• Show
Clear All
  • ex_2009
    • Nov 2010

Need advice (help pls.......)

Hi I am new bee on all of this
    I just got B&W 683
    I am powering with B&K-st140 with Denon AVR-2801
    Seems this B&K starting having a problem (when turn on/off will make little thumb noise)
    I am planning to get rotel RB-985 MKII thx or Rotel RB-985 THX (by the way what is different between this two?)
    My budget is only around $400 - $550
    Mainly I played jazz and classic
    Pls let me know
    1. which power amp I should use (I am planning for HT 5.1 also). I am mainly playing at night (so I need very clear and deep bass at low volume and I heard rotel is not good for this purpose)
    2. Maybe in the future I will get also Surround Processor
    3. I knew there is a discussion about bi wiring or not, since I have bi wire cable should I use it or not?
    tks all
  • ex_2009
    • Nov 2010

Sorry one more question.
    Should I go with Rotel receiver instead of Power amp and Surround Processors?

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

In my experience most amps will make a noise when you power on (and off too sometimes). Don't assume that there is anything wrong with it if you hear a bit of a thump through the speakers. It may be that your new speakers are more sensitive than your previous ones (more sensitive speakers can also reveal background hiss, power line noise etc)

If you have a low budget i would be cautious about buying kit unless your current gear is actually broken. Better to wait and get gear equally suited to your nice speakers. I would imagine most here would suggest Rotel power amps as the natural match to these speakers. The benefit of the amp will tend to be at moderate to higher volumes however. I don't know if it is the tool to achieve the outcome you are looking for.

Your comment about full bass at low volume makes me think electrostatic speakers as an ideal solution (probably not a helpful comment - just an observation). What you have is fine however, the 683 has a reputation around here for more than adequate bass. Being a B&W is likes to play at higher volume, I don't think the amp will make that much difference for what you want. I have found that my Denon 4310 has a warmish sound however so using your Denon as a pre-amp is not a bad solution (assuming the same house sound). Your best bet is probably your sub as you can adjust the volume/placement independently, and the tone control on your Denon if you are really keen.

It does not hurt to use the biwire. i prefer it, some don't care for it. Its really a matter of trying it and making up you own mind.

Recent experience gives me one though. You most likely use a power strip of some description so you can plug all your gear into one wall socket. Some of these are truely awful and can result in a less full sound. If you can try a few different ones to make sure this is not happening to you. I use an expensive one and it would be silly of me to suggest you spend too much, but just be aware that a poor one can impact on your sound.

Room treatment can do alot for bass but again your comment about low volume makes that tricky as the interaction with the room will be more apparent at higher volumes. You may find it interesting to research about the benefits however, particularly the DIY options. Your room is an integral part of you system.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ex_2009
        Hi I am new bee on all of this
        I just got B&W 683
        I am powering with B&K-st140 with Denon AVR-2801
        Seems this B&K starting having a problem (when turn on/off will make little thumb noise)
        I am planning to get rotel RB-985 MKII thx or Rotel RB-985 THX (by the way what is different between this two?)
        My budget is only around $400 - $550
        Mainly I played jazz and classic
        Pls let me know
        1. which power amp I should use (I am planning for HT 5.1 also). I am mainly playing at night (so I need very clear and deep bass at low volume and I heard rotel is not good for this purpose)
        2. Maybe in the future I will get also Surround Processor
        3. I knew there is a discussion about bi wiring or not, since I have bi wire cable should I use it or not?
        tks all

ex_2009..
        First let me say I hope you are enjoying the speakers.I can tell you that the 683's never exibited this with the Rotel 1069 and Rotel RMB 1075 I was powering them with.

I can say this as I am the one who sold you the 683's.

That said ....I never heard the lack of bass with these speakers.If you search some threads here you will find that most feel the bass is rich and full.

When I listened to music I always ran the speakers full range with no sub as there is ample bass.With HT a sub is suggested.

I think you are expencing a new sound and are use to the speakers you have.I remember when I first got the 683's I was in awe of the sound but it just did not sound right as I was use to a different sound.

I have no experence with the RB 995 but at one time did the power the 683's with a RB 1080 which is 2X200 watts.The 683's are power hungry and love power.The more power the better.

The RMB 1075 I was using is 5X120.It was a very good match for the 683's and also gives the option of 5.1.It was truly a amazing sound for jazz and classical.

You have my number so feel free to call me at anytime if you just want to chat or have any questions.
        Enjoy
        Shaun...

Comment

• jpbas1
          • Jan 2009

My best friend had a similar setup.... He matched his 683's to an Outlaw 2150 integrated receiver and Rotel RCD 1072....

Butter... Lacked nothing. Beautiful.
          B&W 805D; Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditors; McIntosh MC 252; C-48; Audible Illusions Modulus 3; MCD 201; Wadia i170; MIT and Kimber cables.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"