X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pio
    • Nov 2005

802Di In "The Absolute Sound"

EDIT - I bought a copy of the mag on line - if you're interested in a pdf of the article, PM me your e mail

Was wondering if anyone had read the review, I always pick up the magazine at B&N - but they release the PDF two to three weeks before it makes it to the store.

Anyway - if you've got the digital copy, mind sharing some highlight?
    Last edited by Pio; 03 November 2010, 19:37 Wednesday.
    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list
  • Canuck525
    • Sep 2010

I don't know about the 802Di but I have had the 800Di for about 2 weeks now.Previously I had the 802D. To be honest I wasn't that crazy about the 802D( I even complained to B&W about them) and was about to jump ship and go to Wilson.Then my dealer offered me a deal I couldn't refuse and I'm glad I took it.The 800Di is simply a spectacular speaker, a speaker to be reckoned with. They just do So much right.They may look the same as the previous generation but they are simply a revolution in sound compared to the D models.....I think I will keep these for a long long time.....

Comment

• Mark_NZ
      • Apr 2007

Here are few soundbites from the review - do read full review for context:

"The 802D’s tweeter is spectacular by any measure."
      "The midrange was smooth, well integrated with the treble, and had much greater transparency than any previous B&W models."
      "The bass leaned toward the warm, full, and rich side rather than sounding overly controlled or pinched."
      "B&W’s new 802D sounds significantly better than any previous B&W loudspeaker I’ve heard, particularly in transparency, resolution, and the beautiful combination of treble ease with detail."

My one concern with the review is - given the reasonable assumption that no speaker is perfect - that it didn't highlight potential areas where the speaker is significantly bettered by competitive designs.

Comment

• jpbas1
        • Jan 2009

Hi everyone,

I just read the review last night via PDF. Great summary as previously mentioned above. Robert Harley did compare it to the Vandersteen 7's and noted the 802D2 did lack some attributes of that last speaker reviewed in his current listening position but mentioned that the Vandersteen's were also three times the price.

At 15K- the idea was that the bulid quality, transparency, and what you're receiving at itss price point are a true bargain in hi-fi.

Of note, I anxiously await the arrival of my 802Ds today.

-John
        B&W 805D; Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditors; McIntosh MC 252; C-48; Audible Illusions Modulus 3; MCD 201; Wadia i170; MIT and Kimber cables.

Comment

• Antonkk
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Canuck525
          I don't know about the 802Di but I have had the 800Di for about 2 weeks now.Previously I had the 802D. To be honest I wasn't that crazy about the 802D( I even complained to B&W about them) and was about to jump ship and go to Wilson.Then my dealer offered me a deal I couldn't refuse and I'm glad I took it.The 800Di is simply a spectacular speaker, a speaker to be reckoned with. They just do So much right.They may look the same as the previous generation but they are simply a revolution in sound compared to the D models.....I think I will keep these for a long long time.....

How do you compare 800Di with 802D in terms of needed power and space? Can you put them exactly in the same room and place as 802D? Or do they require the much bigger space and distance between them?

Comment

• Canuck525
            • Sep 2010

They are in the same room,same place and with the same electronics. I haven't even tried to tweek them yet.These speakers are in an entirely different league compared to the 802D. I could never go back...

Comment

• Pio
              • Nov 2005

They are in the same room,same place and with the same electronics. I haven't even tried to tweek them yet.These speakers are in an entirely different league compared to the 802D. I could never go back...
              Aren't the 800Di's like $10 or $12K more than the 802D? They're like 40% more expensive - It's That's like saying a ZR-1 is faster than Grand Sport Corvette - it's supposed to be...

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• ian1975
                • Apr 2009

Hi canuck525,

If you don't mind, what was the offer that you can't refuse, I consider upgrading my 802d to the 800di too?

thanks

Ian

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

It will be interesting to hear more. I have the 802Ds which will be moved aside for the 800Dis that are coming Friday.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Skyblue
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                    It will be interesting to hear more. I have the 802Ds which will be moved aside for the 800Dis that are coming Friday.
                    Are you done with the 802di's?
                    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                      Are you done with the 802di's?
                      Nope. Not had them yet.
                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Skyblue
                        • Jun 2009

Nope. Not had them yet.
                        Well, thought you got them for review. Didn't you write somewhere that they would be arriving within a couple of weeks? Anyway, I'm sure the 800's will be just fine
                        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Nope. Not had them yet.
                          That's a shame, as I would have liked to learn about your impressions of the new 802Di versus your 802Ds. Apples to apples comparison.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Nope. Not had them yet.
                            Any time soon? Please make a side by side comparison and let us know if it worth the upgrade!!
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Well, I had originally intended to do the 802Di first but it has not worked out that way. It is likely (but not assured) that we can do a side-by-side of the two 802 versions.
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Canuck525
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Pio
                                Aren't the 800Di's like $10 or $12K more than the 802D? They're like 40% more expensive - It's That's like saying a ZR-1 is faster than Grand Sport Corvette - it's supposed to be...

