that out there. Whatever may provide the most enjoyable upgrade path.

Thanks ahead of time.

Zsolt
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

Option 2. Rear speakers matters little. Fronts are everything.
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• jeepers
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Skyblue
      +1. IMHO 804Di and/or 803Di as surround and surround back are overkill; 805Di is good enough

Comment

• zx_toth
        • Apr 2009

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards Option 2, seeing the 802Di in my set up would be nice. I agree as well with the 805Di on surround duty. My current setup has book shelves on surround duty and they do a fine job.

My HT room is 22 x 20, 7 foot celings. Since its on the third floor of my house (converted attic) the walls are angled inward.

Ill post pictures once the room is up and running with my first shipment of gear.

Best regards,

Zsolt

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jeepers
          +1. IMHO 804Di and/or 803Di as surround and surround back are overkill; 805Di is good enough
          No argument from me. However, the 804 has the same footprint as the 805, is more stable on the floor due to weight distribution and more extended bass. Not more more $$ with the cost of the stands considered.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Skyblue
            I have to agree with option #2. Where in Canada are you located Zslot?

Comment

• Rod#S
              • Oct 2010

I have just recently started a 800 series upgrade myself, I'm upgrading from Paradigm Reference speakers. I have chosen to go the option 2 route all be it slightly staggered. I purchased the HTM2Di in February and placed the order for the 802Di's on Thursday. What I'm doing is moving my current mains, Studio 100v2's to the rears (they will replace Studio 60v2's) once my 802Di's arrive. I'll have quite a bit of time to decide on the side and rear surrounds.

Kal makes a very interesting observation about the 805s with stands vs 804s. My side surrounds are stand mounted and I always worry about them when company is over. It doesn't take much to knock them over whereas I never have that feeling with my Studio 60s in the rear.

Rod
              B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• windshear
                • Dec 2004

I would also say option 2 is best. Where is disagree with some comments is regarding the surrounds. Nothing beats a full range speaker , even for surround duty. All my surrounds used to be full range, only once they were gone did i realise what i was missing, having changed over to smaller wall mounted speakers for space and practical constraints. I have not been able to replicate the sound i used to have with the floor standers and that includes having added more subwoofers to the equation.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Zsolt,

I have 802D's (not Di's). I would definitely recommend option two. The 802Di's are awesome for stereo and the bedrock of an excellent HT system.

I like your final planned setup. It the Di version of what I have. I definitely recommend full tower rears. With the HD Audio on Blu Rays, quality rears are now quite relevant.

Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by htsteve; 24 April 2011, 11:43 Sunday.

Comment

• zx_toth
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                    I have to agree with option #2. Where in Canada are you located Zslot?
                    I am located on beautiful Manitoulin Island on Lake Huron.

A gorgeous place in the spring and summer but a bit of a test to your sanity in the winter months. Also not the best place to get hifi audio as our town has a population of 1500 people (not a misprint). My local BW dealer is 2 hours away drive.

Glad to see fellow country men here.

Zsolt

Comment

• zx_toth
                      • Apr 2009

I appreciate all the advice, especially those that have gone through the same thought processes as myself and experienced the bookshelf vs surround. In lurking a bit I have noted others mentioning the similar cost between the 805s and 804s once stands are factored in.

Looking forward to being a BW speaker owner in the near future. They have definately been my dream speaker since starting this hobby.

Zsolt

Comment

• Skyblue
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by zx_toth
                        I appreciate all the advice, especially those that have gone through the same thought processes as myself and experienced the bookshelf vs surround. In lurking a bit I have noted others mentioning the similar cost between the 805s and 804s once stands are factored in.

Looking forward to being a BW speaker owner in the near future. They have definately been my dream speaker since starting this hobby.

Zsolt
                        I have 805s as rears. And that is fine for HT. However clearly the most enjoyment comes from the fronts, both for HT and Stereo. So if the question is to begin with the front or the rears, then its a no brainer. What you the nlater choose for rears, 805s, 804s, or 803s, well, that would depend on your financial situation. The more expensive the better.
                        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Option two obviously would be the best, but it is about $10k more expensive then option 1. In the end, the cost will be the same, but up front investment will be different.

Option 1 also gives you the opportunity to enjoy various levels of the 800 series. The 804Di are amazing speakers and would certainly be awesome as mains. It would give you a chance to get familiar with them before moving them to the back.

I have always liked taking smaller steps so that I could hear and appreciate the differences between speakers.

In any event, all of those choices will provide you with hours of enjoyment.
                          Main System:
                          B&W 801D
                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                          Oppo BDP-105
                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                          B&W CM7
                          Emotiva UMC-1
                          Emotiva UPA-2
                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• aarsoe
                            • May 2004

I would argue to go with option 1 or 3 as this will balance the spending better plus I honestly think that breaking in back speakers will take forever if you only or mostly use them for movies. If you play a lot of music in 5 channel then you can disregard that..

In regards to the 804 vs 803 then I would argue that this is mostly a matter of how much you are willing to spend and also how much importance you place on your decor. The 804 would be easier to accept as they are much smaller.

Comment

• grit
                              • Jan 2005

Quick question - whats the primary purpose (2ch sound, 5ch sound, 5.1 movies, etc)? Also, have you factored in upgrading your electronics at all?

Comment

• KRC
                                • Aug 2004

Zsolt, also welcome to the forum, a fellow Ontarian.

You are in a beautiful neck of the woods, we camped for a week in Tobormary and traveled the Bruce.

As you are on the island and mention it takes two hours to get to a dealer, where do you shop? There are not any major cities around your area that would carry what you are looking at, I thought I had it bad for travelling one hour to get to Toronto. I will jump on the bandwagon and go with Option 1. Not knowing your budget or your ability to come up with that kind of funding, unless you just filed your Income tax and you have a very good accountant, you are looking at a very long term upgrade cycle. As you presently have Rotel gear, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, you would need to upgrade electronics to match your speaker choices.

You never mentioned what speakers these 800's are replacing, if the centre, sub and surround are decent, I would go with the L/R as a start, namely the 804's. I do not keep up with the pricing, but I believe the 802's are in the area of 15k and depending on your long term plan they would be a great speaker to end up with. The reason I mentioned Option 1 was that you may find that if/when you get the 804's they maybe exactly what you are looking for sound and budget wise and build the rest of the system from that point.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"