X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

Difference of opinion on B&W 802 (D)

Hmm i read a lot on the web at the moment regarding the 802D's. It seems there is a big difference of opinion. Some people thinks its the best speaker you can get, or even for the money, while others think it basically stinks.

How come there is such a big difference of opinion? What is your experience?
    Last edited by Skyblue; 22 September 2010, 08:22 Wednesday. Reason: Spelling error in title
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

For $15k a pair there are better cost to performance ratios out there no doubt!! The reason there is so much difference of opinion is everyone is different and not everyone likes the same things. I happen to be a fan of them! They seem to be a good all rounder.
    dan87951
    audio guru

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by dan87951
      For $15k a pair there are better cost to performance ratios out there no doubt!!
      cost/performance ratio will likely go to a very inexpensive set of speakers. It is amazing what you can get for $250, and really amazing that a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $1,000 speaker and a $10,000 speaker.
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• specialized
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Skyblue
        Hmm i read a lot on the web at the moment regarding the 802D's. It seems there is a big difference of opinion. Some people thinks its the best speaker you can get, or even for the money, while others think it basically stinks.

How come there is such a big difference of opinion? What is your experience?

I think another big difference in opinion is wrong room size.. There is peoples who buy something based on reviews and to impress someone but not right for real conditions.. If u buy 802D and u put close to the walls in 15 square meter room, and without acoustic treating , YES, they would sound very bad.. I had a chance to listen McIntosh MC1201 with B&W 800 in 12-15 square meters room, and yes.. it was sounding totaly bad.. My 803S in my room sound better then that. So i guess some of the negative reviews are based on that.. When i was buying my speakers i decide to buy the best pair of speakers that i had a chance to try it in my room. Also i started thinking still to get 802D and i have a few e-mails with B&W , and got very honest answer.. It was like with my room size maybe it's better to continue enjoying my 803s...

Darko

Comment

• Skyblue
          • Jun 2009

Roomsize and other things are a good explanation. I have ordered the 802's but considered the 800's. I mostly didnt order them because of room size and the wife disagreed with the foot. Tempted to throw out the wife, but..

Anyway, when I look on the web, I see many 800s in rooms the size of which you said was too smal for 802s. So apparently not very many people have large rooms available. Not even at the dealers...
          B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Pio
            • Nov 2005

Different strokes for different folks! Try telling someone who is a fan of Wilson Audio that you prefer your B&W's sound.
            I recently had that experience and it got heated, (LOL over speakers!!) It got even worse when I couldn't hear a huge difference between the Watt / Puppy 8 and the new Sasha. I thought both were very good and maybe slightly over-priced. Not welcome in my buddies house anymore... 8O

Don't believe everything you read on the web, use your ears and determine for yourself. There's a lot of marketing out there and many people just fall for ad claims. Get the "best" speakers in the world, put them in a square shaped room with lots of glass, concrete walls and tile floor and I can pretty much guarantee that the you would prefer the sound of the headphones that came with your iPod.
            Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by stuofsci02
              cost/performance ratio will likely go to a very inexpensive set of speakers. It is amazing what you can get for $250, and really amazing that a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $1,000 speaker and a $10,000 speaker.
              Sounds like my wife! :E

Comment

• KyaDawn
                • Mar 2008

If we're talking about 802Ds and not 802Di (haven't heard them yet), I think they're fantastic! Of course that's why I bought them. Whether they are the best speaker you can get is debatable, but they certainly don't stink. In their price-range, I certainly think they are the "best speaker" but of course, it's all personal preference.

Comment

• rolski
                  • Feb 2005

I was very happy with my 802D's (which replaced N803's) for several years - to my mind they blew all of the competition that I'd heard out of the water.

However, there are caveats - the bass can be overwhelming in a small-ish room such as I have unless you use treatments & room correction to reduce the peaks. Also, they are really directional - the sweet spot is actually very small indeed both horizontally & vertically. This is often something that people criticise along with the the diamond tweeter and the driver / crossover matching.
                  Again, it's very room-dependant as my room's quite well damped at higher frequencies so I personally don't think the tweeters are harsh - but in some demo rooms they have definitely sounded different to me.
                  The biggest "problem" IMO is the bass to mid balance - there's a small hole or dip in the matching which you often read about & can clearly see in the measurements that are often posted / quoted. However, again, I didn't really realise this existed until I heard some speakers that "filled in the gaps".