As a current owner of the 800Di and a former owner of the 802D I was simply offering an opinion only on the sound,period.
                                Put it this way, if you offered me the 802D plus 24 grand for my 800Di and said I had to keep the 802D for 5 years( and couldn't buy any other speaker) I would turn down the offer.
                                Last edited by Canuck525; 02 November 2010, 10:22 Tuesday.

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Put it this way, if you offered me the 802D plus 24 grand for my 800Di and said I had to keep the 802D for 5 years( and couldn't buy any other speaker) I would turn down the offer.
                                  What about the 802D plus 24 grand for your 800Di and you have to keep the 802D for 5 years AND you are given the opportunity to drink from the fountain of youth? Would you turn down that offer?

Nigel.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                    • Jun 2009

Well, I had originally intended to do the 802Di first but it has not worked out that way. It is likely (but not assured) that we can do a side-by-side of the two 802 versions.
                                    I'm sure we can find an upside to this unfortunate event

So, how long time does it take from you a set of speakers to the review is in my maibox? 6 months?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                      I'm sure we can find an upside to this unfortunate event

So, how long time does it take from you a set of speakers to the review is in my maibox? 6 months?
                                      Not so long. The latency from submission of the review to street appearance is about 2 months but the time it takes me to audition and review varies greatly. In this case, that time will be relatively brief because of editorial demands and because I am already very familiar with the speaker's predecessors and heritage.
                                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Canuck525
                                        • Sep 2010

If you have the disk try Mussorgsky's Pictures at an exhibition Jean Guillou
                                        Organ transcriptions, 1989
                                        Dorian / DOR-90117
                                        I found there was a significant difference in the rendition of this disc between the 802D and the 800Di both in spacial,top to bottom coherency and sheer scale.It was really quite dramatic on the 800Di( track 14,Baba Yaga. The Hut on Fowl's Legs).

Comment

• Pio
                                          • Nov 2005

As a current owner of the 800Di and a former owner of the 802D I was simply offering an opinion only on the sound,period..

And I greatly appreciate it - however, your comparing a speaker that costs $13k to one that is over $25K or more. If it doesn't sound significantly better, then something is significantly wrong.

Question : was something wrong with your 802's? Did you listen to them before you bought them? There must've been something you liked to make the purchase.

IMO for the money, the 802D is one hell of a speaker for the money - Again, in my opinion but I paid less than $11k for mine brand new.

Comment

• Canuck525
                                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Pio
                                            And I greatly appreciate it - however, your comparing a speaker that costs $13k to one that is over $25K or more. If it doesn't sound significantly better, then something is significantly wrong.

Question : was something wrong with your 802's? Did you listen to them before you bought them? There must've been something you liked to make the purchase.

IMO for the money, the 802D is one hell of a speaker for the money - Again, in my opinion but I paid less than $11k for mine brand new.
                                            I bought them blind and really was never satisfied with them.I purchased them new and nothing was wrong with them physically.They were pretty good but certainly didn't sound like a 14 K speaker to me.I found they sounded somewhat veiled, were a little disjointed in the upper bass/lower midrange region and flat out boomy in the bass region. The never wowed me. There one saving grace was all discs sounded not bad but nothing sounded spectacular.
                                            The 800Di is another story....

Comment

• Pio
                                              • Nov 2005

I found they sounded somewhat veiled, were a little disjointed in the upper bass/lower midrange region and flat out boomy in the bass region. The never wowed me. There one saving grace was all discs sounded not bad but nothing sounded spectacular.

Different strokes for different folks - I find the 802D to be the speaker to beat for under $15K - making a great recording sound phenomenal and a mediocre one listenable. I find their cohesiveness and soundstage exceptional without being cold and analytical. The bass is tuneful, deep and extended.

Again, very dependent on the recording - if done well - they shine - if its just OK, then they sound just ok. In my business I have to listen to a lot of recordings and mixes and use the 802's as a reference because of their revealing nature.

Haven't heard the 800Di yet, but it's on my "must listen list", I'm sure its a phenomenal speaker. Right now the only speakers I would trade up from my 802's to would be Wilson Watt 8 or the new Sasha's in the $25K range and the B&W Nautilus in the $40K range.

It's all a matter of taste but I would bet, with what you describe, something was wrong with the cross overs in the pair you had.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                • Jun 2005

who has or where is a pdf of the test?

Comment

• Mark_NZ
                                                  • Apr 2007

Hi Kal,

I am looking forward to your review of the 800Di, and hopefully the 802Di at a later date. My humble request is that the (major and minor) differences between the current and previous generation are described in detail. Also how the 800Di compares to competitive loudspeaker designs - both strengths and weaknesses, and in especially in terms of the midrange where B&W have stayed their non-rigid cone design in constrast to the competition.
                                                  And just to be transparent in terms of my agenda - I have always felt that a non-rigid midrange driver is not the ideal engineering solution, but I also have been amazed at the inherent quality of the 803D midrange as my front-end gear quality improves.

