X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

The most expensive Ethernet cable I've ever seen

I thought this was a joke when I first saw it. Sometimes I think people are a little harsh on Denon. Then I see things like this... AK-DL1
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

They have seriously lost the plot...

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

I don't think it's any different than people who buy "high end" cables. Pure foolishness.
      A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

There is a huge difference. An ethernet cable cannot really be made any better. Audio cables on the other hand can be in many aspects.

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

I don't necessarily equate it to the "high-end" audio cable debate where certain variables can lead to subjective opinion. This is a simple data cable being masqueraded as an "high-end" audio cable. More so it's an Ethernet cable that at $20 has 10x more bandwidth than Denon-Link will ever need.
          Santino

Comment

• greenhorn
            • Feb 2007

"high performance connection parts"

Plug looks plastic to me.

Comment

• Allegiance
              • Sep 2006

I am quite a Denon fan, but that is ridiculous. I would never pay that, hell you could get shielded CAT7 ALOT cheaper! :evil:

At least the cable looks nice though :B

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

I guess it depends on what kind of signal the cable is carrying. If it's Ethernet, yes, any old Ethernet cable will work. But if it's carrying audio or SPDIF digital audio, which is susceptible to jitter and other timing issues, a higher grade cable can make a difference (as the Silvercat Digital proves).

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
                  I guess it depends on what kind of signal the cable is carrying. If it's Ethernet, yes, any old Ethernet cable will work. But if it's carrying audio or SPDIF digital audio, which is susceptible to jitter and other timing issues, a higher grade cable can make a difference (as the Silvercat Digital proves).
                  Digital signal is not susceptible to jitter at the media level (cable).
                  Go to Amazon and look up that Denon cable. The reviews are funny.
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

But it's not an ethernet cable... it's a "Denon Link" cable... gah

:roll:
                    -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

I'm buying two JUST in case I ever get anything Denon and in case one of them isn't high enough of a performance cable. :T :rofl:
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

I suppose the million dollar question is, has anyone used a regular Ethernet cable in place of a Denon Link cable, and does it work?

Comment

• impala454
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007

well if you look at the zoomed pics on their site, you can see the wire order is the same on both ends... so unless they recolored one end just to throw people off it's just a straight ethernet cable
                          -Chuck

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal transfer.
                            mmm, I'll have to start drawing arrows on my cables so the electrons know which way they're supposed to go - except the arrow on Denons cable is pointing in both directions. Of couse, an ethernet cable needs to send AND receive.
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• dknightd
                              • Mar 2006

They probably are making it due to customer demand. Some people like to use expensive cables, it makes them happy

Edit: If it really is just an ethernet cable, maybe I should get one
                              for my computer - it would probably make web browsing more enjoyable,
                              and my posts more intelligible.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

HD Internet!
                                -Chuck

Comment

• littlesaint
                                  • Jul 2007

I suppose the million dollar question is, has anyone used a regular Ethernet cable in place of a Denon Link cable, and does it work?
                                  I haven't done it myself, but I have talked to people who do use a CAT6 cable. I will say that at longer distances and in areas with a high amount of EMI, cheap CAT5/6/7 can have reduced performance, but I'm talking about 10s of meters of distance. Considering the 1.5M length of this cable, I can see no performance advantage over cheap category cable.
                                  Santino

Comment

• Kevin P
                                    • Aug 2000

Maybe a new market opportunity for CAT Cables. High-end Ethernet cables for Denon equipment (and 'puter networks too!)

Comment

• peterS
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

someone will buy it, hence Denon makes it. probably something that gets thrown in with a package deal by sales people anyways

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by peterS
                                        someone will buy it, hence Denon makes it. probably something that gets thrown in with a package deal by sales people anyways
                                        They are customers for everything, that is why it is a free economy
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• littlesaint
                                          • Jul 2007

NetworkWorld has a blurb about this, and the link has made the front page of Digg. At least Denon will get some free advertising out of it, though from the comments, not very good advertising.
                                          Santino

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

Well this really isn't any different than a lot of companies do. Like Best Buy trying to push off a $150 monster power strip when a customer buys a $400 HTIB. Pushing expensive accessories has become the boon of CE it seems.
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

Maybe I should get into the "high-end ethernet cable" business. I already have much of the raw materials, just would need to get the fancy jacket material and custom plug covers, and then I could enjoy huge markups too.

50 cents worth of raw materials, charge $200 for it (have to undercut Denon's price somewhat), and get rich. :lol:

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                • Nov 2003

Maybe I should get into the "high-end ethernet cable" business. I already have much of the raw materials, just would need to get the fancy jacket material and custom plug covers, and then I could enjoy huge markups too.

50 cents worth of raw materials, charge $200 for it (have to undercut Denon's price somewhat), and get rich. :lol:
                                                Thats not an implication also of highend audio cables reviewed in stereophlie which may also overpriced ?
                                                Robert

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by H.T.C
                                                  Thats not an implication also of highend audio cables reviewed in stereophlie which may also overpriced ?
                                                  Audio != Ethernet. Besides, a lot of highend audio cables really ARE better (silver conductors, gold plated plugs, etc. Try CAT Cables and you'll know.) This Denon Link cable appears to be nothing more than an ordinary $1 Ethernet cable with "fancy" plastic covers on the plugs. Basically a "Monster" Ethernet cable.

This is more analogous to a company putting fancy plug covers on a 50 cent "pack-in" audio cable and then selling it for $500.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                    • Aug 2000

You can buy a "refurbished" one for $999. :B The comments (spelling errors are as-is): "I bought one, and then upgraded it by wraping the whole cable in platnum foil. In fact I used the excess foil to make this nifty listening hat that also improves sound quality. Hat is optional." :rofl:

Comment

• pbarach
                                                      • Feb 2007

DenonLink **is** just an ordinary ethernet cable

I got a Dlink III cable in the box with either my Denon 3805 receiver or Denon 3910 player, I can't remember which. It's an ordinary piece of ethernet cable, and the digital sound transmitted over the cable sounds exactly the same as the digital sound transmitted over a coaxial cable connecting these two pieces of equipment. The only advantage of DLink over coaxial is that you can send SACD and DVD-A signals digitally to the receiver, which allows you to use the receiver's RoomEQ feature on hi-rez sound. If that feature is turned off, there is no detectable (to me) difference between the DLink and coaxial connections on any disc that I've played.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
                                                        They probably are making it due to customer demand. Some people like to use expensive cables, it makes them happy

Edit: If it really is just an ethernet cable, maybe I should get one
                                                        for my computer - it would probably make web browsing more enjoyable,
                                                        and my posts more intelligible.

Gonna take a helluva lot more than a cable to make my posts intelligible.
                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• tomagardner
                                                          • Nov 2006

I like the special tin coating!

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Expensive cables are not new,

Check this out: Speaker cables, $6750 per eight-foot pair.:nono:

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"