There are pros & cons with everything - the room has a massive effect on the sound waves that your speakers produce and the actual financial investment that you've made also has a large psychological effect on what you think you're hearing ! Most people who actually buy 802D-sized speakers for their totally inappropriate rooms are completely mad - and I include myself in that category.

I haven't heard the 802Di's yet although I've actually paid for the upgrade, but sadly, as you may have read in other threads, the service & professionalism that B&W have recently displayed has driven me to consider dropping my 7.1 B&W system completely - which is why I've been testing Meridian DSP (active) speakers which IMO during a demo were significantly better - the final decision will rest on a home demo.

In summary, I've also been astonished about some of the real bashing people have given the 802D but now I've heard what they mean. They're truly great transducers, they do have limitations - but it's all about enjoying the music - so it doesn't hurt to give them a try !

Comment

• Skyblue
                    • Jun 2009

Does anybody know if the 800's have that dip?

Comment

• aarsoe
                      • May 2004

I have my set Of 802D and I love them, even if they do have issues with my room acustics. However if I were to pick one thing to complain about more than anything else, then that would be that they are very reveling in their nature. So any modern pop created and adjusted for car Audio or Ipods sounds pretty horrible.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

My 802D's sound significantly better being driven by high-current amplification as well as by giving energies to acoustic room treatments (such as the green curtains on the right with acoustic lining + laminated glass window behind curtains on the left - I have no bass traps and have done nothing to the ceiling, so there is always room for improvement).

Attached Files

Comment

• Pio
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Skyblue
                          Does anybody know if the 800's have that dip?
                          I tuned my room with an XTZ room analyzer and, at least in my room, I dont have a dip in the mid bass frequencies. My issue was with deep bass, but it wasn't the speaker it was the room...
                          Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                            My 802D's sound significantly better being driven by high-current amplification as well as by giving energies to acoustic room treatments (such as the green curtains on the right with acoustic lining + laminated glass window behind curtains on the left - I have no bass traps and have done nothing to the ceiling, so there is always room for improvement).

Real nice looking system, and I'm sure it sounds great! :T

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

My 802D's sound significantly better being driven by high-current amplification as well as by giving energies to acoustic room treatments (such as the green curtains on the right with acoustic lining + laminated glass window behind curtains on the left - I have no bass traps and have done nothing to the ceiling, so there is always room for improvement)
                              :T Cool I also have three 802D in the front :B What do you have in the back?
                              Also what kind of amps do you have.

On an other subject: I should have bought the Pioneer Elite Signature Kuro PRO-141FD, now I am waiting for the OELD to arrive soon I hope

Right now LG's 15-inch OLED TV is the cheapest you can get -- but at about $2,500 it won't be rocking too many peoples' lives. We've heard promises of dropping costs thanks to printed displays for ages now, but never on a scale like this. DuPont has teamed up with Dainippon Screen to create a printing technique capable of line-feeding a 50-inch display in just two minutes. Two minutes! The printer is likened to a high precision garden hose, flying over the display surface at a speed of five meters per second depositing that good, good OLED juice in just the right places with nary a drip or an unwanted sprinkle. DuPont Displays President William Feehery says the technique "is worth scaling up" and could compete on cost with LCDs while delivering a 15-year lifespan. That's not quite the 100 years they promised us last time, but we'll take it. No word on when, or if, this technique will actually be deployed en masse.
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

I bet 4-5 years before it's affordable!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                  Real nice looking system, and I'm sure it sounds great! :T
                                  Thank you, Beden1. I have not tackled things quite in perfect logical order. Only recently have I focused on acoustic room improvements (and I can vouch that imho these improvements have not been insignificant in effect). It's been a fun journey though.

Originally posted by wettou
                                  :T Cool I also have three 802D in the front :B What do you have in the back?
                                  Also what kind of amps do you have. ...
                                  Thanks, Wettou. Imho your front end is complete. It's not easy ... but try not to let yourself be tempted to change it (unless you really want to, of course). Have you treated your room acoustically?

If you click on my profile, my full system description is listed.

On the other subject, I am eyeing the Samsung 63" plasma.

Comment

• JesperA
                                    • Jul 2009

Is that a Krell 403e? How does Krell in general work with B&W speakers?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JesperA
                                      Is that a Krell 403e? How does Krell in general work with B&W speakers?
                                      Yes, it's an Evo 403e. I'm extremely satisfied with the control that the 403e exercises over the 802D's. The 403e creates no audio footprint. Sound is effortless, limitless and complete. Bass is deep and controlled with no muddiness. It betters the KAV series in spades (driving the 802D's). All in my humble opinion of course.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"