X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • js24
    • Feb 2005

802D review will be in Stereophile-Soon

Kal Rubinson acknowledged that he is auditioning a pair of 802D for a review right NOW
    I guess it'll be out in a couple of months..

it'll be a very interesting bathroom reading :B

look for the posts dated on April 20th
    Last edited by js24; 21 April 2005, 13:34 Thursday. Reason: typo
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

Thanks for the post. Will be an interesting read, for sure. Especially interested to hear the differences between the 802D and his Revel Studios. Hopefully, it'll be out soon.

Question: Why is it that none of the magazine reviewers use B&W speakers in their reference systems? E.g., Kal using the Revels. Widescreen Review shows it's reference systems in the beginning pages of the magazine --- again no B&Ws. Many others. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Comment

• greggz
      • Jun 2002

My first guess would be that B&W doesnt cut them a good deal. :W I've seen a quite a few reviews of the 801's and 800's end with "...boy I really wish I could have kept the sample pair." Magazine journalist are no different than any other working stiff. Dropping $10,000 to $20,000 on a pair of speakers ain't pocket change.

Kal actually reviewed the Sig800s against his Revel's back in 2002. Though he described the Sig800's as a "better" choice for him as a reviewer (due to revealing transparencey, tonal-neutrality, and huge dynamic range) in the end he still preferred the warmth of the Revels. I think that really hits the nail on the head. Some want the most accurate reproduction possible and some want a speaker who's character matches how they like to hear music reproduced.

One last observation. Though B&W speakers may not be that prevalent among reviewers, my non-scientific observation is that B&W speakers seem to be quite popular among professional classical musicians.
      Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by EAmin
        Question: Why is it that none of the magazine reviewers use B&W speakers in their reference systems? ... Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.
        Actually, magazine reviewers do use B&W reference systems. Sound and Vision published an article in July 1999 about their new ($100,000) reference system that was using B&W's recently released Nautilus 800 series speakers. It included 2x803's (L/R), an HTM1 (C), 2x805's (LB/RB stand mounted) and an ASW3000 (LFE). They choose these speakers because of their impressive abilities when used with two-channel and multi-channel sources.

I recently ran across this article and just a few days after I bought my system, which is very similar. Needless to say, I was pretty happy to see that "my" speakers were used as the standard by which others would be judged. 8)
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"