CP 800 no ethernet?! Use logitech squeezebox touch!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

CP 800 no ethernet?! Use logitech squeezebox touch!

Dear (CP 800) Friends,

A long time we are waiting for the ethernet streaming card from Classe. Whatever it exactly it brings us, how it works .... we still dont know.
    Iám busy with streaming: all CD's + flac downloads on a NAS and to play this over the stereo. I used Win 7 laptop over usb to cp 800. This works fine.
    Nevertheless: it not so comfortable, has no ipad app, makes some noise.
    So this weekend I bought the Logitech squeezebox touch.
    I upgraded the software to Ehanced Digital Output: meaning it does asynchronous usb. ! (details see other logitech forum).
    Note : this beauty costs less than 200 euro. (projected classe ethernet card) 500 e).

This evening i made direct direct A/B comparision on my CP 800, CA2300, 802 Di between:

1. Logitech touch, fed from Nas over ethernet cable, usb out, furutech usb cable to CP 800.

2. Classe CP 100 used as transport, van den Hul dig coax to CP 800.

So with 16/44 material; logitech supports higher but of course CP 100 does not.

Nice to make direct A to B input comparisons!

Result: NO difference!.

So for me this end of the story for expensive CD players, transports etc. I cannot hear difference with a 200e Logitech transport.
    Plus I have the comfort of touch screen browsing at the logitech itself or with ipad on sofa through my entire music collection.
    (For those not blessed with DA converter .... it has analogue outputs also, but didnot check those, actually I switched them off in software menu).

Just wanted to inform you. Thinking ... if you can buy a cp 800 ... 200e for a Logitech touch should no problem .
    For me this a bit world changing... acces to your music collection from sofa.

Hope this made you happy!
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I am not surprised that they all sound the same as you are in all instances using the DA conversion of the CP-800. That is not the same as everything sounding the same.
    As long as you are happy then things are great, but remember that as long as we are talking digital conversion there will be improvements in chips over time, That much is guaranteed. 16/24/32 bit today. 2048 bits in the future.. :-)

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Yes,

The Squeezebox touch is bit perfect output and does extremely well with a good DAC. In fact, even the analog outputs are not horrible. I think they are at least on pace with a $500 cd player.

But.... Here is the bad news.. Logitech just announced that it will stop production of the squeezebox lineup. So, for those who don't have one, snap one up while you can.
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• gerardhn
        • Jun 2005

aarsoe: I dont see the point of your 2 sentences. Digital feed "A" might not be equal to digital feed "B" because it is "digital". Thats is the fun of the experiment.

stuofsci: ohhh, they are cheaper now than they were inthe past. I thought a new model would come on the market.

It shockes me. They have so good product! Seems to me typical American way of of thinking: I make not enough money today, so stop directly. In the contrary to German thinking: we make a good product, we should develop it more, people will buy our quality product!
        See the power of German industry on the planet. (Iam not German btw)
        Stupid to stop. A high end transport, with superb apps for 200 €???
        Anyway, some clever man wil take over the rights for little money I hope....

Comment

• slauten
          • Aug 2011

I'm crossing my fingers that Classe announces an update costing about $500 for the CP-800 at Cedia show this week. That's what the rumors were earlier this year, a fall announcement. Anybody in the "know" about this?

See Ya,
          Steve
          Last edited by slauten; 04 September 2012, 18:05 Tuesday.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by gerardhn
            aarsoe: I dont see the point of your 2 sentences. Digital feed "A" might not be equal to digital feed "B" because it is "digital". Thats is the fun of the experiment.

stuofsci: ohhh, they are cheaper now than they were inthe past. I thought a new model would come on the market.

It shockes me. They have so good product! Seems to me typical American way of of thinking: I make not enough money today, so stop directly. In the contrary to German thinking: we make a good product, we should develop it more, people will buy our quality product!
            See the power of German industry on the planet. (Iam not German btw)
            Stupid to stop. A high end transport, with superb apps for 200 €???
            Anyway, some clever man wil take over the rights for little money I hope....
            I hope you are right that someone takes it over, but I understand why they stopped.

Logitech is a public company and has responsibility to share holders to make money. Even if they have a great product, it is certainly low margin and competes against apple TV etc. Most people don't care how good it is, just the price.

So I am sure Logitech looks at it as a drain on resources to fight a battle they have little chance to win... And if they do win some market share the margins are low. I am certain they have other products which would have higher return with the same resources invested..

Painful for us, but a simple business decision.
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by slauten
              I'm crossing my fingers that Classe announces an update costing about $500 for the CP-800 at Cedia show this week. That's what the rumors were earlier this year, a fall announcement. Anybody in the "know" about this?
              I am not yet in the "know" but I have an appointment with Dave Nauber on Thursday morning. We'll see.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• slauten
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                I am not yet in the "know" but I have an appointment with Dave Nauber on Thursday morning. We'll see.
                That's great! Bend his arm on CP-800 and SSP-800 updates.

See Ya,
                Steve

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

That's great! Bend his arm on CP-800 and SSP-800 updates.
                  That is my aim.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• mjb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                    I hope you are right that someone takes it over, but I understand why they stopped.

Logitech is a public company and has responsibility to share holders to make money. Even if they have a great product, it is certainly low margin and competes against apple TV etc. Most people don't care how good it is, just the price.

So I am sure Logitech looks at it as a drain on resources to fight a battle they have little chance to win... And if they do win some market share the margins are low. I am certain they have other products which would have higher return with the same resources invested..

