X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swayback
    • Feb 2010

Cabling for 804Di

Ok, just bought 804Di and HTM4di along with Integra DTA-70.1 amp and DHC 80.1 preamp.
    I'd like to know what the opinions are regarding cables. You can shell out some big bucks for, what I believe, is a bunch of bunk. I'm a best-bang-for-my-buck-kind-of-guy. What are the best cables for the money? I've read great reviews on River Cables. My audio guy wants to use Monster Cable. For the price, I think transparent cables are overpriced.
    Any opinions are appreciated
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

In my opinion use an appropriate size gauge (12 or 14 depending on length) and you'll be fine. Many will disagree however.

I am using Chord Carnival Silver Screen with my 804s mainly because it looks nice and lays nice and flat. It was about $4/ft, so it definately doesn't break the bank. Does it sound better? IMO ... No
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Xavier
      • May 2007

I'm currently using Audioquest Midnight 3 but this is a discontinued cable. I was told about the excellent synergy of this cable with Classé and B&W and managed to put my hands into 10 meters lost in a local dealers warehouse. I'm running it bi-cabling. It is a very neutral cable with very fast low frequencies. I wouldn't change it for anything else.
      System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

swayback,

The forum sponsor also makes very nice cables. There is a Cat Cables link at the bottom of the page. They make good performing cables for the money.

In my experience, these are good bang for the buck cables.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Xavier
          I'm currently using Audioquest Midnight 3 but this is a discontinued cable. I was told about the excellent synergy of this cable with Classé and B&W and managed to put my hands into 10 meters lost in a local dealers warehouse. I'm running it bi-cabling. It is a very neutral cable with very fast low frequencies. I wouldn't change it for anything else.
          Mogami, Canaree, and Belden all used by recording studios... all great cables just like CAT cables :B
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• swayback
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
            In my opinion use an appropriate size gauge (12 or 14 depending on length) and you'll be fine. Many will disagree however.

I am using Chord Carnival Silver Screen with my 804s mainly because it looks nice and lays nice and flat. It was about $4/ft, so it definately doesn't break the bank. Does it sound better? IMO ... No
            When you say "does it sound better? IMO...no"

Do you mean that it that it sounds as good as anything else or it doesn't sound as good as others?

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by swayback
              When you say "does it sound better? IMO...no"

Do you mean that it that it sounds as good as anything else or it doesn't sound as good as others?
              I did not notice any sonic difference between the Chord and no name cheap stuff (same gauge) I had previosly been using.
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pio
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by swayback
                Ok, just bought 804Di and HTM4di along with Integra DTA-70.1 amp and DHC 80.1 preamp.
                I'd like to know what the opinions are regarding cables. You can shell out some big bucks for, what I believe, is a bunch of bunk. I'm a best-bang-for-my-buck-kind-of-guy. What are the best cables for the money? I've read great reviews on River Cables. My audio guy wants to use Monster Cable. For the price, I think transparent cables are overpriced.
                Any opinions are appreciated
                Use the thickest cables you can get, you can buy a roll of 12 AWG on partsexpress.com that sells for around $70. That's what I use and I terminated them with Monster banana plugs. Looks pro and works awesome!

The only difference you will ever hear with cable is if its defective or if your using 18 AWG for a very long run. There's lots of debate on whether cable makes a difference in making gear sound better. I've never been able to hear it.
                Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"