803Di/HTM2Di; what is best, MC252, 205 or 303?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dukester
    • Sep 2010

803Di/HTM2Di; what is best, MC252, 205 or 303?

Currently using NAD T785 (150wpc in stereo) to drive 803Di/HTM2Di fronts; very good sound, but not the warm/liquid Mac sound i prefer (should have never said yes to "wanna hear how a mac sounds?")...segue

Looking into getting a MC252 but had some questions. Wondering if the MC205 has a different sound since a non autoformer? What drawback (if any) is driving ctr ch w/different amp in HT applications? Is MC303 a must to maintain timbre?

Never purchased on Agon but some pretty good deals; what to look out for/be aware of? Before i head back to my dealer, would like your opinions so i feel better prepared. Thanks for any feedback.
    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

dukester,

Good questions. Please see some thoughts below.

* The MC252 will drive the 803Di's very well. Outstanding depth, bass and soundstage.

* Yes, there is a difference between the amps with autoformers (252) and those without (like the 205). I have an MC205. Initially, it drove my entire set-up (802D, HTM2D and 804S's). The MC205 is an excellent amp. It drove all of them very well. Smooth, with good details, bass and soundstage. I then added the MC252 to drive the 802D's. Definite improvement. Bass quality/depth, soundstage were all impressively improved (see comment above). The 252 does not have many more watts, but it has alot more current and the autoformers. I've since traded in the 252 for an MC402, which is another level of improvement yet.

I would not say that the 205 has a different general sound than the 252 or other amps with autoformers. I would say the other amps take what the 205 does well and takes it up a notch (or two or three....). I'm running my center and rears today off of the 205. Quite pleased with the overall system performance.

* MC303. An intriguing idea. If I had the funds for one, I likely would get one. So all the channels would have high power plus autoformers. Match things up as closely as possible. However, as I've noted, I'm quite happy with the 402/205 combo right now.

I think with some amp makers, there might be a small bit of concern about different amps in a system. But better brands tend to be pretty consistent across the board. I definitely think this is the case with Macs.

* You can find some pretty good deals on Audiogon. You need to pay attention to the sellers ratings, communicate with them in person, pay via a method that protects you. etc. Maybe it's a dealer looking to moved some used gear. So I can't speak directly to Macs on Audiogon. I've gotten all my Mac's (new and used) from my dealer. It is nice to have a dealer to go to in case of any issues.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

well you like Mcintosh sound...I have the B&W803DI too but I have all from Classé....is a personal taste.
      I had a Mcintosh Mc205 but sol....I don't like the Mcintosh sound...

with your great speaker, and the new 803 are very amazing :T for me a mc205 is a brake...of course can drive the all system but is not what can you "fly"....
      a Mc252 for the L&R will be very apprecied. a Mc402 is the Top, open for the future and a upgrade versus 802DI without change the amplifier...but is $$$.
      Like wrote htsteve the combo "Mc402 and 205" is great....
      Personlay I dont will put moey for the 303...but is my opinion....

but the preampli go change or you go use the Nad?
      is a money question too: search Mc402 and later go with the Mc205 if is not possible the 2 in the same time.. OR
      new pre search a premapli Mc if you go with Mc amplifier (the pre and ampli from the same brand in HT is a good thing) and as ampli a mc 205.
      later a mc402 to drive the L&R.

greetings Style

Comment

• dukester
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
        dukester,

Good questions. Please see some thoughts below.

* The MC252 will drive the 803Di's very well. Outstanding depth, bass and soundstage.

* Yes, there is a difference between the amps with autoformers (252) and those without (like the 205). I have an MC205. Initially, it drove my entire set-up (802D, HTM2D and 804S's). The MC205 is an excellent amp. It drove all of them very well. Smooth, with good details, bass and soundstage. I then added the MC252 to drive the 802D's. Definite improvement. Bass quality/depth, soundstage were all impressively improved (see comment above). The 252 does not have many more watts, but it has alot more current and the autoformers. I've since traded in the 252 for an MC402, which is another level of improvement yet.

I would not say that the 205 has a different general sound than the 252 or other amps with autoformers. I would say the other amps take what the 205 does well and takes it up a notch (or two or three....). I'm running my center and rears today off of the 205. Quite pleased with the overall system performance.

* MC303. An intriguing idea. If I had the funds for one, I likely would get one. So all the channels would have high power plus autoformers. Match things up as closely as possible. However, as I've noted, I'm quite happy with the 402/205 combo right now.

I think with some amp makers, there might be a small bit of concern about different amps in a system. But better brands tend to be pretty consistent across the board. I definitely think this is the case with Macs.

* You can find some pretty good deals on Audiogon. You need to pay attention to the sellers ratings, communicate with them in person, pay via a method that protects you. etc. Maybe it's a dealer looking to moved some used gear. So I can't speak directly to Macs on Audiogon. I've gotten all my Mac's (new and used) from my dealer. It is nice to have a dealer to go to in case of any issues.

Hope this helps.
        Thanks for the feedback. I would really like to purchase used through my dealer for added peace of mind (as you pointed out). But if I was to purchase new, I wonder what to expect as far as a discount if any at all? I've heard Mac is coming out with new stuff so i would think they'd have dealer incentives. In any case, thanks again.
        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• dukester
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by style
          well you like Mcintosh sound...I have the B&W803DI too but I have all from Classé....is a personal taste.
          I had a Mcintosh Mc205 but sol....I don't like the Mcintosh sound...

with your great speaker, and the new 803 are very amazing :T for me a mc205 is a brake...of course can drive the all system but is not what can you "fly"....
          a Mc252 for the L&R will be very apprecied. a Mc402 is the Top, open for the future and a upgrade versus 802DI without change the amplifier...but is $$$.
          Like wrote htsteve the combo "Mc402 and 205" is great....
          Personlay I dont will put moey for the 303...but is my opinion....

but the preampli go change or you go use the Nad?
          is a money question too: search Mc402 and later go with the Mc205 if is not possible the 2 in the same time.. OR
          new pre search a premapli Mc if you go with Mc amplifier (the pre and ampli from the same brand in HT is a good thing) and as ampli a mc 205.
          later a mc402 to drive the L&R.

greetings Style
          I agree on the 303....seems it is targeted at specific applications and not as flexible as a 2/Multi ch amp in terms of versatility...something to revisit in the future.

I do plan on using my NAD's preamp until i can get into a Mac preamp. I feel an amp is my next logical upgrade in terms of finding the sound i want for hifi, followed by a better sub...at least thats the plan. For now, i think the MC252 is a solid start.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

dukester,

Good plan. Good idea to go with the MC252. You will really like that.
            As for discounts on new Mac's, I think up to 10% is what I've seen. I believe Mac holds it dealers pretty tightly, protecting the brand. Of course, if it's part of a larger purchase, or you trade stuff in, then a dealer can work with you.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

@dukester,

step by step make your system....and the Mc252 is a great "brick" :T

Enjoy it!

Style

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"