X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dukester
    • Sep 2010

HTM2 upgrade worth it?

Currently using a HTM61 paired with 803Ds. Would upgrading to the HTM2 make a significant difference? Is it worth the $4k premium?
    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3
  • rolski
    • Feb 2005

I performed the same upgrade several years ago : in terms of sound quality it's a no-brainer as you'll then have matching tweeter & mid (not sure about the woofers but they're probably the same too) which gives you seamless voicing.

With regards to whether it's worth the money, well, only you can decide that !

Comment

• dukester
      • Sep 2010

The 683's seemed very boxy to me; sort of feel the same about the HTM61. Since i haven't demo'd one yet, did the HTM2 'open up' more in comparison? Is $3k (new) for the HTM2 too good a deal to pass up?
      McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I totally agree with rolski.

Also, I assume you mean the HTM2D. For $3k, I would jump all over it. I believe the list price is $4500.

The HTM2D will match the 803D's very, very well.

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

I know when I went from the HTM61 to the HTM3S the difference was larger than going from 683 to 804S. The sound of the 800 series center channel is worth it more than the front mains IMO, lol. My first impression of the 800 series center channel coming from the 600 series was the airiness and detail (biggest difference to my ears).

Comment

• dukester
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by emig5m
            I know when I went from the HTM61 to the HTM3S the difference was larger than going from 683 to 804S. The sound of the 800 series center channel is worth it more than the front mains IMO, lol. My first impression of the 800 series center channel coming from the 600 series was the airiness and detail (biggest difference to my ears).
            Definitely noticed the 'airiness and detail' in the 803Ds...i can't wait to audition the HTM2D after reading of your upgrade experience with the ctr ch. Thx.

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

I upgraded my HTM61 to an HTM4s with my 804s and that was a monsterous improvement. So the HTM2D should be spectacular.

The HTM61 is not in my opinion a great center match to even the 600 series. I found the 683 an excellent speaker for the price, and I still have fond memories of them. The HTM61 I never think about....
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• dukester
                • Sep 2010

SOLD! ...i ordered it today...thx to all for your input...made it a whole lot easier to spend gobs of cash. 8) But seriously, all the input invaluable with investments like these...thx.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

dukester,

Excellent. That center is WAY better.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"