X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

Bye bye B&W speakers, Hello .....

I´m happy with my B&W 801 series 80, but now it´s time for a change. I want a big speaker for cheap money that i can work with. So i´m going to swap my B&w 801 series 80 for a pair of Infinity Kappa 9a. Have a friend who has two pairs of these, and with a good amount of time and the RIGHT electronics/power amp you can get amazing results. The 801 are truely amazing big my wife says they have to go :-( Kappa 9a is only 20cm in depth :-)

I´m really taking a side step, I tested the new 805di, woooow blown away, but i can´t afford them yet, and i´m going to build a theatre downstairs with Infinity Kappa 9a as front, Kappa 7 or 8 as centre and kappa 6 as rear. I have a piar of kappa 6 as computer speakers, so now i´ll get the kappa 9, and later a pair of kappa 7 or 8. AND then i´ll buy a nice pair of B&W Di for music only.

Anyone know or had Infinity Kappa 9??

:T
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

Hey Congratlations on your new home theatre. Its not only B&W that makes great affordable speakers
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• ac81017
      • Aug 2006

Ha ha ha. I took a once in a life time deal!! I´ve now sold my kappa 9s. And now I have Infinity IRS Beta. The ultimate B&W killer in every way fro a fraction of the price :-)

Comment

• nirvana_1911
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ac81017
        Ha ha ha. I took a once in a life time deal!! I´ve now sold my kappa 9s. And now I have Infinity IRS Beta. The ultimate B&W killer in every way fro a fraction of the price :-)
        Really?
        If they are that good, I need to look into them, I don't know much about the Kappa and Infinity's.

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

A word of advice. I would personally stay away from almost every speaker using foam in their drivers. The kappa's will guaranteed require rework if they have not already had that done to them. Foam simply disintegrates into dust over time. This does not happen to any B&W speakers as they use rubber instead of foam.

Before you part with your 801's I suggest that if you haven't already upgraded the crossover, then I strongly suggest you doing that before you sell them. You will not believe how much better they can become by simply swapping to better components and maybe also upgrade the tweeters to the ones used in the newer 801,2 or 801,3 series. All of this can be done on a relatively small budget and you will be surprised how much can be gained from it.

Your 801 Series 80 is a classic that can wrestle with most of the new stuff today if you take care of them, upgrade them and give them the right amplification..

Comment

• ac81017
            • Aug 2006

Re-foaming is not a problem for me. I´ve re-foamed 100´s of speakers. Foam edges are cheap. You can even buy rubber edges, my new IRS beta will soon be changed to rubber edges. 8 x 12inch basses!

My old 801s were fantastic, but these monster IRS Beta make my old 801s sound like a radio alarm clock. I should have kept my 801s for my studio :-(

I thought my B&W days were over. It truns out that my friend has restored a pair of penguins (DM6??) which i will buy of him for my studio :-)

Comment

• ac81017
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by nirvana_1911
              Really?
              If they are that good, I need to look into them, I don't know much about the Kappa and Infinity's.
              You have to know what your doing when buying the big Kappa speakers. Kappa 9 eat power amps and fuses for breakfast. The bass can dip down to 0.5 ohm. Infinity are a class on there own like B&W. B&w speakers are more easy going.

Ifinity Kappa or high end IRS series take a lot of time and messing around with in order for them to sound right. The EMit tweeters are nightmare to get them sounding how they should.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"