DM601 s3's and Banana plugs...compatible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corysmith01
    • Feb 2005

DM601 s3's and Banana plugs...compatible?

I just ordered some terminated speaker wire today. I upped the gauge to go thicker than I'm currently running and thought "what the hey, banana connectors would be a nice touch." My instruction manual for the 601's says this:

"The terminals accept 6mm (1/4-in) spades, bared wire ends or round pins up to 6mm diameter and 4mm banana plugs. When using spades, fit them under the sliding collar."

However, I just got back from my local retailer, just poking around looking at stuff and was peeking at the back of my speakers on display at the store and it looked to me like they don't accept them. In the center of the brass (?) clamps, there's a red dot and a black dot and it doesn't appear that anything can be accepted there. Am I looking in the right place? I thought bananas plugged right into the back of the terminal, eliminating having to unscrew them like you would for normal bare wire applications. Can anyone elalborate on this a little. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question...I'm a newbie to B&W's. If they don't accept them, I wanna cancel my order.

Thanks.
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by corysmith01
    I just ordered some terminated speaker wire today. I upped the gauge to go thicker than I'm currently running and thought "what the hey, banana connectors would be a nice touch." My instruction manual for the 601's says this:

"The terminals accept 6mm (1/4-in) spades, bared wire ends or round pins up to 6mm diameter and 4mm banana plugs. When using spades, fit them under the sliding collar."

However, I just got back from my local retailer, just poking around looking at stuff and was peeking at the back of my speakers on display at the store and it looked to me like they don't accept them. In the center of the brass (?) clamps, there's a red dot and a black dot and it doesn't appear that anything can be accepted there. Am I looking in the right place? I thought bananas plugged right into the back of the terminal, eliminating having to unscrew them like you would for normal bare wire applications. Can anyone elalborate on this a little. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question...I'm a newbie to B&W's. If they don't accept them, I wanna cancel my order.

Thanks.
    Those dot's are removable.Basically if i remember unscrew the cap and remove the "dot".Remember their bi-wirable so you need to leave the bridges on and connect to the bottom connections.Thats unless you plan to bi-wire.Hope i got it somewhat right.

Comment

• corysmith01
      • Feb 2005

Thanks for the info. I actually unscrewed it all the way and tried. That "dot" doesn't seem to want to come out on it's own and I don't want to force it out for fear of "damaging" the speaker. I'm perplexed.

Comment

• corysmith01
        • Feb 2005

Scratch that. I actually went back and gave it one more try, but this time with a flashlight and they came right out, no problems. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• Kyle
          • Jan 2005

Ahh crap, the dots come out eh? I never tried that! I ended up getting spades!
          My gear

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"