X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xavier
    • May 2007

Upgrade from HTM4s to HTM4Di

Following a recent audition of the 805Di and knowing the previous 805s very well, I started wondering the benefits coming from upgrading my HTM4s to a HTM4Di. I found the 805Di a much more transparent speaker with a superb mid range as well as a huge stage. I've always wanted to have a better central speaker to match my 802D but speaker size is an issue and therefore I've never went for the HTM3S or even HTM2D.

I see the HTM4Di as an opportunity to have a Diamond Tweeter Center speaker without increasing its size but I was wondering if it would match sonically my existing 802D (not the Diamonds).

Does anyone have experience to share?
    System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Xavier
    Following a recent audition of the 805Di and knowing the previous 805s very well, I started wondering the benefits coming from upgrading my HTM4s to a HTM4Di. I found the 805Di a much more transparent speaker with a superb mid range as well as a huge stage. I've always wanted to have a better central speaker to match my 802D but speaker size is an issue and therefore I've never went for the HTM3S or even HTM2D.

I see the HTM4Di as an opportunity to have a Diamond Tweeter Center speaker without increasing its size but I was wondering if it would match sonically my existing 802D (not the Diamonds).

Does anyone have experience to share?
    I'm not sure anyone can answer this question for you. It would come down to how you personally perceived the benefit of adding an 804Di to use as a center channel speaker or not, and how it would actually sound in your room.

I recently purchased the 804Di speakers and am very pleased with their performance. But, I would think that their character would differ from your 802Ds, and may possibly be more lively/clearer than your main L/R speakers. This may end up being a good thing, or?

You may be better off finding a used HTM1D to match your front speakers, but you did say that space may be a limitation.

Possibly, your best bet would be to have no center channel speaker and use your 802Ds to handle the phantom center channel duties. I think this would certainly be better than using the center speaker you show in your picture.

Comment

• Xavier
      • May 2007

Originally posted by beden1
      Possibly, your best bet would be to have no center channel speaker and use your 802Ds to handle the phantom center channel duties. I think this would certainly be better than using the center speaker you show in your picture.
      Thanks for your thoughts. I have considered the no-center-speaker-option too, but was still trying to find a way to keep it. Currently there are no HTM4Di available in Lisbon. B&W Portuguese representation is now done from Spain and stocks are few if not none. I need to get my hands on one and test it in my room.
      System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Xavier
        Thanks for your thoughts. I have considered the no-center-speaker-option too, but was still trying to find a way to keep it. Currently there are no HTM4Di available in Lisbon. B&W Portuguese representation is now done from Spain and stocks are few if not none. I need to get my hands on one and test it in my room.
        Have you tried placing your 802Ds a bit closer together to help as a phantom center?

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I think for movies it would have limited benefit.... For multichannel music I would think it would be an improvement, but worth the cost I'm not sure..
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

You might see a slight improvement with a HTM4Di but if you can get the HTM2di it would be much better. If I were you I would go without a center all together.
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• Pato
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by beden1
              (...)You may be better off finding a used HTM1D to match your front speakers, but you did say that space may be a limitation.

Originally posted by stuofsci02
              I think for movies it would have limited benefit.... For multichannel music I would think it would be an improvement, but worth the cost I'm not sure..
              Originally posted by dan87951
              You might see a slight improvement with a HTM4Di but if you can get the HTM2di it would be much better. If I were you I would go without a center all together.
              Told ya... 8)
              Lyngdorf CD1 - NAD S300 - B&W 802D

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"