X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashmostro
    • Dec 2007

Sub selection to go along with CM series 5-channel

So I'm considering (close to a decision) getting a 5-ch setup consisting of the CM9, Centre 2, and CM5 for my HT. I live in an apartment so I rarely crank the music or movies. I value sound quality, imaging, and frequency response over SPL.

I was assuming I would get the ASW12CM to go with the whole setup but I am now considering two other options:

2) A JL Audio Fathom, probably 12"
    3) Use my existing Rhythmik Audio amplifier with one of their servo subs (don't have a servo sub right now) and build a new enclosure for it. Right now, I have the Rhythmik amp driving a 15" sealed sub that is not servo.

What would you all recommend and why?

Thanks
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

ashmostro,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T I expect you will find it helpful.

Now on to your question. You have a nice setup planned. That setup will give you plenty of excellent sound.

You list interesting options. I like B&W subs, they perform well. I also think for similar money, you can do better from a performance-price perspective. Your next two options definitely have different price points. Building your own sub is an option and saves money versus buying one. For some, that is OK.

You list the JL Audio Fathom 112. An excellent sub. I have one in my 802D based HT system. It is very musical and very visceral. It blends very well with my B&W's. A reference sub. If you have the budget, this is definitely a contender. Another option might be the Fathom 110 (the 10" version). That might work quite nicely in your apartment setting.

What are your electronics?

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by htsteve; 31 December 2010, 09:29 Friday.

Comment

• ashmostro
      • Dec 2007

What a nice warm welcome! Thank you!

You're absolutely right that the price points are rather different. That said, I am willing to consider a relatively wide price range if it means considering features and factors that are highly relevant(compared to cost, within reason). The considerations I am concerned with are performance, appearance, and and integration into my living space. I would consider the 10" as well. My only concern there is future use of the same equipment in a larger space. 12" is probably the lowest I want to go in order to avoid obsolescence if I move.

I am considering building the sub not to save money, but for musicality and control over the final product. Servo driven subs are pretty darned accurate. Then again, the Fathom has the room eq feature which should help a lot in my boxy space.

Also, for the record, I am also considering building the HT speakers, using all Scan Speak drivers. This is a decision I will be making in the next few days.

The rest of the equipment on the audio stream includes a Denon 3808ci, a PC connected via HMDI, and a panasonic blu ray player. I dont have an SACD or other dedicated audio source. I may get an Oppo BDP-93 at some point but I'm more of a movie guy for this setup.

Oh and the TV is a panny 65vt25

Sounds to me like you are recommending the JL over the B&W sub? Can you elaborate as to why specifically?

Thanks!

Comment

• ashmostro
        • Dec 2007

Oh, and you also inferred there were other options that you would recommend over the B&W at similar price points. Can you list these?

One of the reasons I am considering the ASW is because of the design integration. I have auditioned the full 5.1 setup and it sounded pretty decent. The speakers were a little boxy but I think that may have been a setup issue. They definitely dont have the creamy texture of revelators that I love (the main reason I'm considering going custom-built).

Comment

• Aiden
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ashmostro
          Oh, and you also inferred there were other options that you would recommend over the B&W at similar price points. Can you list these?

One of the reasons I am considering the ASW is because of the design integration. I have auditioned the full 5.1 setup and it sounded pretty decent. The speakers were a little boxy but I think that may have been a setup issue. They definitely dont have the creamy texture of revelators that I love (the main reason I'm considering going custom-built).

Personally, I agree on the JL subs over the B&W. B&W subs are excellent performers, just that there seems to be better values.

As far as speakers are concerned, I agree with you about Scan Speak drivers. Have you had a chance to listen to Sonus Faber? They use SSR drivers with their ring tweeters.

Comment

• ashmostro
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Aiden
            As far as speakers are concerned, I agree with you about Scan Speak drivers. Have you had a chance to listen to Sonus Faber? They use SSR drivers with their ring tweeters.
            Thanks for that suggestion, Aiden.

Couple responses to that question: 1) if I'm going to use or build a speaker utilizing scan drivers I want all the drivers to be revelators or illuminators. The slit cone design in the mid/woofers are a big part of the low distortion figures that make the speakers sound so amazing. 2) I'm not a fan of ring radiators due to their higher directivity. In HT, I'd like a pretty wide sweet spot. One of the reasons I'd be going with a three way design utilizing 4.5" mids on the front stage.

In fact, my only design complaint on the CM9s is the use of a relatively large dedicated midrange as this will increase directivity which I feel is okay for two channel but not ideal for HT. I'm probably picking nits but I have the luxury since I haven't bought anything yet.

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

You could always go with the CM8. It has a 5" midrange instead of the 6" on the CM9.
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"