Thanks
                                                  Mark

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mark_NZ
                                                    Hi Kal,

I am looking forward to your review of the 800Di, and hopefully the 802Di at a later date. My humble request is that the (major and minor) differences between the current and previous generation are described in detail. Also how the 800Di compares to competitive loudspeaker designs - both strengths and weaknesses, and in especially in terms of the midrange where B&W have stayed their non-rigid cone design in constrast to the competition.
                                                    And just to be transparent in terms of my agenda - I have always felt that a non-rigid midrange driver is not the ideal engineering solution, but I also have been amazed at the inherent quality of the 803D midrange as my front-end gear quality improves.

Thanks
                                                    Mark
                                                    I will do my best. I am neither a fan nor a critic of their midrange philosophy since one can see both sides of the story.
                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                    _______________________________
                                                    "Music in the Round"
                                                    Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

I will do my best.
                                                      Thank you master ;x(
                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Canuck525
                                                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Pio
                                                        Different strokes for different folks - I find the 802D to be the speaker to beat for under $15K - making a great recording sound phenomenal and a mediocre one listenable. I find their cohesiveness and soundstage exceptional without being cold and analytical. The bass is tuneful, deep and extended.

Again, very dependent on the recording - if done well - they shine - if its just OK, then they sound just ok. In my business I have to listen to a lot of recordings and mixes and use the 802's as a reference because of their revealing nature.

Haven't heard the 800Di yet, but it's on my "must listen list", I'm sure its a phenomenal speaker. Right now the only speakers I would trade up from my 802's to would be Wilson Watt 8 or the new Sasha's in the $25K range and the B&W Nautilus in the $40K range.

It's all a matter of taste but I would bet, with what you describe, something was wrong with the cross overs in the pair you had.

I've heard a couple other pairs and they all basically sounded the same. Also I recently saw the plot for the frequency response and it pretty much sounds like it looks to me.There is an emphasis on bass and a suck out in the midrange. Then again a lot of people like that type of sound but personally I like something a little more accurate( but a lot of people don't)As you said; different strokes for different folks....

Comment

• Mark_NZ
                                                          • Apr 2007

I will do my best. I am neither a fan nor a critic of their midrange philosophy since one can see both sides of the story.
                                                          Thank you Kal - I appreciate your consideration. :T
                                                          Also agree with you that there are two sides to their midrange philosophy - there are also good engineering reasons for the design given their self-imposed constraint of limiting the speaker to a 3 way as opposed to a 4 way driver design.

Comment

• Freddie40
                                                            • Jun 2009

Here's the conclusion from the absolute sound article

ConCLusion
                                                            B&W’s new 802D sounds significantly better than any previous B&W loudspeaker I’ve heard, particularly in transparency, resolution, and the beautiful combination of treble ease with detail. This isn’t a slight improvement over previous designs, but a major step up.
                                                            Even in today’s highly competitive loudspeaker market, the 802D stands out for its sound quality and exceptional value. It delivers many of the qualities we associate with esoteric designs from small, tweaky manufacturers, but in a relatively mainstream product. In addition, the build and finish quality are exemplary, and far nicer than you find in similarly priced products from companies who lack the economy-of- scale manufacturing enjoyed by B&W. Make no mistake; this is a lot of speaker for the money.
                                                            If you’re in the market for a loudspeaker anywhere near this price range, you must audition the B&W 802D. I think that you’ll be pleasantly surprised by just how much performance your loudspeaker dollar will buy.
                                                            Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• Pio
                                                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Freddie40
                                                              ConCLusion
                                                              B&W’s new 802D sounds significantly better than any previous B&W loudspeaker I’ve heard, particularly in transparency, resolution, and the beautiful combination of treble ease with detail. This isn’t a slight improvement over previous designs, but a major step up.
                                                              Even in today’s highly competitive loudspeaker market, the 802D stands out for its sound quality and exceptional value. It delivers many of the qualities we associate with esoteric designs from small, tweaky manufacturers, but in a relatively mainstream product. In addition, the build and finish quality are exemplary, and far nicer than you find in similarly priced products from companies who lack the economy-of- scale manufacturing enjoyed by B&W. Make no mistake; this is a lot of speaker for the money.
                                                              If you’re in the market for a loudspeaker anywhere near this price range, you must audition the B&W 802D. I think that you’ll be pleasantly surprised by just how much performance your loudspeaker dollar will buy.

One important thing Harley briefly mentions in the article is that he has a new room (actually I think he bought a new home) where he listens / reviews products. Wonder how much of a difference that makes when comparing. If he can hear the difference in cables (is that a blessing or a curse?) - I'm sure a different room would be enormous.

Anyone interested in a pdf of the article, send me a PM.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                • Jun 2009

I've auditioned the new 802s vs. the new 800's for a couple of fridays in a row, and the 800's definately are better speakers...

I heard the 802's today, and that was a mixed experience. First with an integrated classe, then biamped and eventually with a couple of cable switches it actuallt ended up sounding good. Morale: Getting good gear behind your speaker is essential.

Comment

• Pio
                                                                  • Nov 2005

Gents, PDFs sent

wettou - whats your email? Not listed on your profile.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2008

Thx again, Pio.

B&W Group has now published this article on their website: http://www.bwgroupusa.com/soundbytes...oundReview.pdf

-H
                                                                    Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                                                    Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                                                    B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                                                    Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                                                    Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"