X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Highroller
    • Jan 2010

802Di cable connects

Is it better to use banana or spade lugs for the cable connection to the 802di? If spade lug, what size is needed?

Thank you for your help
  • jpbas1
    • Jan 2009

I've always had good success with banana connects. Please let me know how the spades end up working out.
    B&W 805D; Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditors; McIntosh MC 252; C-48; Audible Illusions Modulus 3; MCD 201; Wadia i170; MIT and Kimber cables.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

I am using spades on the 800Diamonds, as I always do.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
        I am using spades on the 800Diamonds, as I always do.

Kal
        How do you get the spades to fit the post on the B&W speakers? I had a problem with the spades as they didn't fit, so I had to fit only one side into the hole used bare wire. I ended up making new wires using 10 guage and locking banana connectors.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by beden1
          How do you get the spades to fit the post on the B&W speakers? I had a problem with the spades as they didn't fit, so I had to fit only one side into the hole used bare wire. I ended up making new wires using 10 guage and locking banana connectors.
          ??? All they have to do is be the right size and the AQ cables I have fit just fine. Locking bananas are OK. I just don't care for the ones that rely on spring tension.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

I am using spades on the 800Diamonds, as I always do. Kal
            First impressions! :T
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• 1oldguy
              • Dec 2008

??? All they have to do is be the right size and the AQ cables I have fit just fine. Locking bananas are OK. I just don't care for the ones that rely on spring tension.
              HI...Could you tell me what size spade I would need for use with the 800D series?

Thanks.
              A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                HI...Could you tell me what size spade I would need for use with the 800D series?

Thanks.
                RTFM?

On page 7, it specifies 6mm and 8mm (1/4" and 5/16") spades along with the other options.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• 1oldguy
                  • Dec 2008

Thanks ;x(
                  A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

I had a WBT spade but for the B&W was to big.....(-> Beden1 the same problem ca.)

Change with a wbt bananas :T .....

the AQ cales have the "correct" dimension with spade but if you dont' like the AQ cables????

------------------------

but the direct connection from a cable will be better as bananas, spade & Co.
                    Or???

is not "top of design" but is the perfect transmission from the cables & the "gears"!!! bananas, spade is too a business!!

Comment

• aarsoe
                      • May 2004

Wbt spades do fit the wbt binding post's on the speakers, no matter what size they are. You just have to look a bit closer as there are two openings and only one of them will work. Made the same mistake first time, but keept looking as I knew it was supposed to work...

But otherwise I find spades to generally provide a better connection..

Comment

• aarsoe
                        • May 2004

Just to add some clarification. There are two holes on the WBT binding post's. The "first" one, and the one located the farthest away from the speaker is for bare speaker wire. The "second" one is located closest to the speaker cabinet and is a thin slot, so will easily be overlooked. WBT post's Will accept both small and large spades with extremely few execptions..

Oh - and I am not counting the one at the end for banana plugs..

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

sorry aarsoe,
                          but iwhit a wbt with a 10mm. (like a Wbt 0661/0881) in a speaker with a 6mm."commection I don't have a good connection.

and you try a Wbt banana Wbt 0610 with the new B&W spaeker.....
                          you have a "extra" plastic piece on the Wbt spade that make incompatible this
                          expenxice connectior with a great speaker.

and if you buy in a closed box you can have a bad surprise....

bare cables is not nice bt the connect is perfect.....
                          but I use a wtb banana 0610 without the extra piece of plastic.... :W

Comment

• Highroller
                            • Jan 2010

I have Mcintosh MC501s and 802Di's. On the MC501 there are two posts for 2 Ohm, 2 posts for 4 ohm and 2 posts for 8 ohm.

Can someone tell me the best way to connect this?

A cable I am considerinng has 4 14 gauge wires in it. I only have 6 feet between each Mc501 and 802Di. Would it be better to:

1) put a spade on each of the 4 wires and connect that way (with one cable)
                            or
                            2) would it be better to put a spade on a pair of wires (2 spades on each end of the cable) and use two cables to connect the 4 posts?

Thanks for your help

Comment

• htsteve
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Highroller,

I have 802D's and the MC402. I also had the MC252 before that. After testing the 8 ohm and 4 ohms connections, I have gone with the 4 ohm ones.

They performed a bit better in my set up (bass and dynamics).

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Highroller
                                • Jan 2010

Thanks Steve

Have you ever biwired? I talked to mcintosh and they had recommended biwiring....using 2ohm and 4 ohm

Comment

• htsteve
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Highroller,

Yes, I bi-wire my 802D's. My experience has been that it improves the performance enough to warrant the extra charge on the cables.

However, what you describe sounds like shotgunning. One set of speaker wires from the 4 ohm tap (likely to the Mid/Hi input) and a different set from the 2 Ohm tap, for bass. I've tried this before with bi-amping. It does yield some improvement, but the cost to do this has outwieghed the benefit to me. I have not tried this specific idea with my Macs though. Cost prohibitive. And the MC402 drives the 802D's pretty spectacularly now.

If you have the wiring to do it, it might be worth a try.

Hope this helps.
                                  Last edited by htsteve; 11 November 2010, 18:11 Thursday.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by htsteve
                                    Highroller,

I have 802D's and the MC402. I also had the MC252 before that. After testing the 8 ohm and 4 ohms connections, I have gone with the 4 ohm ones.

They performed a bit better in my set up (bass and dynamics).

Hope this helps.
                                    agreed. I ran the 4ohm taps on the MC303 with the 802D and, initially, with the 800Di but more testing is probable.
                                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"