X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

B&W DB1 or Paradigm Sub 15 ?

Im looking to upgrade to either one of these subwoofers. Im currently using a Rel Storm and a SVS SB12. A dealer has loaned me the DB1 to test and im truly impressed with its capability and control. The problem is i have no real point of reference other than my current set up. It gets even worse with the Sub 15 as i cannot test it at home so would be buying blind.

The DB1 has not a single review on the net, the Sub 15 everyone raves about, hence having me in two minds.

What complicates the situation more is all my other speakers are B&W, using the 802D's with an HTM1D.

Then when one factors price into it, the Sub 15 is cheaper and would be better value for money.

Any ideas or suggestions in terms of either product or other aspects would be most invaluable in maybe shedding some light on a tough decision.

So which one would you buy if you had my decions to make?
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

It is rather strange so silent the web is with the new b&w speakers. Almost no reviews at all. I would have expected reviewers to get samples a year ago, but still nothing? Well, Kal got his speakers in september, but why not earlier? I dont get it..
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Rod#S
      • Oct 2010

I'll take a stab at this. I have never heard either sub however when it comes to subwoofers personally I don't believe a subwoofer from the same manufacturer as your main speakers has any real advantage. Typically when we consider the main speaker arrray things like timbre matching comes up a lot with speakers across the same product line from the same manufacturer and I believe that has definite merit but when it comes to the subwoofer which it's job is to amplifiy the low frequencies it is much less of an issue.
      I personally have 2 Paradigm Reference Servo 15a's which are basically the predecessor of the Sub 15 and those subs are great. Very powerful, smooth and quick and for those that I have read who have upgraded from the Servo 15 to the Sub 15 they have reported it as a worthwhile step up with the Sub 15 being able to play louder and deeper. I also have the Paradigm Signature Sub 25 which would probably be more inline with the price of the B&W DB1. The Sub 25 is scary in it's performance. It's a speaker that you truly feel whereas say my Servo 15's can be both heard as well as felt. The Sub 25 can move the air in the room with ease without giving away it's location.
      Like you I would consider the Sub 15 very good value for the money. The DB1 is most likely quite powerful with it's dual 12" drivers and it's too bad you can't compare it with the Sub 15. With those 2 drivers it may be able to achieve a higher SPL then the single 15" driver in the Paradigm. A step up from the Sub 15 would be the Sub 1 with 6 8" drivers but I'm not sure how much of a price increase it is over the Sub 15. I know it's cheaper than my Sub 25. If you are considering spending the money on the DB1 then I would also give some serious consideration into getting two Sub 15s, at that point I can't see the DB1 being able to compete as two subs not only increase the SPL but fill the room better.
      How are you running your current 2 subs, are they running off the same input? I run my Servo-15s in stereo and the Sub 25 does the LFE duty only. I would love to have a second Sub 25 to run with the one I have now.
      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• windshear
        • Dec 2004

I hear what you are saying about the subs, there is no point in being sentimental about same brand and matching. We get ripped off in terms of pricing our side of the pond. That said and done the DB1 is only $800 more than a sub 15 here, so not quite the big difference elsewhere.

My two subs were run in a dual configuration via dual independant LFE outputs. The same signal but calibrated seperately via the processor.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

Have you considered maybe one/two of SVS's biggest subs(Ultra series)? Pretty sure it's going to be cheaper than the B&W DB1.

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

This is a tuff call. I have Installed the Sub15 many times and found it to be worth every penny as it performs for music as well as theater to the extreme.
            Now the DB1 I have not Installed so I can't comment on that sub but I have Installed many B&W subs in the past and loved every single one.

The best question to ask yourself is if this decision is important to you then I suggest buying both and demoing them in home to see which one is better for your system.
            Going with the B&W sub you already know music will not be a problem. The sound of a b&W sub over the years is sweet and clean. For theater I'm willing to bet the Sub15 will be at least as good or better. Music I'm sure it's going to be difficult to pick one.
            The Sub15 is a hell of a sub as Paradigm should give up on speaker building and go sub only. This is their strong point. All of their subs are fantastic at their respected price point and look pretty good doing so.

Comment

• windshear
              • Dec 2004

Thanks guys, all valid points to consider. Unfortunately SVS isnt an option for me as i would have to import it myself to this part of the world. At one stage it was my first choice, but have now narrowed my options down to these two options.

As it is, the price difference between the two units works out about $800 dollars, which i could use towards some other equipment. At the moment common sense says the Sub 15, as its much better value for money and there are only glowing reviews on it. The DB1 is an unknown quantity in terms of comparison, however i have tested it and im most impressed with it so far. Also the service and support i have received so far from the dealer has been exemplary, so much so he has loaned me a new Lexicon MC12HD to try and isolate a sound issue i am having with my current processor, or so i thought.

Maybe its time to flip a coin and go ahead with one option or the other before the year is over . :W

Comment

• NMG
                • Oct 2004

This isn't going to help much with your current decision, however, I purchased a Paradigm Sub 12 recentely to pair up with my 703's and I'm VERY happy with it. It easily keeps pace with the 703's and it sounds superb for movies and HT. The build quality is also outstanding. I'm moving soon and I may actually pick up another one if I have the dough. No regrets with the purchase at all and like Dmantis said, Paradigm does make great subs so if you do go with the Sub 15, I'm sure you will be very happy

Comment

• windshear
                  • Dec 2004

Well i have settled on the sub 15. It has been delivered and i unpacked it as far as possible, now i await a visit from anyone who will help me fully unpack it. Too heavy to do alone.

Comment

• NMG
                    • Oct 2004

Well get some help ASAP! For what it's worth, my Sub 12 was a handful, I can't imagine a Sub 15, LOL. It's actually amazing how such a small box can weigh so much!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Congratulations on your new Sub 15's! Take care not to crack your house foundation.
                      Wishing you many hours of subsonic enjoyment! :T

Comment

• windshear
                        • Dec 2004

Grrrrrr :M I still havent been able to try it ....... work work work and no help to move it .

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"