Painful for us, but a simple business decision.
                    The shame of it is, Squeezebox was a great product supported by an enthusiastic open source community. But Slim Devices sold out to Logitech in 2006, Sean Adams became a millionaire, and 6 years later Logitech kill it.
                    - Mike

Main System:
                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• stuofsci02
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by mjb
                      The shame of it is, Squeezebox was a great product supported by an enthusiastic open source community. But Slim Devices sold out to Logitech in 2006, Sean Adams became a millionaire, and 6 years later Logitech kill it.
                      Indeed.. My Squeezebox Classic is an original Slim Device.....
                      Main System:
                      B&W 801D
                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                      Oppo BDP-105
                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                      B&W CM7
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Emotiva UPA-2
                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• gerardhn
                        • Jun 2005

I waited a long time for this upgrade. Took so long time that bought the touch. So if announcement soon, it will be not before christmass available. I will not be the first one buying it now. Wait forum reactions. But I doubt if they can beat the well developed Logitech touch.

Comment

• leo2498
                          • Feb 2012

Hi Kal you was know something about this? I will buy one in a few week and if it will come maybe I need wait for it.
                          Leo,
                          Saludos
                          My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by leo2498
                            Hi Kal you was know something about this? I will buy one in a few week and if it will come maybe I need wait for it.
                            We spoke about it and I can confirm that it definitely is coming but I cannot say when.
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• slauten
                              • Aug 2011

We spoke about it and I can confirm that it definitely is coming but I cannot say when.
                              Kal-how did your meeting go with Dave Nauber? Anything you can share with us?

See Ya,
                              Steve

Comment

• leo2498
                                • Feb 2012

many thanks for your answer Kal. :T
                                Leo,
                                Saludos
                                My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

Kal-how did your meeting go with Dave Nauber? Anything you can share with us?
                                  It went well but I have nothing more that I can share.
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• slauten
                                    • Aug 2011

It went well but I have nothing more that I can share.
                                    Well let's hope that is good news.

Steve

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2006

Well let's hope that is good news.
                                      If you are patient, it is.
                                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• slauten
                                        • Aug 2011

If you are patient, it is.
                                        I'm definitely patient...many are not. At some point one has to question Classe logic on hardware updates. As is the CP-800 is one of the best preamps offered, specially in its price range. If Classe simply delivered on the "implied" upgrades in the next few months it would certainly be favorable for Classe, and position the CP-800 where it remains an industry leader.

For the most part the same applies to the SSP-800.

As a business owner...I want every competitive edge I can get that positions me at the top of my desired market segment. Of course at a fair profit. I would rather see Classe charge a higher upgrade price and speed things up. I'm in this for the long run, so I can wait. I do however question the snails pace that Classe seems to be moving on updates. I don't get the logic behind the lack of urgency they seem to have? Other than these issues I feel Classe is an awesome provider of audio gear.

See Ya,
                                        Steve

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2006

I completely agree with you. My interest in processors (mostly MCH) is professional and personal, so having a more rapid pace (or, at least, a public and predictable pace) for the upgrades would help those of us in the market. As an example, each of the prepros that I would consider has an important feature that others lack but, also, lacks a feature that others have. To choose, one would like to have reliable information on what to expect in the next 1-2 years before one buys in.

Frankly, this is new to the high end where, traditionally, technical progress was so slow that one could buy with security. The other side of this coin is that it is equally stressful for the manufacturers as technology charges ahead and they watch what their competitors are doing.
                                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Classe has to grapple with internal challenges as much as they do with the technology. What we are really talking about here are the lack of modern conveniences. If the ultimate goal for the maker and the buyer is sound quality at a price point that is within "reasonable" reach then Classe has already met that challenge. No need to be patient.
                                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• slauten
                                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                              Classe has to grapple with internal challenges as much as they do with the technology. What we are really talking about here are the lack of modern conveniences. If the ultimate goal for the maker and the buyer is sound quality at a price point that is within "reasonable" reach then Classe has already met that challenge. No need to be patient.
                                              When I bought my CP-800 I understood that the ethernet port was for a "future upgrade" and I knew going in it could be a while before that upgrade was released. I'm surprised that the upgrade has not been released...mainly because the CP-800 was designed with the upgrade in mind. I realize a lot of time and effort goes into designing these products, and upgrades too. Sitting on the outside looking in...it does not appear Classe is in much of a hurry. I think "internal challenges" is a major reason Classe has been fairly silent recently. In addition if the CP-800 and SSP/CT-800 are selling well, and there's a backlog in getting those units made, why worry about an upgrade?

I'm a novice in the premium audio gear game. I'm still experimenting with settings on my CP-800 and SSP-800 so i plenty to keep me busy for the time being.

See Ya,
                                              Steve

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                • Jun 2005

any new experiences with cp800/logitech touch on the planet??

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                  • Oct 2003

A freind of mine and I are both considering the CP-800... but how can we commit when there is no insight as to when the upgrade will come and the extra costs involved?

I am sure we are not alone.

Comment

• Sasha99
                                                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stevebez
                                                    A freind of mine and I are both considering the CP-800... but how can we commit when there is no insight as to when the upgrade will come and the extra costs involved?

I am sure we are not alone.
                                                    Your are not alone. I am having same dilemma. I would like to se their USB upgraded to 24/192 as well. My current DAC does it already....

Comment

• fourxmotion
                                                      • Aug 2009

The plan is to upgrade USB to 24/192 also.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                        • Oct 2003

yep .. more plans .. less concrete results.

Adding "Airplay" would solve allot of issues too. Direct access to any wired based NAS should be a minimum.

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"