Joke of the day $499 for ethernet cable

I'm still laughing... :B

Denon Improved Sound Cable
    dan87951
    audio guru
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

lol
    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Dontcha know, that snake oil they use is expensive stuff, but it really makes the cable sound better! :B

I tried one of these cables between my router and PC and it makes the internet clearer too! YouTube videos look like HD now! Streamed MP3s take on a new dimension! You thought it was compression artifacts causing your MP3s to sound bad? No, it's those cheapo ethernet cables everyone uses! :lol:

Comment

• dan87951
        • Nov 2005

lol no doubt!

What Denon is doing is just plain insulting.. but I guess theres a sucker born everyday.. right?
        dan87951
        audio guru

Comment

• vn1
          • May 2009

Don't you know "slumdog millionaires" in Asia have been increased lately?
          Last edited by vn1; 16 August 2010, 17:07 Monday.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I had printed that page a few years ago and posted it on one of the department head's office door. (He orders all the materials and such). He still has it up on his door. lol
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Space
              • Aug 2009

This item has become an even bigger joke on Amazon, see this!

The used version is much more expensive because it's already broken in. Someone changed the image, which is a little confusing. Scroll through some of these comments!

Comment

• Opus007
                • Nov 2007

I just love this quote from a seller of one of the cables for 999.00 dollars on Amazon>

"I bought one, and then upgraded it by wraping the whole cable in platnum foil. In fact I used the excess foil to make this nifty listening hat that also improves sound quality. Hat is optional"

Got to love it.

Comment

• DeepEndX
                  • Feb 2005

Wow....... Talking about suckers....

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

It's the only redeeming value of idiots. It's usually easy to get them separated from their money. :B

Comment

• Freek
                      • Mar 2008

how many of you paid more then 100$ for a digital cable?
                      nobody was laughing that you did not use a standard RG58 coax cable used by novell networks and it costs around 2$.
                      i don't use denon link or know exactly how it works. i don't own any denon stuff, but this is not ethernet that denon is using. its just the same connector as far as i can see.
                      ethernet doesn't need expensive cables because of the protocol, not because of the quality...
                      do you use the same speaker cable to your 802D with banana plugs used for fluke digital meters. they look the same. the have the same connector. but they cost less then 10$.

maybe i am wrong, but i just don't see why this cable is different from a digital cardas or audioquest cable bought by many for >>100$

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Freek
                        maybe i am wrong, but i just don't see why this cable is different from a digital cardas or audioquest cable bought by many for >>100$
                        The difference is close to $400.

I've paid $100+ for a silver digital cable, that was hand built with high-quality gold-plated RCA connectors, but I've never paid $500 for a cable with 4 twisted copper pairs and regular plastic RJ45 connectors on each end.

It may not be the ethernet protocol that Denon is using, but that cable sure looks like a standard Cat5/5e/6 ethernet cable. Zoom in on the photo and look at the connector. You can see the colors of the wires, and they have the same colors as a normal Cat5 cable. The pinout is the same as an ethernet cable as well: orange-white, orange, white-green, blue, white-blue, green, white-brown, brown.

Here's the PDF: http://www.usa.denon.com/AK-DL1Lit.pdf

The only difference I can see is that the cable is shielded, and it has higher grade components than a typical ethernet cable. It doesn't look like $500 worth of higher grade though.

I suppose the crucial test is for someone to try this cable with their Denon Link components, and compare it to a regular old $5 ethernet cable and see if there is a difference in performance or sound quality. I'm guessing that the result will be one of these three things:

1) there is no difference in sound quality.
                        2) There is a difference but not $500 worth of difference
                        3) The ethernet cable doesn't work at all because Denon made the pinout different.

Even in the case of #3, if the pinout is known, anyone can buy a crimper at Lowes, a box of RJ-45 connectors, a spool of Cat5 and make a few hundred of them for less than the price of one Denon cable.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007

The pinout is the same for Denon Link as it is for a standard Ethernet patch cable. I've used the cable that came with an older Denon DVD player, which was meant for Denon Link, for a patch cable while troubleshooting a customers system and it worked fine.

I'm a big proponent of good cables but even I have a hard time with this thing.

Eric

Comment

• KRC
                            • Aug 2004

After looking at the PDF file, the outer woven jacket looks like something that Audioquest would be selling. Put silver inside and add some battery packs and you have a made in the USA $500.00 cable.

Kevin

Comment

• srb
                              • Oct 2004

What makes it particularly disturbing is that it is not a product from an "audiophile" cable maker, but from DENON, who has enormous design and manufacturing resources, and is able to produce an entire decent Receiver for $500.

Of course, to those that truly believe, it is no joke.

Steve

Comment

• Kevin P
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by srb
                                What makes it particularly disturbing is that it is not a product from an "audiophile" cable maker, but from DENON, who has enormous design and manufacturing resources, and is able to produce an entire decent Receiver for $500.
                                Now you know how they can afford to produce decent receivers and sell them for $500!

They make up for the loss by selling $500 ethernet cables! :B

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                  • Sep 2009

Yes, denon link uses your standard ethernet protocols and yes, that's essentially a "cat5" cable they're selling.

<Cable link Deleted by Admin.>
                                  ^Oh hi there nameless Administrator. I won't link, but I will again say that spending more than 10 dollars on a digital cable (unless it's long or of a rare variety) is silly.

Good day. ♥

ps: Not trying to troll, just trying to help. Money should be spent on buying CDs, not wasted on "gold plated toslinks".
                                  pps: Yeah, I'm done / dropping the subject now. I faintly remember there being a "no cable discussion" rule on the site somewhere.
                                  Last edited by numberoneoppa; 28 August 2010, 17:32 Saturday.
                                  -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Alaric
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Yeeaaahhhhh. You're gonna want to research cable posts here before you recommend a cable manufacturer. Just sayin'. I don't see a problem with ethernet cables , per se , but generalizations about cheap stuff being as good as good stuff , can lead to issues.
                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                    Marantz CD5005
                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Alaric
                                      Yeeaaahhhhh. You're gonna want to research cable posts here before you recommend a cable manufacturer. Just sayin'. I don't see a problem with ethernet cables , per se , but generalizations about cheap stuff being as good as good stuff , can lead to issues.
                                      I think a good link to a page of IEEE standards could alleviate so many of the cable arguments/issues around here.

Not saying I don't have a pair of silver braid interconnects, but hey, analogue is another beast completely. I wish I had the money for some MIT interconnects.
                                      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Stoney
                                        • Dec 2004

I couldn't help but notice this statement:
                                        "Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal transfer."
                                        Are they talking about the bi-directional arrows on the one end and are they claiming that marking the cable improves signal transfer? 8O
                                        Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                                        Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                                        B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                                        DM602 S2 Surrounds
                                        DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                                        CC6 S2 Center.
                                        ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• dan87951
                                          • Nov 2005

I bought my digital cable at wal-mart. Its a simple digital signal high and low thats all it does. They all work the same!
                                          dan87951
                                          audio guru

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"